PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Pool Matches ever on dvd/vhs?

recoveryjones
05-31-2005, 10:32 PM
I recentley obtained the full set of the famous "Color of Money" match (held in Hong Kong for $100,000 winner take all) between Reyes and Strickland.Most pool players(99%) know who the winner was and that he won by a very close score of 120-117.I'll keep that winner anonmonyous for the 1 % of pool players who don't know who won and might want to buy the set from accu stats.

This was a great great match between two high end nine ball players,perhaps the greatest two ever.237 racks of high end nine ball with lots of rack runouts and great shots throughout.

I also recentley got to see the complete match(2004 World pool Championship) between Pagulayan and Fong Pang Chao an 11-10 thriller which featured a fantastic hill-hill game and a 5 pack from Chao as he mounted a furious comeback.I 've also seen the match with Efrens famous kick called "the shot heard around the world."

I was wondering what everyones top matches on video/dvd, accustat,TV or otherwise that they've ever witnessed.I favour nine ball,however,feel free to itemize great straight,8 ball, one pocket, 3 cushion,snooker matches or anything else.

I'm interested in aquiring high end dvd/vhs quality matches that are considered amongst the best matches ever seen.Any feedback,much appreciated. RJ

Wally_in_Cincy
06-01-2005, 05:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr>
...I also recentley got to see the complete match(2004 World pool Championship) between Pagulayan and Fong Pang Chao an 11-10 thriller which featured a fantastic hill-hill game and a 5 pack from Chao as he mounted a furious comeback....<hr /></blockquote>

Is matchroom selling any DVD's of that? I haven't visited their site in a while.

tjlmbklr
06-05-2005, 07:54 AM
I myself have a obsession of taping all pool matches on espn, w/ comercials edited out. I have about 18 or so full tapes, weird huh...!

DickLeonard
06-05-2005, 11:48 AM
I think the best three straight pool matches were between Mike Sigel and Mike Zuglan. In the first Match Mike Sigel runs 150 and out in the second game Mike Zuglan runs 138 and loses and in the third game Mike Sigel runs 150 and out.
I don't know how many of the games Accustats got on tape.####

daviddjmp
06-06-2005, 10:23 AM
I would have to say that although Sigel's 150 and out is great and I have that tape, my favorite match is from the 2000 US 14.1 tournament, Jim Rempe goes against Oliver Ortmann. After some safety play and a couple of misses, Ortmann runs 129 balls and has a total of 133. Rempe gets up and in the face of numerous bad rolls and some position play mistakes manages to run 96 then play safe, needing only six more balls. Ortmann then scratches on a safety and Rempe picks a dead ball out of the stack. Pulls the trigger and the cue ball caroms into the one ball which knocks the 8 off line, it was going right in the middle of the pocket.

I am sorry Rempe lost, but his 96 ball run is one of the most amazing I have ever seen.

tateuts
06-06-2005, 12:15 PM
To me it was the 11-0 wallop that Corey Deuel played on Mika in the U.S. Open final a few years ago.

Another one if you really want to see some incredbile 9 ball shooting is when Fong Pang Chao ran over Morro Paez in the WPC finals - I think that was 2000 WPC.

Chris

kyle
06-06-2005, 12:31 PM
I can never get enough of Efren beating Earl, 95 sands.

wolfdancer
06-06-2005, 02:47 PM
Maybe not the greatest match but there's one Sigel against Varner...Mike plays great, gets a huge early lead, before Nick comes back...later on Sigal is on the hill, and Nick wins three or four, to tie it up....then in the case game, Varner is running out,misses a routine 9 ball into the side pocket...and the nine and cueball end up frozen, with no shot for Mike...who angrily jumps the cueball off the table.
There's a tape around of a finals match Sigel against Warren "Monk" Costanza.
in LV, for around a $30k first prize....circa 1980's
I think the format was best of three, races to five.
In the match game Sigel is running out, but hooks himself on the nine, the cueball stuck on the side cushion...not sure how he hooked himself
Anyway, he makes a great kick leaves the nine on one end cushion, the cueball on the other...and Monk cuts it in...then "passed out"
I've got a ton of accu-stat matches, over 100, with about half featuring Efran..including the Hong Kong match....
but my own favorites are my one-pocket matches
featuring pool players that think....it's a radical concept