PDA

View Full Version : The passing of a Great Generation

Singlemalt
06-07-2005, 10:32 AM
This is written by a doctor of the only two Level One-Trauma Centers in San Antonio, TX and I found it to be a really great read....

http://www.wtv-zone.com/Mary/PASSINGOFGENERATION.HTML

JPB
06-08-2005, 08:31 AM
Of course there are great individuals in that generation. Of course what some did should be respected. But to keep calling it the "Greatest Generation" etc... is an error in logic. People now rise to challenges just like they did then. Back then there were draft dodgers, cowards, ingrates, war criminals, savage perverts, etc.... Tom Brokaw doesn't write about them. And neither did they write about them then. Things were different and the negative wasn't reported as much. Sometimes you see hints about what went on. I think Michener once mentioned that some unspeakable stuff went on in one unit, but of course it was unspeakable so it wasn't mentioned. I also remember a veteran of the Battle of the Bulge finally wrote about a couple things that happened back then (he was a columnist) and it wasn't all flattering. So respect the individuals, but don't think that as a group they were any greater than people living now. They weren't. I will just repeat that I do not mean to diminish the accomplishments of great individuals from that generation.

catscradle
06-08-2005, 12:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JPB:</font><hr> Of course there are great individuals in that generation. Of course what some did should be respected. But to keep calling it the "Greatest Generation" etc... is an error in logic. People now rise to challenges just like they did then. Back then there were draft dodgers, cowards, ingrates, war criminals, savage perverts, etc.... Tom Brokaw doesn't write about them. And neither did they write about them then. Things were different and the negative wasn't reported as much. Sometimes you see hints about what went on. I think Michener once mentioned that some unspeakable stuff went on in one unit, but of course it was unspeakable so it wasn't mentioned. I also remember a veteran of the Battle of the Bulge finally wrote about a couple things that happened back then (he was a columnist) and it wasn't all flattering. So respect the individuals, but don't think that as a group they were any greater than people living now. They weren't. I will just repeat that I do not mean to diminish the accomplishments of great individuals from that generation. <hr /></blockquote>

I've always felt that times make the people great, and if our generations (mine, yours, or anyone else's) were exposed to the same conditions we would have risen to greatness. Without WWII Ike, Patton, Bradley, and McArther would just me more names on a list of West Point graduates, they did great things, but other people would have had WWII occured 20 years later.