PDA

View Full Version : Chris Cass Memorial Fund

SPetty
06-01-2005, 07:54 AM
In another post, we discussed making a collection for Karatemom and Spike (Heide and Christ), as they are definitely in financial need after this long, hard illness.

I created a new email address for use for this, and associated it with my PayPal account. If you'd care to make a contribution to the Chris Cass Memorial Fund, all proceeds going to Heide, please send your PayPal payment to:

SPettyPayPal@aol.com

I will cover all PayPal fees. All monies you contribute will go directly to Heide.

I will keep a list of day/date and amount received that will be available to anyone at any time to make sure that your contribution was received.

I'll kick it off with $100 donation. I'll keep this thread posted with daily updates.

If you'd rather send a check, please PM me for my address.

Barbara
06-01-2005, 08:02 AM
You've got mail!

Barbara

Wally_in_Cincy
06-01-2005, 08:33 AM
Thank you

PBat51
06-01-2005, 10:42 AM
Mail's in

yegon
06-01-2005, 12:20 PM
I am not familiar with paypal, the only thing I know is they do not accept credit cards from slovakia. How can I contribute?

SPetty
06-01-2005, 01:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote yegon:</font><hr> I am not familiar with paypal, the only thing I know is they do not accept credit cards from slovakia. How can I contribute? <hr /></blockquote>yegon, I'm sorry, I have no idea how to get money from slovakia to the US. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

SPetty
06-01-2005, 01:52 PM
We've made a good start on our first day, with six donations totaling $500, plus the promise of three more donations via snail mail.

If you'd like to contribute, send your PayPal contribution to:

SPettyPayPal@aol.com

yegon
06-01-2005, 09:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote yegon:</font><hr> I am not familiar with paypal, the only thing I know is they do not accept credit cards from slovakia. How can I contribute? <hr /></blockquote>yegon, I'm sorry, I have no idea how to get money from slovakia to the US. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif <hr /></blockquote>

if you have a bank account I could send money per wire transfer, I would need the account number and bank details

tateuts
06-02-2005, 01:46 AM
This is a good idea.

SPetty
06-02-2005, 02:55 PM
We are up to $625 in donations plus the promise of eight "check's in the mail".

Very generous of everyone.

Rod
06-02-2005, 10:55 PM
Hi Spetty, well I'll match that. You got paypal. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod

Brian in VA
06-03-2005, 06:50 AM
You got mail SPetty!

dmgwalsh
06-03-2005, 09:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> We've made a good start on our first day, with six donations totaling $500, plus the promise of three more donations via snail mail.

If you'd like to contribute, send your PayPal contribution to:

SPettyPayPal@aol.com
<hr /></blockquote>

I'm in. Dennis Walsh

Sid_Vicious
06-03-2005, 10:29 AM
Will you happen to be into Dallas anytime this weekend so we can connect in person? If not, please e-mail your home address, I don't do paypal. Great idea, thanks!!!sid

Cueless Joey
06-03-2005, 10:39 AM
Thank you SP.
Just sent a small donation.

SPetty
06-03-2005, 03:06 PM
I am amazed at the generosity of the people on this board.

We have raised $950 cash so far, three people have told me "the check's in the mail", and another seven people have said they'll be sending soon.

Very nice. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

St Paul Gal
06-04-2005, 10:59 AM
Thanks for doing this Susan. You got mail, sweetie...

SPetty
06-06-2005, 08:00 AM
I heard from Heide this weekend. She said that she and Spike were holding up well under the circumstances. She's briefly checked the board and appreciates the thoughts and remembrances, although "there are no words to describe how I feel about you all."

Our fund for Heide and Christ has made it up to $1200 over the weekend. And this is just the PayPal donations. I haven't yet received any snail mail, although I expect that to change this week.

Good going, CCBers. What a thoughtful and generous bunch.

Deeman2
06-06-2005, 08:04 AM
SPetty,

I put my check in the mail on Saturday, in case I don't make it this Saturday. Tori has a trail ride at Wills Point on Saturday so if you are going to be around at noon or Dr. Pool will be there, I will swing on by.

Thanks for doing this for us.

Deeman

SPetty
06-06-2005, 05:36 PM
I've just got to say I'm in awe of the generosity of this board. Although we didn't get any PayPal payments today, there was $350 in cash and checks in my mail when I got home.

Together, we've raised $1,550 for Heide and Spike!

If you'd like to contribute via PayPal, please send your payment to the email address

SPettyPayPal@aol.com

I'll be sending Heide the first check for $1000 tomorrow. (There are a couple of PayPal checks and snail mail checks to "clear" before I send that...)

Bunch of good people here! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9 Ball Girl
06-06-2005, 06:25 PM
Hi SPetty!

The check's in the mail! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cueball1950
06-06-2005, 07:57 PM
so is mine spetty....................mike

JimS
06-08-2005, 05:19 AM
bump

This needs to be kept towards the top.

Don't miss out on a chance to do the right thing.

rukiddingme
06-08-2005, 07:22 AM
Sending out a check today.
ruk

yegon
06-08-2005, 07:32 AM
I was at my bank today and sent money too. I don't really know how it gets to you from Slovakia, it should be a check from some partner US bank. I hope it gets there without problems.

SPetty
06-08-2005, 08:04 AM
Thanks, Jim. I've been trying to keep it near with top with daily updates, although I had trouble with the weekend, and didn't update yesterday evening...

We received two more PayPal donations and two checks in the mail yesterday. Our total is now at $1875 collected for Heide and Spike.

I'm not doing anything special to let the PayPal donator's know their contribution is received, but I'm sending PMs to folks as I receive their checks. If you've sent a check but haven't received a PM from me, I haven't received your check (yet).

I sent a check to Heide for $1000 yesterday.

yegon, I'll let you know when I get yours. Thank you, again, everyone, for your generosity.

cueball1950
06-08-2005, 01:57 PM
your 1 heck of a gal there Spetty. kep up the godd work.............................mike

rukiddingme
06-10-2005, 11:21 PM
Lets keep this thread at the top.
If you have not yet been able to make a donation please do so. Anything is better than nothing.
ruk

SPetty
06-11-2005, 06:18 AM
I wanted to share a little of what Heide has written in response to your generosity:

"I really just don't have the words to describe what everyone at the CCB means to me." "I would never be able to find the right words to say to everyone there. They all mean so much to me."

But here's some words she included and said I could post:

"Spike and I are holding up just fine. The first few days were tough, but something happened to me on the Sunday after Chris passed. It was as if he jumped inside my heart and said that everything was ok and to go on with my life. I still feel him there too and it's a good feeling. All of his (our) friends are keeping their eyes on us, especially Spike. They are making sure that he is still doing things that a 12 year old should be doing - like fishing, swimming, riding bikes, etc. Greatest bunch of people I've ever met are the people who shoot pool."

Our donations are still at $1875. Heide should be getting our first check for $1000 any time now. She's having some car difficulties, so it'll come in real handy right about now.

JimS
06-13-2005, 04:30 AM
Bump

SPetty
06-13-2005, 05:59 AM
Thanks, Jim.

We received an additional $300 over the weekend, bringing our total raised to $2175.

There are still a few outstanding checks - folks that said they're sending checks that aren't here yet. It's not too late to send your contribution via PayPal to SPettyPayPal@aol.com.

I haven't heard from Heide that she's received our first check, and I'd kinda like that confirmation before I send out our second check - do I have the address right? kind of thing. As soon as I hear from her, I'll send our second check for $1000, then follow up with the remainder when the rest is in.

Is that O.K. with everyone? I hope I'm doing it the way you want me to. This isn't "my" deal, this is your deal. You are a tremendously good bunch of people.

Rich R.
06-13-2005, 06:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Is that O.K. with everyone? I hope I'm doing it the way you want me to. This isn't "my" deal, this is your deal. You are a tremendously good bunch of people. <hr /></blockquote>
Your doing just fine. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ras314
06-13-2005, 06:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> I hope I'm doing it the way you want me to. <hr /></blockquote>

SPetty, you are the one doing the process, you do things however works best for you. And Heide, of course.

9 Ball Girl
06-13-2005, 07:55 AM
Hi Spetty. When you get mine (if you haven't already that is), please complete the rest of it (Heide's address). I sent it out on Wednesday AM. Thanks!

rukiddingme
06-15-2005, 08:10 AM
ttt

SPetty
06-15-2005, 08:37 AM
I heard from Heide that she's received our first check. She writes:

"My gosh is this going to help. The car will be done by tomorrow or Wednesday and Wednesday is bill paying day around here. Plus, Spike got good grades this year and passed 7th grade and I always get him a gift when his grades are good, all A's and B's this time, so I bought him a basketball hoop. Probably shouldn't have, but he earned it."

I sent our second check for $1000 to Heide yesterday.

Together, the good people of the CCB have raised $2225(!) so far to help our beloved Chris' family. I know I've said it before, but I am amazed by you and your goodness of heart.

If you haven't yet contributed but wanted to, please consider saving it and using it for the US Open raffle items. I don't mean to sound unpleasant, but this fundraising has just about run its course. Waiting for the checks to dribble in is difficult.

If you have not received a PM from me that I've received your check, then I have NOT received your check. There are a few that said they have sent or will send checks, that I have not received.

If you'd like to contribute via PayPal, that avenue is still open. Send payment to
SPettyPayPal@aol.com

There are a couple of folks who preferred that their contribution be anonymous. I will be sending Heide a list of all who contributed to the fund, although leaving out the amounts individually contributed. Let me know if you haven't already if you wanted to be anonymous on that list.

SPetty
06-15-2005, 09:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Together, the good people of the CCB have raised $2225(!) so far to help our beloved Chris' family. <hr /></blockquote>ahem... Due to recent activity, I need to revise that to $2725 (!!!)

Barbara
06-15-2005, 10:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Together, the good people of the CCB have raised $2225(!) so far to help our beloved Chris' family. <hr /></blockquote>ahem... Due to recent activity, I need to revise that to $2725 (!!!) <hr /></blockquote>

Woohoo!!

If you already have Heide's addy and sent her something or want to send her something, let SPetty know so she can include you on the list of donators. That is, if you want the recognition.

Barbara

Brian in VA
06-15-2005, 02:34 PM
SPetty,

You are to be commended for taking the time and effort to do this on behalf of everyone. $2725! I'm proud to say I'm a member of such a rich and generous community of people. You're all the best!

Brian in VA

rukiddingme
06-16-2005, 11:31 PM
ttt
ruk

NH_Steve
06-17-2005, 05:41 AM
SPetty, thanks for doing this for Heidi and Spike, and for Chris's memory. Their whole story over the last year or so has been pretty touching. I chipped in a little in memory of Chris's interest in the game of One Pocket.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-17-2005, 07:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Together, the good people of the CCB have raised $2225(!) so far to help our beloved Chris' family. <hr /></blockquote>ahem... Due to recent activity, I need to revise that to $2725 (!!!) <hr /></blockquote>

That's awesome. God bless whoever did that.

SPetty
06-20-2005, 10:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Brian in VA:</font><hr> $2725! I'm proud to say I'm a member of such a rich and generous community of people. You're all the best!<hr /></blockquote>I'd have to agree wtih you, Brian. Over the weekend, our total raised for the family ran up to $2950 !!!

rukiddingme
06-20-2005, 11:04 PM
W O W !!!
Lets try to get over 3 by the end of the month!
ruk

CarolNYC
06-21-2005, 06:43 AM
Hi RUK,
Its going over "3"!!!!!!!!!
Take care!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SPetty
06-21-2005, 08:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote yegon:</font><hr> I was at my bank today and sent money too. I don't really know how it gets to you from Slovakia, it should be a check from some partner US bank. I hope it gets there without problems. <hr /></blockquote>We got a check for Heide from Slovakia!

Our total for Heide and Christ this morning is up to $3075!

rukiddingme
06-21-2005, 08:53 AM
Unbeleivable!
I still think we should keep this going until the end of the month. People get paid at the end of the month and have a little available.
Instead of going out to dinner or a movie they could consider making a donation. Every little bit helps...

I am so proud of this CCB fellowship it just brings tears to my eyes.
ruk

SPetty
06-21-2005, 09:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rukiddingme:</font><hr> Unbelievable!

I am so proud of this CCB fellowship it just brings tears to my eyes. <hr /></blockquote>
It would be nice to be able to keep this up forever, but the reality is that the contributions have dwindled down now and it has about run its course. Those of us who wanted to and were able to contribute have already done so - I don't think we were intending to entice or beg anyone to contribute - just offering them a way of being a part of "this CCB fellowship" if they felt so inclined. Chris has helped us and been our friend for years, so as his friends, in Chris' absence, we now have had a chance to help his family in their time of need.

I'm still waiting on at least one outstanding check that I believe has been sent. If you have not received a PM from me that I've received your check, then I have NOT received your check.

If you haven't yet contributed but wanted to, please consider saving it and using it for the US Open raffle items.

If you'd like to contribute via PayPal, that avenue is still open for a few more days. Send payment to:

SPettyPayPal@aol.com

Like ruk, I'm proud to be associated with y'all. Well... most of y'all. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ross
06-21-2005, 02:02 PM
Spetty - You got mail.

SPetty
06-22-2005, 01:32 PM
Congratulations, CCB. You have completely and totally surpassed anything that I could have imagined with your amazingly generous fundraising activity for the family of Chris Cass.

Our final total raised for Heide and Spike is: $3,225.00.

I have already sent $2,050 to Heide, so I will be sending her our final check for $1,175 very soon.

I have sent several emails, but haven't heard back from Heide recently. The last I heard from her was June 13, acknowledging receipt of our first check. Is anyone else in contact with her? Should I wait until I hear from her before sending the last check, or should I just send it?

If you've asked to be anonymous, I won't include your name on the list of contributors that I'll be emailing to Heide when I send the last check - you'll just be one of the "several others who requested to be anonymous". If you haven't asked for anonymity, I'll include your name and screen name (although there was one contribution whose name I didn't recognize and I don't know his screen name and he didn't answer when I asked...). Am I supposed to post that list here?

If you haven't yet contributed but wanted to, please consider saving it and using it for the US Open raffle items.

Good job, guys!

tateuts
06-22-2005, 01:41 PM
I don't think most would object to having the list posted here, although the individual contributed amounts might be kept confidential.

I would if think anyone made a particularly generous donation, it might be acknowledged unless they wished to remain anon.

Chris

Steve Lipsky
06-22-2005, 03:32 PM
Hi Spetty... First, thank you so much for organizing this.

I must admit that I do not think the list should be published here. There may be some people on the board who would have loved to help, but their financial circumstances at the time would not allow it. This list will become a who's who, and any of the more "popular" names on the board who did not contribute will stick out quite blatantly. And I don't think that's fair, considering we do not know what circumstances (if any) may have led them to not being able to contribute.

It's just my opinion. Again, thank you so much for all you have done.

- Steve

SPetty
06-22-2005, 08:46 PM
Good insight, Steve. I came to the same conclusion during my afternoon commute shortly after posting that. I do think, though, that the list of contributors should be made available on request to anyone who was a contributor. Of course, leaving out the contributed amounts and those folks who asked to remain anonymous.

JimS
06-23-2005, 04:44 AM
I don't think the list of contributors should be posted here and I don't think it should be available to contributors. It's none of my, or anyone's, business who contributed and there is no purpose served by makeing the list available.

rukiddingme
06-23-2005, 01:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> I don't think the list of contributors should be posted here and I don't think it should be available to contributors. It's none of my, or anyone's, business who contributed and there is no purpose served by makeing the list available. <hr /></blockquote>

I agree with Jim. Who contributed is none of my business but I do think Heide should know who did unless they requested to remain anonymous.
JMHO
ruk

Deeman2
06-23-2005, 02:28 PM
If we did this for the right reasons, and I know we did, the amounts and names don't matter.

Deeman

Harold Acosta
06-23-2005, 07:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> Hi Spetty... First, thank you so much for organizing this.

I must admit that I do not think the list should be published here. There may be some people on the board who would have loved to help, but their financial circumstances at the time would not allow it. This list will become a who's who, and any of the more "popular" names on the board who did not contribute will stick out quite blatantly. And I don't think that's fair, considering we do not know what circumstances (if any) may have led them to not being able to contribute.

It's just my opinion. Again, thank you so much for all you have done.

- Steve <hr /></blockquote>

I "second" that thought.....

SPetty
06-29-2005, 09:30 AM
I heard from Heide last Friday. She's missing Chris, but they're keeping busy. She said "My goodness, I don't know how on earth to thank all of you."

As I reported earlier, we raised $3,225 for Heide and Christ. Our final check to her for $1,175 went out last Friday, so she should be receiving it soon.

We're good people. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif You guys are awesome and I'm truly honored to be among you.

As far as I know, none of the checks sent to me bounced - even the one from Slovakia! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

(Thanks for the reminder, ruk...)

Rich R.
06-29-2005, 10:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> As I reported earlier, we raised $3,225 for Heide and Christ. Our final check to her for $1,175 went out last Friday, so she should be receiving it soon.

We're good people. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif You guys are awesome and I'm truly honored to be among you.

As far as I know, none of the checks sent to me bounced - even the one from Slovakia! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

(Thanks for the reminder, ruk...) <hr /></blockquote>
Tap, Tap, Tap. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nostroke
06-29-2005, 02:50 PM
I dont think it should be made available to anyone unless specifically authorized by the contributor.

SPetty
07-01-2005, 10:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> As I reported earlier, we raised $3,225 for Heide and Christ. Our final check to her for $1,175 went out last Friday, so she should be receiving it soon.<hr /></blockquote>I received another donation, and have sent one more check to Heide for $100, going out today. Our grand total raised is now $3,325.

I heard from Heide to let me know she received our final check, and she writes:

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Heide:</font><hr>My email is down for some reason and it is one of the last things I need to be worrying about today, lol. Took the day off to finish up a few loose ends. I have a car to get ready to sell, and a few more rooms to clean out.

I received the last check this week. And again, I just don't know what to say.

I do stop here on the board every now and then to see what's up. I have picked up shooting again and am 2 leagues. One is a bar league, partners 8 ball, which is ok, and the other will start next week, regular ACS/BCA singles 8 ball. My interest isn't what it used to be, but I'm trying. I figured that if it's not back by the end of the summer leagues, I will quit for good. But we'll wait and see what happens.

Thanks for everything,
Heide <hr /></blockquote>