PDA

View Full Version : Glove..Powder.. damn this hot weather

dvsmnstr
06-08-2005, 11:53 AM
hey guys, we have our first APA match tonight and it's 95 degrees.. the bar will be pretty humid and sticky.. I hate the feeling when my stick does not glide/slide threw my hands and feels like it gets stuck on my skin.. I cannot shoot liek this. What do most of you do..? I want to wear a glove but I feel wierd because it looks kinda lame, and I feel like everyone will think i'm trying to be this super pool player and if I lose they will think see he is using a glove and still lost.. dunno thats my opionio I know it sounds dumb. so flame away..

tjlmbklr
06-08-2005, 04:06 PM
I am in the same situation. I have to have the shaft of my cue in pristine condition to shoot, which really screws up my game when I play at a bar without my own cue, and have to use a crappy house cue. I do not want to wear the glove( I do own one though ). I some times use a product called Pro Glide endorsed by Steve Mizerak it is a liquid that you smooth over the inside of your bridge fingers. it takes about 30 seconds to a minute to dry. It will appear to be powder when dry, but with out the residue. It also helps to keep a towel handy to buff the cue shaft and keep hands dry..!

AmazingBrewdini
06-08-2005, 06:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dvsmnstr:</font><hr> hey guys, we have our first APA match tonight and it's 95 degrees.. the bar will be pretty humid and sticky.. I hate the feeling when my stick does not glide/slide threw my hands and feels like it gets stuck on my skin.. I cannot shoot liek this. What do most of you do..? I want to wear a glove but I feel wierd because it looks kinda lame, and I feel like everyone will think i'm trying to be this super pool player and if I lose they will think see he is using a glove and still lost.. dunno thats my opionio I know it sounds dumb. so flame away.. <hr /></blockquote>

Why do you care what others think about something so trite?
If you feel like wearing a glove..then wear it. Are some people going to try to break your stones? Quite likely. So what?

OTOH--if the thought of the glove is just too overwhelming for you.. get a little Frizz Ease or similar product, wash your hands, place a drop in the crook of your middle and index fingers on your bridge hand. Work the stuff into the bridging area of both fingers and then wipe you hands off with a towel or paper napkin.

Better yet, get some Slip Stick and treat the shaft of your cue.

rukiddingme
06-08-2005, 07:14 PM
I don't like powder so I wear a glove in this type of weather.
ruk

tjlmbklr
06-08-2005, 07:20 PM
Frizz Ease......?

PastPrime
06-08-2005, 07:22 PM
I always wear the glove, hot or cold, because your shaft will always be smooth and slick and it will not discolor! I personally don't like the shaft to look like someone has washed it with a pair of Levi's and I don't care how you clean it it will slowly wear away and not be the same size shaft you started with. Try it for awhile and you won't go back.

Floyd
06-09-2005, 12:53 AM
I use powder. But, if your using it take a towel, or a cut t-shirt rag (what I use so that it will fit in my case). The powder will build up on the shaft in humid conditions, and it is not fun when that happens.

loyter
06-10-2005, 08:08 AM
Fortunately, I am blessed (or is that cursed) with the world's dryest hands. I don't worry about this problem...ever.

I am going to have to agree with the assertion that the glove looks pretty lame. People have been playing this game for hundreds of years without gloves. Guys who show up wearing gloves better be darn good.

It reminds me of the guy who shows up at the golf course with the new Ping irons, the brand new sleeves of balls, the beret, the knickers, and the freshly-shined wing tip golf shoes, and then he shoots 105 for the round.

Equipment, in my opinion, is way overblown in its importance to an individual's game.

On the other hand, if your cue is sticking to your hands, you have got to do something. I prefer the powder blocks. They work very well, and they can be fairly clean. I do laugh, however at the guys who use so much powder that the table looks like someone slayed the pilsbury doughboy on it.

cheese_ball
06-10-2005, 08:37 AM
Gloves are for weenies! You don't need a glove to play pool! Try a small towel or rag to keep your equipment and hands dry.
There are two types of players... feel players, and thinking players. The "thinkers" are always worried about their equipment, how hot it is, compensation for humidity... etc. The "feelers" are the ones to watch out for. They'll destroy you with a broomstick! They simply play, take mental note of the reaction of the rock, and proceed to pick apart the table effortlessly (or so it may seem).

Leviathan
06-10-2005, 09:43 AM
Go ahead and wear a glove if you want to. Gloves do the job, and they're more convenient and less messy than powder. A lot of good players use them. Also, try not to be self-conscious about your appearance or performance at the table. That kind of self-consciousness is a weakness. Play the game and enjoy it; let people think whatever they're dumb enough to think.

AS