PDA

View Full Version : looking for cue in South Carolina

rickf28
06-02-2005, 06:55 PM
I live in Sumter South Carolina. I have decided it is time to buy a pool cue. Ive been reading the forums on how to buy a cue and they all say you have to try them to figure out what you like. I was going to buy one on line but i cant try them.Heres my prob..I cant find a Pool Cue dealer near me if anyone knows of good dealer In this area Sumter,Columbia,Florence ect please let me know. I have owned a Mcdermott in the past and loved it so i would love to find a dealer who has them.. but if not i will try others who knows i may like another brand better..Thanks for replies

1pRoscoe
06-03-2005, 05:59 AM
Click here (http://stores.ebay.com/Nielsens-Billiards_W0QQsspagenameZMEQ3aFQ3aSTQQtZkm) to get any McDermott (and other) cues at the cheapest price.

If you send him an email outside of ebay to joerackem@ebay.com and let him know that Roscoe sent you, you'll get 5% off

pooltchr
06-03-2005, 07:56 AM
Nick,
If you get a chance to come to Charlotte, I can give you several places where you put your hands on some cues before you decide which one to buy.
Steve

Natalie
06-03-2005, 12:21 PM
Hi, I'm brand new to this board but I live in Columbia, SC and we have a dealer that is a really great guy who can offer pretty good discounts in our area. He runs Padgett's Pool Hall in Blythewood and shoots in the APA league in NE Columbia.

You can go by Padgett's and see a sampling of the merchandise he can order for you and he has a complete catalogue for viewing. He's always done well by me and if you get the stick and hate it, he'll return it for you and help you find what you want.

You can reach Padgett's by calling 803/754-8739. They open about 4pm. Jimmy Bernotas is the dealer's name. Tell him Natalie referred you.

Scott Lee
06-03-2005, 12:34 PM
Hi Natalie! Welcome to the CCB! I hope to see you at my next exhibition in the Union at USC! I was there the first week of school last year, but it will probably be later in the semester this year! Isn't Padgett's a 'private club'? The only "poolhall" I know of, is a popular bar down the hill from the university, with about a dozen barboxes. Jeanette Lee did an exhibition there last summer.

Scott Lee

Natalie
06-03-2005, 12:42 PM
No, Padgett's isn't private at all. It's located on Hwy 321 toward Winnsboro. You can access it from I-20 in Columbia.

There used to be more places that were "open" for play years ago, but now, you're right, many are private clubs with a few tables.

Karl's Korner, TK's and Chevy's are all open but all near the airport. Platt Springs Rd area. You must be referring the the Varsity on Devine St near the Coliseum.

We're going to be playing a place in W. Columbia tomorrow for 8-ball APA regionals called Triple Crown. I hear it's a nice place with several tables.

There used to be a fantastic place in Cayce called WECO that we went to when I was in school. $2/hr on pristine regulation tables.

pooltchr
06-03-2005, 12:55 PM
Natalie,
Welcome to the board!
Do you think any rooms in that area would be interested in hosting the Fury tour? I am always looking for new rooms for the tour, and right now the only room in SC is in Greenville. Would love to get a couple of stops in the Columbia area if I could find a room with around 10 or 12 nine foot tables. Anything like that you are aware of?
Steve

Natalie
06-03-2005, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome...hmm...I don't know of any place around town besides Jillian's that might have that many tables. You said Greenville is the only place? You must be talking about Game Time/Rip Tide...that place is awfully cool. I spent a whole day in Feb shooting pool with friends and watching the Daytona 500 there.

I'll think about it and let you know.

Voodoo Daddy
06-03-2005, 01:07 PM
I'll just wave hi...welcome to CCB. Lotsa good folks, plenty of opinions and all around fun. Hope ya stick around a while.

rickf28
06-03-2005, 03:05 PM
Thanx for the help all. Natalie you should start a forum you seem pretty popular already...lol...ill check into info and who knows maybe ill bump in to you out there..Again thanx for your help

SPetty
06-03-2005, 03:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rickf28:</font><hr> Natalie you should start a forum you seem pretty popular already...<hr /></blockquote>You could be pretty popular too - just post a picture of a pretty woman under your name! The boys seem to respond to that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

rickf28
06-03-2005, 03:14 PM
lol..ill see if i can find one

Brian in VA
06-03-2005, 05:22 PM
Aw come on SPetty, we were just trying to be nice!

Welcome Natalie. My parents live in Irmo, just outside Columbia. You'll find the CCB a warm place for everyone. Those that have seen my picture, still talk to me....

Brian in VA

SPetty
06-03-2005, 07:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Brian in VA:</font><hr> Those that have seen my picture, still talk to me....<hr /></blockquote> /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
http://www.pettypoint.com/USOpenPics/Brian.jpg
/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Vagabond
06-04-2005, 05:50 AM
Howdy,
Greenville is not far from you.Give a call to loree`s husband sammy Jones.Toll free with in SC: 877 735 7665.
General number(u pay toll for this):864 286 3366
Address: Loree Jon`s Pool Tables plus
187 Halton road
Greenville, SC 29607
Sammy is a good man and will help u and also will appreciate your buisiness.
Cheers
Vagabond

Scott Lee
06-04-2005, 10:37 AM
Brian...When I come to give you your "free" lesson, I'm gonna bring a bunch of my pool ties, for you to choose from!
I'd give them to SPetty, but she's already GOT all of them 'hanging around' PettyPoint...except my Snoopy ties, and NOBODY gets those, 'cause they're the only ones I wear! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif LOL

Scott

Scott Lee
06-04-2005, 10:38 AM
Natalie...Thanks for the update about Columbia! I'll have to check those places out next time I'm there!

Scott Lee

rickf28
06-04-2005, 01:32 PM
thanx for the site iproscoe, he has good prices and great revues. i may purchase from him

Brian in VA
06-04-2005, 06:30 PM
I knew you were going to post that one again. You'd grin like that too if you had on a tie like that! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

At least you can tell the CCB tournament is all about fun!

Brian in VA

pooltchr
06-05-2005, 03:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote rickf28:</font><hr> Natalie you should start a forum you seem pretty popular already...<hr /></blockquote>You could be pretty popular too - just post a picture of a pretty woman under your name! The boys seem to respond to that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>

How about letting me borrow one of yours??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Steve

Gayle in MD
06-05-2005, 05:36 PM
Welcome Natalie,
You may be too far away to help me, but I will be spending several weeks over the summer in Long Beach, North Carolina, which is on the coast, (Oak Island) between Wilmington N.C., and Myrtle Beach, S.C. Do you know of anyplace for pool in that area?

Thanking you in advance, /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Gayle in Md.

pooltchr
06-06-2005, 04:20 AM
Gayle,
BreakTime Billiards in Wilmington (I believe it's on South College Road) is one of the nicest rooms in that area. They have 8 Diamonds on the tournament side and about 20 Brunswicks on the other side. It does get busy on the weekends, but a very nice room. Call them for directions as it is a little hard to see from the street. It sits back behind a "gentleman's" club and next to a bowling alley.
Steve

Gayle in MD
06-06-2005, 05:26 AM
Thank you!
I 'm wondering, also, what is the reason for so many private club billiard facilities in the Carolinas, as mentioned in this thread?

Also, do you know of any in the Myrtle Beach Area?

Thanks again for your help. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gayle in Md.

Natalie
06-06-2005, 06:09 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome, folks. I appreciate it. As far as places in Myrtle Beach, there are really several places on Hwy 17, one in particular is in Surfside Beach on 17 near the big Sun Bi-Lo. I wish I could remember the name of it but it has a bowling alley on one side and about 10-12 9ft tables on the other.

There seem to be a lot more private clubs around Columbia, I don't know about anywhere else. I think a lot of that has to do with trying to keep the bad element out. Most places would prefer to have more control over their table to prevent out of control gambling.

Just to update, my APA 8-ball team failed MISERABLY Saturday at regionals. We just never got into a groove and it was too late. So, we're gearing up for 9-Ball regionals in two weeks hoping for another shot at Vegas. I think some of us are going to shoot in a Jack and Jill tourney this weekend if it's still on. Now those are really fun.

PQQLK9
06-06-2005, 06:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Thank you!
I 'm wondering, also, what is the reason for so many private club billiard facilities in the Carolinas, as mentioned in this thread?

Also, do you know of any in the Myrtle Beach Area?

Thanks again for your help. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gayle in Md.

<hr /></blockquote>

They are not private (as in Private). Everyone is an instant "Member" by signing up at your first visit. (may be a fee of a couple of bucks or so).

I think this is because if they sell a certain percentage of alcohol as opposed to food they have to be called Private clubs or such. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I'm sure someone will have a better answer than me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pooltchr
06-06-2005, 08:41 AM
You got it right, Nick. In order to serve liquor, a business needs to sell between 35 and 40% in food. There is no restriction for a private club. I think I pay a dollar a year to belong to most of the "private" clubs around here.
Steve

Gayle,
There is a place I believe called the Smokehouse on the road going into Myrtle Beach from Conway that has several 9 footers and a bunch of bar boxes.
Steve

rickf28
06-06-2005, 02:44 PM
another reason they do that in south carolina is so they can stay open after midnite..and it allows them to serve on sunday.(no alcahol on sunday here).and as they sayed most places give free memberships and if they do charge they are cheap..Most of the time they just have you sign is as a guest..so dont sweat the membership thing..there are enough places to go down here that if one wont let ya in screw em and move..enjoy your stay

Fasteddy7
06-06-2005, 04:35 PM
My dad retired from shaw afb and still lives in sumpter. I will have to look some of your guys up when I come down in december. Last time I hooked up with Grady Matthews. Later.......Fast

rickf28
06-06-2005, 04:39 PM
fastfreddy. look me up when you come to sumter we will go shoot a few games.

luv2shoot
06-06-2005, 06:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1pRoscoe:</font><hr> Click here (http://stores.ebay.com/Nielsens-Billiards_W0QQsspagenameZMEQ3aFQ3aSTQQtZkm) to get any McDermott (and other) cues at the cheapest price.

If you send him an email outside of ebay to joerackem@ebay.com and let him know that Roscoe sent you, you'll get 5% off <hr /></blockquote>

Joe has asked me to pass this information on to you. For those who want the 5% discount, please call Joe direct and DO NOT order through the EBAY site.

His prices for Cues are some of the best I've seen. I just ordered a McDermott from him, and learned the hard way. Just wanted you to know so that you didn't make the same mistake as me.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You can reach Joe at Phone 217-585-1660 or by Fax 217-585-8077

Gayle in MD
06-08-2005, 04:44 AM
Thank you for the info, sounds logical, I think we have a few such establishments in Md.

Gayle in Md. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JimS
06-08-2005, 05:24 AM
Or try Tom Peck at. www.gobilliards.com (http://www.gobilliards.com) 309-342-6226.

He's a close friend, lives just a few blocks from me, known him for 25+ years. Trustable. Goes out of his way to get it done right for you and he always is ready to deal. Tell him Jim sent you.

DickLeonard
06-08-2005, 06:32 AM
Gayle I know that Bill "Weenie Beanie" Staton lives in the Myrtle Beach area, There must be a room near there. He got his nickname from owning a string of Hot Dog stands in the Washington DC,Alexandria Virginia area. He had the good fortune to have bought the land that they stood on and made millions selling the property.####

DickLeonard
06-08-2005, 06:42 AM
Pooltchr If my memory serves me I think Luther Lassiter lived in Wilmington, so there must be plenty of his memerobilia in the area.

When Luther was dominating the straight pool tourneys in the mid 60s. I thought if my life depended on someone making that tough shot I would want Luther to shoot the shot. ####

pooltchr
06-08-2005, 07:14 AM
####
I believe you are correct. Also heard Wade Crane was down that way. Of course, Ewa lives in the Myrtle Beach area. Must be something to attract all that pool talent to the area!
Steve

ted harris
06-09-2005, 07:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rickf28:</font><hr> I live in Sumter South Carolina.I cant find a Pool Cue dealer near me if anyone knows of good dealer In this area Sumter,Columbia,Florence ect please let me know. <hr /></blockquote>
Jimmy Reeves is a good cuemaker and he has a table in his shop to try cues out on and is in Easley near Greenville. His cues are pretty sweet and his prices are right. Give him a call at 864.442.9911.

Also, my shop is in Alto, GA...which is about 3 hours 23 minutes according to mapquest.com from Columbia. I have a table here as well for trying out cues. I do have one cue available...here is a link to a picture of it;
Ted Harris Custom Cue (http://www.tedharris.com/cues_available_66.htm)
or you can give me a call @ 706.778.9611

MosconiJr
06-09-2005, 01:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Natalie:</font><hr>
There used to be a fantastic place in Cayce called WECO that we went to when I was in school. $2/hr on pristine regulation tables.
<hr /></blockquote>
Natalie,

I thought it waws called WACO Billiards. It had an old time atmosphere with a grill up front and the pool tables toward the back. I used to go there years ago when I was in Columbia.

I moved to Chattanooga recently, but not too long ago we played a weekly tournament at Opening Break near the University. I heard it burned down or something.

The last time I was in Columbia, I gambled a guy named John Sanders (I believe) at a private club where Buddy Dennis runs a tournament. I don't remember the name of the club, but it was near the Sheraton off Hwy 20 on Bush River Road. We also gambled at a guy's house where he had a couple of big tables and a bar table in a big garage at his house.

I've always enjoyed playing in Columbia.

MosconiJr

MosconiJr
06-09-2005, 01:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Natalie:</font><hr> Thanks for the warm welcome, folks. I appreciate it. As far as places in Myrtle Beach, there are really several places on Hwy 17, one in particular is in Surfside Beach on 17 near the big Sun Bi-Lo. I wish I could remember the name of it but it has a bowling alley on one side and about 10-12 9ft tables on the other.
<hr /></blockquote>

It's called Surfside Bowling and Billiards. In the early to mid 90's they used to have a big tournament every year that Mountain Man (from West Virginia) ran. They always filled up with 128 players and it was a great crowd that attended. It was a nice room back then. I haven't been by in several years, though.

MosconiJr

MosconiJr
06-09-2005, 01:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ted harris:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote rickf28:</font><hr> I live in Sumter South Carolina.I cant find a Pool Cue dealer near me if anyone knows of good dealer In this area Sumter,Columbia,Florence ect please let me know. <hr /></blockquote>
Jimmy Reeves is a good cuemaker and he has a table in his shop to try cues out on and is in Easley near Greenville. His cues are pretty sweet and his prices are right. Give him a call at 864.442.9911.

Also, my shop is in Alto, GA...which is about 3 hours 23 minutes according to mapquest.com from Columbia. I have a table here as well for trying out cues. I do have one cue available...here is a link to a picture of it;
Ted Harris Custom Cue (http://www.tedharris.com/cues_available_66.htm)
or you can give me a call @ 706.778.9611 <hr /></blockquote>

Ted,

You are right about Jimmy's cues. I have used one for a while and they hit sweet (but with a stiff hit). In fact, I showed you the one I was playing with at the time when I saw you last year in Mobile at the big tournament at Breakers in July or August. I was ragging Jim Jenings and Steve Lomax around your lathe there. I did also hear that your cues played really sweet. Maybe I can hit a ball with one next time we see each other.

Are you headed back down to Breakers to set up again this year? I heard they are having another big tournament in a few months.

Talk to you later.

MosconiJr

Natalie
06-10-2005, 05:36 AM
Hi, mosconijr....
There is a private club on Bush River near the old Sheraton called Dugan's I'm a member of. It's a late night place but they have pretty nice tables.

I am happy, I won last night. I was one of only two people who won their games at 9-ball last night. I don't think our team is as good as it used to be, but we have a damn good time.

MosconiJr
06-10-2005, 07:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Natalie:</font><hr> Hi, mosconijr....
There is a private club on Bush River near the old Sheraton called Dugan's I'm a member of. It's a late night place but they have pretty nice tables.
<hr /></blockquote>
That's the place. It didn't start to fill up till the wee hours. It seemed like there were some strippers and other bar and hospitality people that came in really late.

MosconiJr

Natalie
06-13-2005, 08:31 AM
Yep, that's the place. Many strippers after hours hang out.