PDA

View Full Version : Best "wording" of shot fundamentals I've ever read

Billy_Bob
06-05-2005, 09:23 AM
I have come across a book (1897 Hoyle's by Foster) which has the best "wording" of shot fundamentals I have read anywhere. He explains complex things very clearly and with very few words. Things like follow, draw, masse', english, etc.

Example: "The Draw Shot. This is exactly the reverse of the follow shot, the ball being struck below centre, and the cue passing at least three inches beyond where the ball stood, as shown in the diagram. This gives the cue ball a retrograde motion, similar to that imparted to a child's hoop by spinning it backward while throwing it forward, so as to make it return. If the object ball is reached before this retrograde motion is exhausted, the effect will be to stop the forward motion of the cue ball, and to give what is left of the retrograde motion full play, making the cue ball return.

The two great mistakes made by beginners in playing draw shots are that they pull the cue back, instead of driving it clear through the ball aimed at, and they strike it so hard that the forward motion of the cue ball is too strong for the retrograde motion to overcome it, or the object ball to stop it. It is never necessary to strike harder than sufficient to reach the object ball and get back to the carom ball unless one is playing for position."

Info on the book...
Title on binding: "Complete Hoyle" - Foster
Title on cover: "Hoyle an Encyclopedia of Indoor Games"
Inside title: "Foster's Encyclopedia of Games" - Foster, 1897, 8th edition

Gayle in MD
06-05-2005, 05:16 PM
Nice post, thanks.
Gayle in Md.

Stretch
06-05-2005, 07:22 PM
Enjoyed the post! especialy concerning the analogy between the draw action of the cue ball to a childs hoop. Hoola Hoops eh? Cool, very good tool for teaching beginners. It's amazing how your can get so bogged down with terminology when trying to describe a concept or action or understand same lol. Most liturature on these subjects tend to overplay everything in an attempt to impress us as to thier authers vast knowledge, and expertise.

That's why most of "the old wizdom" on technique and stratagize are the best. These weren't generaly Book smart highly edgicated people, so they just tell it like it is. Refreshing. St.

SpiderMan
06-06-2005, 07:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> I have come across a book (1897 Hoyle's by Foster) which has the best "wording" of shot fundamentals I have read anywhere. He explains complex things very clearly and with very few words. Things like follow, draw, masse', english, etc.

Example: "The Draw Shot. This is exactly the reverse of the follow shot, the ball being struck below centre, and the cue passing at least three inches beyond where the ball stood, as shown in the diagram. This gives the cue ball a retrograde motion, similar to that imparted to a child's hoop by spinning it backward while throwing it forward, so as to make it return. If the object ball is reached before this retrograde motion is exhausted, the effect will be to stop the forward motion of the cue ball, and to give what is left of the retrograde motion full play, making the cue ball return.

The two great mistakes made by beginners in playing draw shots are that they pull the cue back, instead of driving it clear through the ball aimed at,

and they strike it so hard that the forward motion of the cue ball is too strong for the retrograde motion to overcome it, or the object ball to stop it.

<font color="blue">I believe the last statement above is incorrect. For the same tip placement on the cueball, striking harder will result in more draw, not less. Nor will the cueball penetrate beyond the common tangent line at impact, unless it is heavier than the object ball.

The "real" additional mistake made by beginners is that they do not strike the cueball low enough, even though they believe they do. Their accuracy in cue-tip contact is lessened further when hitting hard, possibly leading to Foster's erroneous observation.
</font color>

Info on the book...
Title on binding: "Complete Hoyle" - Foster
Title on cover: "Hoyle an Encyclopedia of Indoor Games"
Inside title: "Foster's Encyclopedia of Games" - Foster, 1897, 8th edition
<hr /></blockquote>

SpiderMan