PDA

View Full Version : Hey HighSea. $75 in gas down the rod holder!

Chopstick
06-02-2005, 11:11 AM
<font color="blue">I picked this up in the Florida Sportsman Magazine fishing forum. </font color>

I just talked to a friend who took an obviously inexperienced buddy fishing this weekend. They went to the marina (via water) to fill up the tank. The boat owner gave the credit card to the dockmaster who gave the pump to the buddy who put the pump in the rod holder and pumped away. Unbelievable. Anyway, not having any friends quite that moronic I told him I would ask around what to do. He has already pumped and drained water into and out of the bilge. I also told him he should leave all access hatches open to let it air out. Any other ideas, besides not letting that guy on the boat again?

<font color="blue">Everyone thought it must be a hoax until this guy responded </font color>

Unforetunately it isn't a hoax the boat the blew up was in Pompano Beach at the 14th street ramp. A couple of inexperienced boaters in a borrowed boat filled a rod holder and gas which went into the bilge. It blew up after launch, both men burned pretty badly, boat a total loss. This happens more than you would think. I work in the Hazardous Materials Emergency Response field, at least 3 times in the last year we have be called out to remove fuel from the bilge of a boat on a trailer where fuel was either pumped into a rod holder or some other non fuel related area. This doesn't include any on the water incidents. Never underestimate man's ability to do those things we all assume everyone knows NOT to do. Last fall I responded to a 45' twin Mercruiser powered yacht on the ICW in Hollowood where the gas tank/s leaked into the bilge and the owner blew out all the windows and burned himself pretty good by using a shop vac to clean up the leaked fuel. Their are lots of people who do stupid things for no apparent reason. People need to think about what they are doing when handling gasoline it can be deadly. Gasoline is very flammable, Gasoline Vapors are very explosive.

<font color="blue">A shop vac to suck out the gas??? </font color> http://floridasportsman.com/art/eek3.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
06-02-2005, 11:45 AM
a local fellow was using gasoline to clean a shower curtain in his basement. water heater pilot light ignited gasoline and literally blew house apart and killed him

darwin award material?

highsea
06-02-2005, 05:48 PM
I have seen people pump gas into their rod holders, pour oil into their heat exchangers, etc. I carried a diaphragm pump on my little boats in case I ever had a gas spill, but I never needed it. I never let other people fuel my boats, either.

On the Mixer, I had a fuel truck come down to the dock one time to fuel me, I was taking 5,000 gallons, and the driver was scared sh*tless to pump it. I had to show him the whole fuel system on the boat, plug all the overboard vents with spill rags, and give him a walkie talkie so he could talk to me while we were fueling, then he finally gave me my fuel. Lol, he wanted to short me 500 gallons, because he was afraid to let me top it off, and I wouldn't let him.

We had a guy at my marina who spilled some gas in his bilge. He decided that instead of pumping the bilge in the marina, he would drive out into the middle of the river. (like that makes a difference, the river is only about 200 feet across)

Of course, as soon as he hit the key, it blew sky high. Fortunately for him it was an express, so it didn't kill him. The fire took out the windows on a 50' Shane parked across from him and cooked all the paint off. The guys at the marina cut it loose and shoved it out into the middle of the river to save the rest of the boats. His burnt to the waterline.

We had another guy a few years back that had a 30' Chris. He had a propane leak, and was down in the galley making dinner when it went off. It lifted the cabin and deck off of the hull. Amazingly, he had a head full of singed hair, and some burnt clothes, but he wasn't hurt.

Just dumb luck.