PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a Moori Layerd tip?

disturbed_won
06-03-2005, 01:34 PM
And if to does it play like a Tiger Everest or Sniper?

Troy
06-03-2005, 01:51 PM
Many people use Moori tips. Many people use a wide variety of tips for a wide variety of reasons.
Many people experiment with tips, then choose what THEY like rather than a tip someone else likes.
Aside from hardness and personal choice, there's not a severe difference between brands. Some mushroom more than others, some are layered, or not, some are pig skin, etc., etc., etc...

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote disturbed_won:</font><hr> And if to does it play like a Tiger Everest or Sniper? <hr /></blockquote>

disturbed_won
06-03-2005, 01:52 PM
Have you used either tip? I just got my Tiger Everest in the mail today and plays VERY GOOD!

Cueless Joey
06-03-2005, 04:38 PM
Its not the CUE or the TIPS fault its the PLAYER
You better change your signature then.
Tip plays very good? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
I like Everest and Kamui.

Cane
06-03-2005, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its not the CUE or the TIPS fault its the PLAYER
<hr /></blockquote>

Your signature note is as true as they come. If you can draw a ball with a Moori, you can draw a ball with a Triangle or LePro, or any decent leather tip that will hold chalk well. I have a $4000 cue with Moori tips on it that I play with. Sometimes I practice with it, sometimes I just grab an old cheap Lucasi House cue off the wall in my game room that has a LePro tip on it. I can make both cues do what I need to do on a pool table. Tip doesn't matter, cue doesn't matter... stroke does. I use and like Moori, mostly because of their durability, but then again, I don't even carry a scuffer or shaper in my pool case. I don't shape my tips. I cut them to a general shape I want (quarter radius) on the lathe when installing them, and after that, I let them "shape" themselves to the way I play. From then on, I don't do anything to them, except chalk them religiously. I haven't used a shaper or sandpaper of any kind on the tips on my good cue since I put them on (about a year or so ago, I think). They still hold chalk great and they've taken on that "quarter radius" that my style of shooting dictates that I use. The ONLY reason I prefer those tips over Triangle or Lepro is that I've never had any mushrooming with the Mooris and have with Triangles... LePro? Well, they are just a little "iffy" for me. When I buy a box of 50, I'll find about half of them that I like and throw the other half in a box of mixed tips to put on house cues for local bars where the players are just thankful the cues are in one piece and have leather on the end of them.

Later,
Bob

Billy_Bob
06-04-2005, 07:56 AM
Something else interesting about tips and say getting a box of 50 (less expensive tips), is that the tips will be a different hardness from the *same* box. Or what one manufacturer calls a "medium" will be the same as a "soft" from another manufacturer! The hardness of a tip can be measured with an instrument called a "Type D Durometer" (link below with picture).

Also I have heard of people tapping new tips (from the same box) on something and listening for the sound it makes. I forget, but I think a "ting" is better than a dull thud. And I think this test indicates if the tip has air pockets inside or not?

But I don't think these tests are necessary for the new high quality tips. In any case, I certainly can't afford to be buying a box of 50 Moori tips and testing them! (Nor can I afford to pay $475 for a durometer.)

Durometer...
http://flexbar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&amp;Product_Code=20706

sneakypapi
06-04-2005, 11:29 AM
Quote:
__________________________________________________ _________
But I don't think these tests are necessary for the new high quality tips. In any case, I certainly can't afford to be buying a box of 50 Moori tips and testing them! (Nor can I afford to pay $475 for a durometer.)_______________________________________ ____________________

Actually, he was referring to LePro's and Triangle tips they are somewhat cheap and the quality is widely varied in every box. Moori on the other hand other high quality layered tips are much better and you will not have to buy a box of 50 and throw away half.