PDA

View Full Version : how to think positionally...

Thunderduck
05-31-2005, 02:36 PM
In chess, a good player can see ahead up to 12 moves sometimes in complicated positions... Is pool the same? Does a good pool player plan the entire table? How many shots ahead should a player think about? Right now I'm a beginner and only look one ahead... I think about how to make the OB and set up my next shot only, I dont think about balls 3,4,5, etc... until I get to them... is this wrong? How many moves ahead should I think?

tduck

Patrick
05-31-2005, 02:52 PM
If you practice CUEBALL CONTROL: think 1 ball ahead. If you practice to win: think to the END.

pooltchr
05-31-2005, 07:12 PM
Every time you step to the table, you need to evaluate the entire table to determine if there are any problems that will prevent you from running out. As you work your plan, you need to think 3 balls at a time...the ball your are shooting, how you will get to the next ball, and where you need to be on that one to be able to have a path to the third. As you make one, add the next one to be always considering 3.

A good drill is to just throw 3 balls out on the table and plan how to run all 3. When you can do that, start adding one more ball at a time. Eventually, running 9 will start to happen for you.

Patience, and progressive drills!
Good Luck.
Steve

Fran Crimi
05-31-2005, 08:25 PM
One of my most vivid memories of my early days playing pool was my frustration of wondering how I was ever going to learn how to play position. It seemed like there were so many options; so many different possibilities. Which was the best way? How could I possibly do all that figuring and planning and still execute the shots? How far ahead was I supposed to plan?

It was overwhelming, so I talked to one of the old-timers about it. In-between cigar puffs, he told me what to do.

He said, "Just keep playing people who are slightly better than you. You'll be able to figure out what they do and how to do it too. But don't play people a lot better than you, because you won't be able to understand what they're doing."

I took his advice, kept playing players slightly better than me and stopped thinking about my problem. One day I suddenly realized I was playing position for the third ball. The next day I went out and bought that old man a box of cigars. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran

disturbed_won
05-31-2005, 08:40 PM
I just learned the position i dunno how i just look at the table when i approach it and set up every ball down to the 8 and if it doesnt work out i reset up the shots that and many many hours of practice......I play like 20 - 30 hrs a week