PDA

View Full Version : Better playing cue

Drop1
06-01-2005, 12:00 PM
Take the plastic lid off a coffee can,and cut a washer to fit the joint. You have to cut the hole a little wider,because you want the shaft end to be able to screw down. I don't know what the material is they use to make the coffee can covers,but I put the washer on my Tad,and my buddy put it on a Preditor,with a Uni-Loc joint,and I have to say both cues,are better for it.

Nightstalker
06-01-2005, 12:03 PM
Are they both steel jointed cues?

Drop1
06-01-2005, 12:13 PM
Nightstalker,The Tad is not,I believe the Predoator is. I tried it with a wood to wood cue I have,and I liked the feel. I know it sounds odd,but that little half millimeter disk does something.

Drop1
06-02-2005, 12:13 PM
NightStalker, I got my answer from a auto mechanic.He says the connection between the butt and the shaft will tighten down tighter,because the screw on the butt,is shorter than the threads in the shaft;kind of a lock washer effect.

Nostalgia
06-03-2005, 06:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> Take the plastic lid off a coffee can,and cut a washer to fit the joint. You have to cut the hole a little wider,because you want the shaft end to be able to screw down. I don't know what the material is they use to make the coffee can covers,but I put the washer on my Tad,and my buddy put it on a Preditor,with a Uni-Loc joint,and I have to say both cues,are better for it. <hr /></blockquote>

All I can think of is "speed holes." Anyone got an ice pick? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Joe

Nightstalker
06-03-2005, 09:07 AM
Ok, that makes sense that way. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Popcorn
06-03-2005, 09:38 AM
There are several kinds of fits. Two are a jam fit and compression fit. The connection at a cue joint is a compression fit, that's why you can screw it together and take it apart without tools yet you get a solid feel. With the addition of the softer piece you are adding a little softer compression to the joint and I can see it may change the feel of the cue. Especially if the joint does not fit that well in the first place. I see cues all the time that you can screw together and hold the joint up to the light and see space on one side of the joint even though the cue seems to be tight. Even the internals of the joint are compression fit. That's why you use a brass insert and a steel or brass screw. The brass has some give and the screw can seat and unseat it's self easily. If you used a steel insert and steel screw they would lock together and you may need a wrench to get the cue apart.

ceebee
06-03-2005, 10:18 AM
Anybody, but me, ever try using some Teflon Tape to increase the tightness in the screw thread fit? A couple of wraps &amp; the joint screw is tight all the way in. Feels good to me.

catscradle
06-03-2005, 10:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr> Anybody, but me, ever try using some Teflon Tape to increase the tightness in the screw thread fit? A couple of wraps &amp; the joint screw is tight all the way in. Feels good to me. <hr /></blockquote>

The stuff you do pipe joint threads with to make them water-tight?