PDA

View Full Version : Another Ted Harris Custom Cue...

ted harris
06-09-2005, 07:45 AM
Hello,
Here is a link to a new cue that was recently completed for an order;
Ted Harris Custom Cue (http://www.tedharris.com/cues_6_pointDM_veneers_64.htm)
This is the fanciest cue so far out of my shop as well as the most expensive cue I have sold. I sure would appreciate any input...

catscradle
06-09-2005, 08:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ted harris:</font><hr> Hello,
This is the fanciest cue so far out of my shop as well as the most expensive cue I have sold. I sure would appreciate any input...
<hr /></blockquote>

Very nice Ted, the south must agree with you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LARRY_BOY
06-09-2005, 08:25 AM
Coooool cue....if I hit the power ball Sat. night expect a call. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Deeman2
06-09-2005, 08:39 AM
Very Nice, Ted. What is the wrap? Is this a real skin or a textured leather?

Deeman

ted harris
06-09-2005, 10:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> Very Nice, Ted. What is the wrap? Is this a real skin or a textured leather?

Deeman <hr /></blockquote>
There is a full description of the cue on the page that I linked to, including the wrap.
To answer your question, it is authentic ring lizard...

Deeman2
06-09-2005, 10:53 AM
Duh! I guess I missed it on the first review. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif Ted, you do nice work.

Deeman

Drop1
06-09-2005, 11:43 AM
Ted,what I see is just another brick in the wall. All those years working with beautiful cues,and its not coming through now. Two things move markets "Style,and Inovation". Thats why everytime a new chip comes out people have to have it. Style,is when you don't have to sign your work people know it fifty feet away. You have all the ability to create understated elegance,that plays well. No you don't have to agree with me,but design is what I have done for thirty five years,for companies around the world. I always knew when people told me something was nice, they were hoping for something more. You were a mechanic,and now you have to be a designer as well.

ted harris
06-09-2005, 12:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> Ted,what I see is just another brick in the wall. All those years working with beautiful cues,and its not coming through now. Two things move markets "Style,and Inovation". Thats why everytime a new chip comes out people have to have it. Style,is when you don't have to sign your work people know it fifty feet away. You have all the ability to create understated elegance,that plays well. No you don't have to agree with me,but design is what I have done for thirty five years,for companies around the world. I always knew when people told me something was nice, they were hoping for something more. You were a mechanic,and now you have to be a designer as well. <hr /></blockquote>
Whew! Well, it is hard to make a statement such as yours without being able to examine the cue in person. My cues are innovative and cutting edge internally, with elegant, distinctive styling on the outside, IMHO. Sure, I could be more creative, but who couldn't? When it comes to artistic additions to the cue, I move at a snails pace, as my concern is more about the construction and playablility of the cue. I had stated in another thread that I have had a pantograph for 10 years, and just in the last year or so turned it on to see if it even worked...and since then have only inlayed seven or eight cues! I want to perfect the cue itself, and push the limits of the existing art before I move on to the unknown. As far as I know, that is the natural order of evolution. I have many ideas for cuemaking, but am limited by time and money...eventually I will get there. I have not signed my cues for the last 5 years...and most that are familiar with my cues can tell from a distance that they are my creations. Only for special people are my signatures included. I do believe, however, that I am going to continue signing them as most would like it that way. Imagine if Rembrandt or Salvadore Dali, etc had not signed their work...not trying to compare myself to them...just making a comparison regarding the signature.
You may or may not notice, but the artistic design of my cue pushes the limits of the standard...ie very long points, very deep points. There are many other subtleties that you may or may not notice. I can tell you this, however, if you were to see my cues in the flesh, I believe your opinion may change. Even if it didn't, I would still be one of only approximately 275-300 cuemaker/artists in the US. That is 34 times less the existing Colonel's and about the same as number of Major Generals as in the military. If my work were to be examined and compared to my peers, it may rank in there with the number of full Generals of which there are only 35 or 40. I think I can live with that...However, I do strive to be an individual at all times.
Thanks for the input. Your voice has been heard and noted. Please let me know if you have any more input...

Drop1
06-09-2005, 01:14 PM
Ted,
You are right. It is a hell of a thing to say without the cue in my hand,but it was posted,and opinions asked for. I tried to give my honest opinion,and not dust it off,as just another cue,or not pay my respect to you as a craftsman. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

ted harris
06-09-2005, 01:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> Ted,
You are right. It is a hell of a thing to say without the cue in my hand,but it was posted,and opinions asked for. I tried to give my honest opinion,and not dust it off,as just another cue,or not pay my respect to you as a craftsman. I look forward to seeing more of your work. <hr /></blockquote>
...and I certainly appreciate your input! So keep it coming.

Leviathan
06-09-2005, 01:22 PM
Pretty cue! I like the dark, rectangular windows against the light background and the effect you create by arranging multiple small diamonds in lines along the length of the cue.

AS

cueball1950
06-09-2005, 02:07 PM
Gee Ted. Is that the one you are going to GIVE me....it really is a beautiful cue. are you and the wife coming up to the Open this year. won't be the same for me if you don't come. tell the wife i said hi..........mike

ted harris
06-09-2005, 02:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> Gee Ted. Is that the one you are going to GIVE me....it really is a beautiful cue. are you and the wife coming up to the Open this year. won't be the same for me if you don't come. tell the wife i said hi..........mike
<hr /></blockquote>
LOLOLOL...yes we will be there!

PQQLK9
06-09-2005, 05:30 PM
Simply beautiful Ted. You did a fine job.

Barbara
06-09-2005, 07:17 PM
Ted,

I still love playing with your cocobolo S/P that Santa got me a few years ago. There's another player in the APA league I joined that has another one of your cues and his wife has a S/P cocobolo just like mine.

But it's really not. Hehehe...

Love ya,

Barbara

Plummerbutt
06-09-2005, 08:37 PM
Ted, that is a beautiful cue! The colors are soft yet very elequent. Looks like a stick anyone would be proud to own. Very well done!

MosconiJr
06-10-2005, 05:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ted harris:</font><hr> Hello,
<hr /></blockquote>

Nice cue, Ted. What type pin does it have? Also, what type pin do you prefer for "hit" on a cue. I know it is a sujective topic. Just curious of your opinion.

MosconiJr

ted harris
06-10-2005, 06:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MosconiJr:</font><hr>Nice cue, Ted. What type pin does it have? Also, what type pin do you prefer for "hit" on a cue. I know it is a sujective topic. Just curious of your opinion.

MosconiJr <hr /></blockquote>
I use the radial pin in all my cues as I like the way it is installed, looks, and plays.

cheese_ball
06-10-2005, 07:42 AM
Hey Ted!

Your cue looks great! I assume that the craftsmanship is up to par with the rest of your work. In a minor way, I agree with drop1... While your workmanship is outstanding; there are two types of cuemakers... There are machinists and artists. I'd like to see more artistic work! I like to see innovative designs that have not been made before. Keep up the good work, and let me know when you want to get "experimental."