PDA

View Full Version : Hedge wood

Drop1
06-07-2005, 11:47 AM
You people in Akansas ever work hedge wood? I was told it is harder than iron wood out of Mexico.

Cueless Joey
06-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Hardest wood I know is Lignum Vitae.
Desert Iron Wood is pretty hard.
But, really hard woods make for crappy cues imo.

ras314
06-07-2005, 04:29 PM
Osage Orange? Sometimes called mock orange.

Plummerbutt
06-07-2005, 07:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> Osage Orange? Sometimes called mock orange. <hr /></blockquote>

Is there any where on the net where I could see this "mock orange: Osage orange"?
Or maybe you could post a pic yourself. Is it really orange when finished? Sounds like something I'd like on a cue.

ras314
06-07-2005, 08:24 PM
http://www.exoticwoodgroup.com/order_Argentine_osage_orange.htm

The Argentine version is supposed to be more "orange" I think. I've heard Indians used it for bows in the small area where the US version grew. Since been spread all over the place for hedge rows.

I wonder if it might be suitable for shafts? Somewhere I've heard of it used for ferruels.

Nostalgia
06-08-2005, 04:47 AM
I don't know about shafts or ferrules, but it's an excellent wood for making traditional bows. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif I wish I had a reasonably priced source for it /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

And yes, Lignum Vitae is very hard, along with IPE (pronounced ee-pee), commonly known as Ironwood.

-Joe

Bob C
06-08-2005, 12:05 PM
To see something with a finish on it made from hedge, (also known as Bois d'Arc, Hedge Apple, Bodock) you can check out this duck call on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;category=36253&amp;item=7161844 697&amp;rd=1

Bob C

Plummerbutt
06-09-2005, 04:50 AM
Thats a pretty nice duck call. Well, it better be for that price!
The wood is very sharp looking but not quit the color I had envisioned.

Bob C
06-09-2005, 01:25 PM
Among hedge's good qualities: It is a very stable wood and it is relatively unaffected by moisture and changes in humidity. These qualities make hedge one of the woods of choice in call making.

Bob C

lukeISinVA
06-09-2005, 09:28 PM
osage orange is NOT a good wood to use in cue's for any structual part of the cue. It is great for inlays and rings but do not use in the forarm. I saw a Dominak cue that was ebony and osage orange man it was beautiful!! he said that he had to core out the handle section in order to make it strong enough to use as a handle. It was a wrapless cue, he also said that is the only place he would use it. He said that he has tons of trees on his property in NY where that tree grows so he can get a lot of it and he has never seen a piece longer than 18 inches that was actually straight. You may check him out if you need a supply for osage orange!