PDA

View Full Version : One Pocket Rule Question?

Tom_In_Cincy
06-11-2002, 09:55 AM
This came up last nite.

While making a ball in his pocket, he also made two balls into another pocket. There are 5 balls left on the table, Two balls are waiting to be spotted when and if he runs the 5 balls.

Here's the question.. Do both balls get spotted, or just one at a time?
I said both get spotted. But to tell you the truth, I was thinking ahead.. that it would be tougher for him to make either of them if they were both spotted, rather than spot one at a time (which would be easier to get the shape to get out).. it didn't get to that point, he missed his 2nd shot. Both balls were spotted..

But the question still remains.. Both or one at a time?

PQQLK9
06-11-2002, 10:05 AM
I say both also...

Scott Lee
06-11-2002, 10:15 AM
Tom...Both balls are to be spotted (in numerical order) at the end of the offending player's inning.

Scott Lee

Chris Cass
06-11-2002, 10:23 AM
Hi Tom,

Both get spotted after his inning. They both get spotted anyway because he owed both. If he needed the balls to get out? The best position is cb on his side to bank them in but, you could make either ball from behind the headstring also. The cb one ball to either side of the headspot, depending if which of the two frozen balls you wanted to make.

Regards,

C.C.

06-11-2002, 09:16 PM
Say there are 5 balls left on the table and two balls waiting to be spotted. Now say the shooter needs 6 balls to win. If he runs the 5 remaining table balls do 1 or both of the balls get spotted at the same time? And does the shooter continue and have a chance to win? Same questions pretending the shooter needs to make both of the two balls waiting to be spotted.

And am I correct in assuming the answer would be the same for a game of banks? When I use to play banks in the 60s I think all balls waiting to be spotted would be spotted at the same time which was when the shooter made all the remaining balls on the table or when the shooter missed. But my memory could be wrong.

06-11-2002, 10:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Scott Lee:</font><hr> Tom...Both balls are to be spotted (in numerical order) at the end of the offending player's inning.

Scott Lee <hr></blockquote>

In numerical order? /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

I agree that both balls are spotted but the numbers on the balls mean absolutely nothing when playing one pocket.BS

Chris Cass
06-12-2002, 12:11 AM
They do at JimS' house. He's a pefectionist. ROTFLMAO

Scott Lee
06-12-2002, 01:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr>

I agree that both balls are spotted but the numbers on the balls mean absolutely nothing when playing one pocket.BS

<hr></blockquote>

BS...According to the general rules of pocket billiards, which apply to one-pocket too:

3.32 SPOTTING BALLS
When specific game rules call for spotting balls, they shall be replaced on the table on the long string after the stroke is complete. A single ball is placed on the foot spot; if more than one ball is to be spotted, they are placed on the long string in ascending numerical order, beginning on the foot spot and advancing toward the foot rail. When balls on or near the foot spot or long string interfere with the spotting of balls, the balls to be spotted are placed on the extension of the long string &amp;#8220;in front&amp;#8221; of the foot spot (between the foot spot and the center spot), as near as possible to the foot spot and in the same numerical order as if they were spotted &amp;#8220;behind&amp;#8221; the foot spot (lowest numbered ball closest to the foot spot)..

06-12-2002, 02:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Scott Lee:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Anonymous:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt;

&lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

BS...According to the general rules of pocket billiards, which apply to one-pocket too:

3.32 SPOTTING BALLS
When specific game rules call for spotting balls, they shall be replaced on the table on the long string after the stroke is complete. A single ball is placed on the foot spot; if more than one ball is to be spotted, they are placed on the long string in ascending numerical order, beginning on the foot spot and advancing toward the foot rail. When balls on or near the foot spot or long string interfere with the spotting of balls, the balls to be spotted are placed on the extension of the long string &amp;#8220;in front&amp;#8221; of the foot spot (between the foot spot and the center spot), as near as possible to the foot spot and in the same numerical order as if they were spotted &amp;#8220;behind&amp;#8221; the foot spot (lowest numbered ball closest to the foot spot)..

<hr></blockquote>

Apologies to you and your fan club Scott but I insist that the numerals on the balls absolutely mean NOTHING-NADA-ZERO when playing one pocket regardless of what your rule states.

You know it ... I know it ... and anybody that knows anything about pool(which eliminates most on this board) knows it.

Btw,your rule says stroke not inning.BS

06-12-2002, 02:58 AM
Do the balls get spotted after the shooter's shot or stroke that pocketed them? Or do you wait until after the shooter's turn or inning to spot them unless they have to be spotted for the shooter to continue his inning?

06-12-2002, 09:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Eddie G Chgo:</font><hr> Do the balls get spotted after the shooter's shot or stroke that pocketed them? Or do you wait until after the shooter's turn or inning to spot them unless they have to be spotted for the shooter to continue his inning? <hr></blockquote>

He contradicted himself or most likely didn't read what he was posting.He was correct with his initial post.

You spot the balls after the player's turn or inning is complete or unless there are no more balls to continue,then you would spot both balls and the same player would continue the inning.BS

Chris Cass
06-12-2002, 11:08 AM
Geez Anon,

Having a bad day? I can't say I don't agree with you on the numerical spotting thing. I've never heard of it in one hole but, the way you put it is unreal. You'ld be surprized with they way some of the board plays if you met them in person.

I do have to agree with you about some people. We have this guy in my ph. He's always talking this and that about people. That guy can't play. That guy should have done this or went that way. The guy don't even pick up a cue and doesn't mention his shortcomings. He's all about pointing fingers and belittling other to make himself look better. What are we going to do with these people?

It's a free country. Not a perfect one, ask Adolf Hitler.

C.C.~~not a player hater.....

Scott Lee
06-12-2002, 12:11 PM
BS...Yep, that's correct...and if spotting more than one ball, they are spotted in numerical order! They are not MY rules...they are THE rules, as laid out by the BCA/WPA...and are called "World Standardized Rules"! Of course, smart alecks like you know better! That's why rules are printed, so that naysayers like yourself can be educated. At least Chris is open to the fact that he might just not be aware of that particular rule. Just because YOU don't play by that rule does not negate that it is indeed a published rule, accounted for by an authorized group. The fact is that MANY players do not play by THE rules...they play by "house rules", which can be anything, as long as both players agree to it.

Scott Lee

MikeM
06-12-2002, 03:30 PM
Right again Scott. And anonyjerk, Scott was correct in his first post. The stroke the rules refer to is the stroke that end's the inning.

MM...breaking my rule of never replying to anonyjerks.

06-12-2002, 08:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Scott Lee:</font><hr> BS...Yep, that's correct...and if spotting more than one ball, they are spotted in numerical order! They are not MY rules...they are THE rules, as laid out by the BCA/WPA...and are called "World Standardized Rules"! Of course, smart alecks like you know better! That's why rules are printed, so that naysayers like yourself can be educated. At least Chris is open to the fact that he might just not be aware of that particular rule. Just because YOU don't play by that rule does not negate that it is indeed a published rule, accounted for by an authorized group. The fact is that MANY players do not play by THE rules...they play by "house rules", which can be anything, as long as both players agree to it.

Scott Lee <hr></blockquote>

BCA rules pertaining specifically to one pocket...

ILLEGALLY POCKETED BALLS
All spotted. Special spotting rules: When a ball(s) is pocketed in a non-target pocket, spotting is delayed until the shooter's inning ends. Should a player legally score the last ball(s) on the table while any illegally pocketed balls are being held for delayed spotting, those balls are then spotted so the player may continue the inning.

Without the name calling,just thought this would clear the situation.BS

Chris Cass
06-12-2002, 10:51 PM
See Anon,

I told you I didn't know jack but I do play 1 hole. I feel you just baited us. Good job, 2 sets of rules meaning one thing. The BCA is the standard rules. You need to play Rodney. LOL He's his own BCA. HAHAHAHAHA I like spotting the dark balls up, if my opponents shooting them. He's as blind as me. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~part of Scotts fan club and mean right guy too Anon BS. LOL

Scott Lee
06-13-2002, 06:17 AM
BS...Boy, you just don't give up do you?

"Effective July 1, 2000"

Except when clearly contradicted by these additional rules,the General Rules of Pocket Billiards apply.

ONE POCKET
Except when clearly contradicted by these additional rules, the General Rules of Pocket Billiards apply.

ILLEGALLY POCKETED BALLS
All spotted. Special spotting rules: When a ball(s) is pocketed in a non-target pocket, spotting is delayed until the shooter's inning ends. Should a player legally score the last ball(s) on the table while any illegally pocketed balls are being held for delayed spotting, those balls are then spotted so the player may continue the inning.

Now, since there is no rule contradicting that, the general rule of spotting balls comes into play...

These general rules apply to all pocket billiard games, UNLESS specifically noted to the contrary in the individual game rules.

3.32 SPOTTING BALLS

GOT RULES?

06-13-2002, 07:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Scott Lee:</font><hr> BS...Boy, you just don't give up do you?

"Effective July 1, 2000"

Except when clearly contradicted by these additional rules,the General Rules of Pocket Billiards apply.

ONE POCKET
Except when clearly contradicted by these additional rules, the General Rules of Pocket Billiards apply.

ILLEGALLY POCKETED BALLS

Now, since there is no rule contradicting that, the general rule of spotting balls comes into play...

These general rules apply to all pocket billiard games, UNLESS specifically noted to the contrary in the individual game rules.

3.32 SPOTTING BALLS

GOT RULES?

<hr></blockquote>

Smart aleck,naysayer,and now BOY !?

It clearly says 'special spotting rules' which is the contradiction while playing one pocket.

Got Rules?

Yes I've got rules Scott <font color=red>and I've got game</font color=red>,something others say but I doubt.

Simply because if they could,they would /ccboard/images/icons/blush.gif and yes I'm referring to play.BS

Scott Lee
06-13-2002, 11:58 AM
BS...Gosh! I guess I should have said "gee whiz", instead of a generally recognized euphemism like "boy" (or as they say up here in MT...Boy Howdy! LOL). If you choose not to admit that you are incorrect about the wording of the rules, that's okay! Published rules are there for a purpose, and we can all choose to play by them, or not. It is a choice, made by the players involved in a match. The fact that we may read them differently is irrelevant. They are very clear, imo, and I can play by them, or any other "house rules"...as long as we are both playing the same way! Now we seem to be reduced to your "threat" of 'my game's BETTER than YOUR game'! LOL...Perhaps it is; and that is supposed to mean...??? What exactly does that have to do with the thread topic?

Scott Lee

NH_Steve
06-19-2002, 05:56 AM
Regular one pocket players have historically never relied on any 'official rule book' for their rules. See the very interesting article about one pocket rules &amp; origins by Mike Shamos in the current BD. Prior to something like the late 60's, the BCA book did not even contain any 1p rules, even though the game was popular among advanced players for decades before that. Last I looked, there were still inconsistencies between the rules published in the official BCA book, and the way tournament 1p is actually played, so I wouldn't get too hung up on the BCA book if you're focusing on one pocket...

06-19-2002, 11:20 AM
Very Good point, IMO. Let's not forget that the BCA is the 'self-declared' governing body of pool in the U.S.. If I were asked if I was pro or con BCA, I'd have to say pro because they do a lot of good things, HOWEVER, facts are facts. They were and still are, a trade organization and for the most part, the decisions are made almost entirely by industry people, not pool players. We do need a North American representative in the World Federation and the BCA happens to have positioned themselves to be in the right place at the right time. To the victor remains the spoils.

As you said, there have been discrepancies over the years regarding BCA rules vs. rules players have used for years. It's always been my opinion that creating rules should be the function of players associations who have their finger on the pulse of who's playing what and how they're playing it.

When I was WPBA President, I created our own set of WPBA rules for our members to follow. Some coincided with BCA rules at the time and some didn't. I wasn't overly concerned about the ones that didn't match because the objective of our own rules committee was to know what the players wanted and needed and that was good enough for me.

I think the BCA has done a reasonably good job updating their rules, more can be done, and they are at least making an attempt to get into the mainstream and find out what the players really do out there in pool rooms. I think Randy G. had a lot to do with that.

But hey, it's just the BCA and they happen to publish the only book of rules around. When they turn themselves into a players' association like the PGA or the WPBA, I'll be more prone to want to quote from them. Until then, I think I'll play by the rules of my own association and the local rules around here.

Fran

Scott Lee
06-19-2002, 11:53 AM
Steve...So that means 'historically' there have been written rules for one-pocket for at least the last 40 yrs.
I am not even talking historically...I am talking about present and future play. When and if pool ever makes it into the Olympics, one of the reasons will be because rules have been standardized for tournament play anywhere in the world. BCA, as part of the WPA, is part of the 'recognized'
authority who debate and publish these rules. Like I said earlier, you can play by any rules you like, as long as both players agree to it...but the published 'official' rules are, just that! BTW, I am not "hung up" on ANY rules...I can play any game any way anyone wants to! I just choose to play by published rules whenever possible.

Scott Lee

NH_Steve
06-19-2002, 08:12 PM
One pocket in the Olympics /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif , now there's a pleasant fantasy!