PDA

View Full Version : Wrapping an Irish Linen wrap

sneakypapi
06-02-2005, 05:03 PM
I wondering what some expert cuemakers ( or great cue repair folks =) think of wrapping a cue with Irish Linen by hand? (no lathe) I wanted to know how difficult it would be for someone that has never done it before? Also, how much time do you think it would take to do a standard wrap. Another question is where do you tuck the ends in, when you start and end. I assume there is a little hole that you will tuck the ends in? Also, when you buy the Linen is it already pressed or double pressed? or is there a procedure to press it before it is installed or when it wrapped?

pooltchr
06-02-2005, 06:46 PM
Wrapping a linen wrap by hand without a lathe would require incredibly steady hands, more time than I would want to spend at one time, and the patience of Job!

Pressing is done after the wrap is on using a linen press. This is another job that would be very difficult without a lathe.

The ends of the linen can be secured by tucking them under several turns of the linen. Some repair guys drill a very small hole and tuck the ends into the hole, but I have personally never tried it that way.

Bottom line is the time and effort required after you buy the linen is probably far greater than the $30-40 bucks you would pay a repair guy to do the job for you, and the end result is probably going to be a tighter, better quality job than you could hope to get doing it yourself.

JMHO
Steve

Troy
06-02-2005, 07:46 PM
It's one thing to ask about re-wrapping. But if there's never been a wrap it's a totally different situation -- there would NOT be a "channel" to put the wrap into.

I would not try it without a lathe or another way to slowly and steadily turn the cue.

I was taught to fix the ends with a tiny hole. The wrap is pressed aa part of finishing the job.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sneakypapi:</font><hr> I wondering what some expert cuemakers ( or great cue repair folks =) think of wrapping a cue with Irish Linen by hand? (no lathe) I wanted to know how difficult it would be for someone that has never done it before? Also, how much time do you think it would take to do a standard wrap. Another question is where do you tuck the ends in, when you start and end. I assume there is a little hole that you will tuck the ends in? Also, when you buy the Linen is it already pressed or double pressed? or is there a procedure to press it before it is installed or when it wrapped? <hr /></blockquote>