PDA

View Full Version : shaft of cue

Drop1
06-02-2005, 08:08 PM
When playing I use the 3m green plastic scouring pad on my cue,instead of chalk. Any pros,or cons?

Cueless Joey
06-02-2005, 08:34 PM
Chalk or powder?

highsea
06-02-2005, 09:05 PM
Con. Too abrasive. Don't use powder either. Clean the shaft, burnish it smooth, and keep your hands clean and dry.

Troy
06-03-2005, 07:52 AM
Highsea has it right -- those scouring pads are highly abrasive, just like using sandpaper on your shaft.
Wipe down your shaft with a clean damp cloth and keep your hands clean and dry.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> When playing I use the 3m green plastic scouring pad on my cue,instead of chalk. Any pros,or cons? <hr /></blockquote>

ceebee
06-03-2005, 08:58 AM
I have used a Q-Wiz for about 4 years now. I have never thrown one away, they always get borrowed &amp; never returned. One side is for picking up the oils on your shaft, the other side burnishes the shaft &amp; makes it SUPER SLICK.

I leave them in my jeans or overalls &amp; they get washed in the laundry.

Deeman2
06-03-2005, 09:03 AM
Drop1,

PM me your snale mail address and I'll send you a free "Deeman" Burnishing pad.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid171/pe8030d4da66bb3c973b5a6f5d9fb967d/f3dbb50b.jpg

Deeman

cheese_ball
06-03-2005, 10:06 AM
Dee,

Where do I get my OFFICIAL Deeman burnisher? LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cueless Joey
06-03-2005, 10:07 AM
http://www.fivestarbilliards.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&amp;Product_Code=DrZ&amp;Category _Code=
This one is just about the best out there.

Deeman2
06-03-2005, 10:36 AM
Cheese,

Just P.M. that Chi-Town address. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Deeman

Cane
06-03-2005, 10:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> When playing I use the 3m green plastic scouring pad on my cue,instead of chalk. Any pros,or cons? <hr /></blockquote>

A definite con. A couple of years back I bought a Richard Black cue. Both shafts measured 12.75mm at the ferrule and both were UNDER 12.50 in my bridge area (about 8" from the tip). I asked the guy if he had been sanding the shafts, he said "Oh, no, I'd never touch my shafts with sandpaper. I use "horsehair" on them to clean them up". Horsehair is what many call the green 3M scouring pads. I ended up getting Dick to make two new shafts for the cue. Wish I'd had the foresight to mic the shafts before I bought, but didn't... now I check the shafts very closely before I punch out a lot of money for a cue.

JMO, green pads should be outlawed around cues. They do much more damage than they can do good. Just keep your shafts clean and well burnished and they should be fine... unless your using a fiberglas clad shaft, like a Cue-Tec, in which case I'll leave it to the cue experts. I have absolutely no experience with fiberglas clad shafts.

Later,
Bob

Rod
06-03-2005, 10:14 PM
I suppose you have your answer. However if its your intention to make the shaft smaller, why fool around? Just go out and by some 60 grit. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod

Tom_In_Cincy
06-03-2005, 10:18 PM
Why would you use the 3M pad instead of chalk?
Or, are you using the 3M pad on the shaft? and still use chalk on the tip?

If you need to clean the surface of the cue shaft and continue to use the 3M pad, you will be opening the pores of the wood on the shaft and letting more dirt, grime and hand oils into the shaft.