PDA

View Full Version : Laid Off

Wally_in_Cincy
06-08-2005, 06:04 AM
I might not be online for a while. I've been laid off from my job. They are shutting down our office. All the work will be done at the home office in Dallas now.

Ironically the problem is this. The plant is backed up with 6 months of work so they can't take on any new jobs. So there is no need for any engineering now.

The boss is going to recommend me to a couple of places. I should be able to make at least close to what I am making now.

talk to y'all soon.

Spetty has my phone # and email if anybody needs it.

Deeman2
06-08-2005, 06:23 AM
Wally,

Good luck friend. I was out of work for over a year. Just hang in there.

Deeman

Rich R.
06-08-2005, 06:50 AM
Good luck Wally. I wish you the best.

DickLeonard
06-08-2005, 06:59 AM
Wally good luck, hope you can land another job, in the mean time maybe you can strength your pool game. SPetty seems to be the Ambassodor of Good Will in the Pool World.####

ras314
06-08-2005, 07:15 AM
Plant is too busy so they start laying off engineers? Man that sucks, sounds like a short sighted policy.

Hopefully you'll wind up with a better employer.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-08-2005, 07:25 AM
Thanks guys. I'll be in touch.

TTFN

catscradle
06-08-2005, 07:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> I might not be online for a while. I've been laid off from my job. They are shutting down our office. All the work will be done at the home office in Dallas now.

Ironically the problem is this. The plant is backed up with 6 months of work so they can't take on any new jobs. So there is no need for any engineering now.

The boss is going to recommend me to a couple of places. I should be able to make at least close to what I am making now.

talk to y'all soon.

Spetty has my phone # and email if anybody needs it. <hr /></blockquote>

I feel your pain, I was out for 4 months 3 years ago. Seemed like it was 10 years not 4 months, but it does end. Work your network of friends that's where your best opportunities will come from.
Good luck, keep us posted.

PQQLK9
06-08-2005, 07:31 AM
Thats a bummer, but I know you will make lemonade out of those lemons.
Good luck Wally.

landshark77
06-08-2005, 07:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> I might not be online for a while. I've been laid off from my job. They are shutting down our office. All the work will be done at the home office in Dallas now.

talk to y'all soon.

Spetty has my phone # and email if anybody needs it. <hr /></blockquote>

Sorry to hear about that Wally. I am kinda in a simialr situation....we are just at the point where no one knows if the company will go under or not. We'll know on Tuesday. I wish you luck and I hope you come back soon.

wolfdancer
06-08-2005, 08:02 AM
Wally, sorry to hear about your employment status....getting laid off can be very traumatic for some people...don't let it get you down, or depressed.....good luck finding another suitable job!!!!
There's always the greeters job at WalMart...just practice this line before the interview "How may I help you?"...and add some sincerity, like you really give a s**t....lol
Really though, hope you will be getting something good,in your field...and in the meantime...it's summer, and a good time to work on your
Golf Game!!!!

SPetty
06-08-2005, 08:18 AM
Sorry to hear that, Wally. How long will you be working before they close the facility? Are you getting a pretty good severance package? If they're paying you to hang around until the end, having been through that, I'd recommend just going out and getting a new job and not staying 'til the end.

Or, maybe you can take a transfer down to the Dallas office? I know a place you can stay until you find a house... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good luck!

Barbara
06-08-2005, 08:23 AM
Hang in there, Wally. This sure hasn't been a great year for you but I'm fairly certain it can't get any worse.

Barbara

SPetty
06-08-2005, 08:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> ... but I'm fairly certain it can't get any worse. <hr /></blockquote>Now you've gone and done it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Sorry, Wally, I would have stopped her if I'd known she was going to do that! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Barbara
06-08-2005, 08:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> ... but I'm fairly certain it can't get any worse. <hr /></blockquote>Now you've gone and done it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Sorry, Wally, I would have stopped her if I'd known she was going to do that! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I know it can't because I'm going to send him some nuts. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Barbara

eg8r
06-08-2005, 09:04 AM
That sucks. I hope you are able to find something soon.

eg8r

Tom_In_Cincy
06-08-2005, 09:09 AM
Wally,
I've been laid off FOUR times in my working career. But, I was fortunate to find better work each time.

Good Luck in your search for new adventures.

Scott Lee
06-08-2005, 10:13 AM
Wally...That is really a drag! No doubt you will weather this, and be "back in the saddle" before too long! Best of luck! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Scott

9 Ball Girl
06-08-2005, 10:32 AM
Hey Wally, ever thought about working for the government (http://www.usajobs.gov/)?

Stretch
06-08-2005, 10:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> Thats a bummer, but I know you will make lemonade out of those lemons.
Good luck Wally. <hr /></blockquote>

That's right Wally, when the world hands you lemons....mix with tequilla.

Serious bro. Sorry to here the bad news. I was screwed over at a Branch Plant for like 12 years when they pulled the plug on me. Saddly that was only the half of it LOL. It took a few years but I'm back twice as big and 3 times as ugly. Life couldn't be better! And you know, if it wasn't for that sudden detour, i'd have never enjoyed what i'm haveing now. And so will you!

Stay in touch K? Like Dick told me. You can always go on line at the Library. St. ~~seen lots of Library"s lol~~

cheesemouse
06-08-2005, 11:27 AM
Wally,

Sorry about your layoff. I know your belief in self-reliance will now be tested and you will come out on top of the game...good luck

HOWARD
06-08-2005, 01:38 PM
Wally,

All the best, have one of your extra special martini or
two. Keep on pluggin.

Regards,

Howard

pooltchr
06-08-2005, 02:02 PM
Wally,
Sorry to hear the news. I can relate. Last summer, I got downsized (laid off). I managed to get the job as STerling/Fury, and although it's less than I was making before, the stress is much lower, and I am working in an industry I really love. Things do have a way of working out. Hang in there, buddy.
(And keep the "babe pics" coming!!)
Steve

dg-in-centralpa
06-08-2005, 05:06 PM
Wally,
Sorry to hear the news. Things happen for a reason. This can only mean something bigger and better will come. Have you thought about moving east? There are plenty of opportunities here.

DG - now you can catch up on soap operas LOL

Barbara
06-08-2005, 06:00 PM
Hey Duane!

Yeah, maybe he could move East. It would cost less for me to ship him nuts. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Barbara

CarolNYC
06-09-2005, 02:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The boss is going to recommend me to a couple of places. I should be able to make at least close to what I am making now. <hr /></blockquote>
Hang in there Wally!
Carol~keeping her fingers crossed! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

hondo
06-09-2005, 06:19 AM
I'm very sorry to hear this, Wally. You're in
my prayers.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-09-2005, 08:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote landshark77:</font><hr> ... I am kinda in a simialr situation....we are just at the point where no one knows if the company will go under or not. We'll know on Tuesday. <hr /></blockquote>

landshark I hope things work out for you. I read on one of these threads that you are going to have another mouth to feed soon. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Congratulations. I am very happy for you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
06-09-2005, 09:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Sorry to hear that, Wally. How long will you be working before they close the facility? <hr /></blockquote>

They laid off 7 guys (out of 11) yesterday. They say they're going to try to straighten things out and hire us back some time but I don't believe that.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> ...Are you getting a pretty good severance package? <hr /></blockquote>

Is 2 weeks good? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Or, maybe you can take a transfer down to the Dallas office? I know a place you can stay until you find a house... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

Thanks. They don't need any people in Dallas either. Dallas has been farming out a lot of work to another company that hires immigrant Filipino drafters who work cheap.

There's plenty of work around here. I just have to get connected to the right places. Companies are always looking for good draftsmen.
And I'm good /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I visited 2 companies yesterday and an engineering temp agency that I used to work for. They are supposed to get me at least 2 interviews this week.

I already had an offer to go back to a place called Hendon-Lurie, who I worked for before I came here. That would be OK but it's not what I would prefer.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-09-2005, 09:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr> Wally,

Sorry about your layoff. I know your belief in self-reliance will now be tested and you will come out on top of the game...good luck <hr /></blockquote>

LOL

cheese, if I'm out of work for more than a couple of weeks I may become a Democrat /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
06-09-2005, 09:08 AM
Thank you all. The boss let me come in today to tweak my resume. But after today you really, really, seriously may not hear from me for a while.

My puter and connection at home is a total dinosaur, suitable for not much more than email.

The tech guy already came by and told me to leave this thing on when I leave so they are going to change the user and password and stuff just in case /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So I say, until I log on again, God bless us all, everyone of us /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cheesemouse
06-09-2005, 09:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr> Wally,

Sorry about your layoff. I know your belief in self-reliance will now be tested and you will come out on top of the game...good luck <hr /></blockquote>

LOL

cheese, if I'm out of work for more than a couple of weeks I may become a Democrat /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Wally,

Now how did I know you'd read between the lines on that one? Hey, you maybe one all ready....Hehehehe....Seriously...GOOD LUCK....

Wally_in_Cincy
06-09-2005, 09:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr> ..Hehehehe....Seriously...GOOD LUCK.... <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Thanks dude. I'll find something, it will just take a few days.

I mouthed off here once that if I got laid off I could find another job within 3 days so I have to save face now /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

1 down, 2 to go /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Deeman2
06-09-2005, 09:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> LOL

cheese, if I'm out of work for more than a couple of weeks I may become a Democrat /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Yikes, heaven help us if that happens. You know, you could come here in about 16 days. The break would do you good.

Deeman </font color> http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid172/pc1f9dfac28721dd6443ca1da3ab639c1/f3c589f3.jpg

SPetty
06-09-2005, 09:32 AM
What a cute pic! But you need to add Chopstick to it!

9 Ball Girl
06-09-2005, 09:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr>http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid172/pc1f9dfac28721dd6443ca1da3ab639c1/f3c589f3.jpg <hr /></blockquote>I love it!

Barbara
06-09-2005, 09:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>
Thanks. They don't need any people in Dallas either. Dallas has been farming out a lot of work to another company that hires immigrant Filipino drafters who work cheap.

There's plenty of work around here. I just have to get connected to the right places. Companies are always looking for good draftsmen.

I visited 2 companies yesterday and an engineering temp agency that I used to work for. They are supposed to get me at least 2 interviews this week.

I already had an offer to go back to a place called Hendon-Lurie, who I worked for before I came here. That would be OK but it's not what I would prefer.

<hr /></blockquote>

There ya go Wally! Things are looking up already!

Barbara

catscradle
06-09-2005, 10:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Sorry to hear that, Wally. How long will you be working before they close the facility? <hr /></blockquote>

They laid off 7 guys (out of 11) yesterday. They say they're going to try to straighten things out and hire us back some time but I don't believe that.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> ...Are you getting a pretty good severance package? <hr /></blockquote>

Is 2 weeks good? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<font color="red"> Well you probably won't see this because you'll not have access to your computer, but...
2 weeks egad, in Massachusetts 7 out 11 would qualify as a plant closing and you'd have 3 months by law. When I was laid off 3 years ago I got 3 months lump sum severance and I could immediately collect unemployment. MA has pretty good unemployment too so I actually came out a little ahead after 4 months believe it or not. </font color>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Or, maybe you can take a transfer down to the Dallas office? I know a place you can stay until you find a house... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

<hr /></blockquote>

Good people always find another job and I believe you when you say you're good. Hope to see a post from you soon. And for God sakes, get a decent computer for home when you're working again.

BTW, I was a draftsman many years ago, I worked for a marine architect and did piping systems on ships. Of course, that was in the ice age when we used things like pencils, pens, rulers, straight edges, and believe it or not sliderules. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deeman2
06-09-2005, 11:10 AM
Done! http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid172/p28ae3a3c3d85fff3eb09bdd80c7d399b/f3c54418.jpg

Eric.
06-09-2005, 06:05 PM
Wow, that sucks, Wal.(Of course, I'm late on this, as usual)

Hope to here from ya. Maybe you'll be spending time on the local Library's computer?

Eric

Wally_in_Cincy
06-17-2005, 06:48 AM
Things are looking up.

A temp agency wants to pitch me to a manufacturer of trade show exhibits. I would be desingning custom booths and cabinetry and what-not. They said I was a perfect fit.

got another interview at 1:30 today with a curtain-wall maker (same thing I'm doing now). I got a real good shot at that job too.

depends on the money and bennies each is offering

stay tuned.....

Chopstick
06-17-2005, 06:49 AM
Go get 'em Wally.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-30-2005, 06:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> got another interview at 1:30 today with a curtain-wall maker (same thing I'm doing now). I got a real good shot at that job too.

<hr /></blockquote>

I got that job. I start on July 11.

Been working my ass off around the house in 90 degree heat. Getting used to it.

Wally &lt;~ online at the library.

Rich R.
06-30-2005, 06:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> I got that job. I start on July 11.
<hr /></blockquote>
Congrats on the new job Wally. I hope it works out well.

Now to important stuff.
Will you be able to take some time off for the Open? /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Qtec
06-30-2005, 07:05 AM
Nice one wally. Hopefully you will be back on line soon. We all miss your razor sharp wit. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q

Chopstick
06-30-2005, 07:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Nice one wally. Hopefully you will be back on line soon. We all miss your razor sharp wit. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q <hr /></blockquote>

Great news Wally. We need all the help we can get keeping Q in line. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

pooltchr
06-30-2005, 07:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> We all miss your razor sharp wit. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q <hr /></blockquote>

Well, some of just miss the BABE PICS!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Congrats, Wally...hope the new job works out well for you!
Steve

eg8r
06-30-2005, 07:51 AM
Congratulations. I am happy you were not down too long. Hopefully you will enjoy your new job.

eg8r &lt;~~~spent a few times accessing this site from a library /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

wolfdancer
06-30-2005, 10:59 AM
Wally, great news!!!!

Eric.
06-30-2005, 11:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> got another interview at 1:30 today with a curtain-wall maker (same thing I'm doing now). I got a real good shot at that job too.

<hr /></blockquote>

I got that job. I start on July 11.

Been working my ass off around the house in 90 degree heat. Getting used to it.

Wally &lt;~ online at the library. <hr /></blockquote>

What happenned to "getting a job in three days"?! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Eric &gt;welcome back

wolfdancer
06-30-2005, 11:30 AM
Babes? no problemo.....but politically correct babes....
here's a link to the GOP Babe of the week
GOP BABES (http://www.jerseygop.com/RepublicanBabes3.html)

pooltchr
06-30-2005, 12:44 PM
Not bad...but not even in the same league as Wally's collection of feminine photography!

Stretch
06-30-2005, 05:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> Not bad...but not even in the same league as Wally's collection of feminine photography! <hr /></blockquote>

Ya Wally's quite the Talent scout. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And two thumbs up for the new job!! Hey, when you got the skills..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif St.

Barbara
06-30-2005, 07:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr> Ya Wally's quite the Talent scout. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And two thumbs up for the new job!! Hey, when you got the skills..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif St. <hr /></blockquote>

And the nuts! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif!

Barbara

Wally_in_Cincy
07-01-2005, 05:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr>

What happenned to "getting a job in three days"?! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Eric <hr /></blockquote>

I misunderestimated my market potential. So it took 7 days. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
07-01-2005, 05:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr>

Will you be able to take some time off for the Open? /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>

The time I could swing, but this little hiatus has put a pinch on my budget so I will probly sit this one out and shoot for next year.

The good news is I get 3 weeks vacation after my first 6 months, if I make it that long /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

eg8r
07-01-2005, 06:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The good news is I get 3 weeks vacation after my first 6 months, if I make it that long . <hr /></blockquote> Not too shabby, it took 5 years here to get 3 weeks. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif The sad part is that I have already worked about 2.5 weeks worth in unpaid overtime (less than last year at this time). /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Rich R.
07-01-2005, 06:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> The time I could swing, but this little hiatus has put a pinch on my budget so I will probly sit this one out and shoot for next year.<hr /></blockquote>
We will miss you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif