PDA

View Full Version : One winner,Man or Woman

Drop1
06-07-2005, 07:40 PM
I hear from men,that the women would never have the strenth to compete with men at the Pro level. Well I think that should be tested on the tables. I know it would be a hell of a draw. Lets have some input,and get a challenge going between the male and female highest ranked players.May the best player win. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sneakypapi
06-07-2005, 09:17 PM
This topic has come up many times before. Actually, I believe last year Billiards Digest ran an article with Archer and Fisher on the cover discussing this topic. You will hear both sides argue this till they are blue in the face.

Regulator
06-07-2005, 09:54 PM
I don't understand the argument. In many sports (shooting) and competitions (poker), if sheer strength or physical size aren't required, why have separate the sexes ??

What's really weird to me is that some shooting competitions are going from unified to separate, even the Olympics.

Cueless Joey
06-07-2005, 11:39 PM
If Allison Fisher wants to play John Schmidt for a ton of cash, she will be more than welcomed.
John Schmidt is not even in the top 30 I think among men in the world but I GUARANTEE you, he will rob Allison if she got the 7-ball and the breaks. Choo Choo Coltrain robbed her.
Pool might not involve strength ( arguable b/c of the breaks ) but the best male players just have better nerves, killer instinct and concentration. Not to mention, somehow the male pros play better safes and kick better.

MacGyver
06-08-2005, 05:51 AM
Cueless Joey:

So you are saying that you have some sort of evidence to back up the claim that men have better concentration than women?

I'd really like to see that study or hear your reasoning...

I don't see how you can claim that men have better concentration than woman....

Natalie
06-08-2005, 06:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> If Allison Fisher wants to play John Schmidt for a ton of cash, she will be more than welcomed.
John Schmidt is not even in the top 30 I think among men in the world but I GUARANTEE you, he will rob Allison if she got the 7-ball and the breaks. Choo Choo Coltrain robbed her.
Pool might not involve strength ( arguable b/c of the breaks ) but the best male players just have better nerves, killer instinct and concentration. Not to mention, somehow the male pros play better safes and kick better.
<hr /></blockquote>

That is extremely sexist. I'm disappointed that attitude continues to exist with people at this point in time.

9 Ball Girl
06-08-2005, 06:40 AM
Here's my take on the subject and I've said it before:

IMO, the men are better than the women. There are women who are better than men, but when you look at it as a whole, the men come out on top.

Deeman2
06-08-2005, 07:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Here's my take on the subject and I've said it before:

IMO, the men are better than the women. There are women who are better than men, but when you look at it as a whole, the men come out on top. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> True, but there absolutely no reason for anyone to "rub it in" over this subject. Most who yell about this wouldn't pick a cue up against the better women players anyway. I don't hear any of the top ladies claiming to be better than the best men. Besides, the women have proven they are the only ones with enough business acumen to run a long term successful tour anyway.

I think it is enough to say the women have made great strides lately and are fast approaching the level of the men's game. What more could you ask from a group who was not even playing seriouly just 20 years ago (with a few exceptions). I think, in time, there will be so little difference, you would not want to bet on it.

I, for one, am continually amazed at the higher and higher level of the women's game. </font color>

Deeman
How many posters here really want to match up against Allison? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

PQQLK9
06-08-2005, 07:17 AM
IIRC Allison and Grady did a series of exibitions a few years ago and I think Grady edged her out.
I'm sure the results are somewhere on the web.

catscradle
06-08-2005, 07:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Natalie:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> If Allison Fisher wants to play John Schmidt for a ton of cash, she will be more than welcomed.
<hr /></blockquote>

That is extremely sexist. I'm disappointed that attitude continues to exist with people at this point in time. <hr /></blockquote>

I don't really think this is sexist. At this point in time the best men are better than the best women and the average man is better than the average woman. Why this is so is another question, and many of the answers to the why question are sexists, but to state the facts is not sexist.

Boy, how many times has this topic been beaten to death on this and other forums?

wolfdancer
06-08-2005, 07:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
but when you look at it as a whole, the men come out on top. <hr /></blockquote>

I never thought of looking at it in that way....and the man on top....sounds de rigueur

Steve Lipsky
06-08-2005, 07:52 AM
Hey Cueless. I am one of John's biggest fans. A truly unbelievable player, and I would argue almost certainly in the top 30. Plays all games, and is about as smooth as anyone out there.

But the 7 and the breaks to Allison... he ain't even coming close to winning that game, as long as there's a neutral racker and they're playing on a "normal" table (i.e., where balls usually fall on the break). She makes far fewer mistakes than you think.

She definitely needs weight, to be sure. But anything including the breaks is probably too much.

Just my opinion, sir. And just to reiterate, I think John is one of the best players out there.

- Steve

sneakypapi
06-08-2005, 05:34 PM
Im backing 9 Ball Girl to beat all the men on this board =)