PDA

View Full Version : Question about my new tip

loyter
06-09-2005, 02:35 PM
I recently had a new tip put on my trusty Viking cue. The local shop that did the work recommended a medium-hard tip which includes a thin layer of "felt". This felt layer apparently acts as something of a shock absorber.

The question is, what is the prevailing opinion of this tip? (or something like it)

My opinion is generally that if your stroke and form are good, you can shoot with pretty much any old cue and do well. I also figured that I could always change back if I don't like the new tip.

Anyway, I'll be interested to hear your thoughts.
loyter

ras314
06-09-2005, 06:08 PM
Sounds like you have the French Triumph tip. It is a red fiber-backed tip, rated medium hard, or 76.9 according to the Mueller catalog.

I doubt the fiber disc has much shock absorbing effect, but I have not used the tip.

Troy
06-09-2005, 06:13 PM
Tips are like many things; personal choice. If YOU like it, that's all that counts.
The same is true of having a pad; some like a pad, some don't care.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote loyter:</font><hr> I recently had a new tip put on my trusty Viking cue. The local shop that did the work recommended a medium-hard tip which includes a thin layer of "felt". This felt layer apparently acts as something of a shock absorber.

The question is, what is the prevailing opinion of this tip? (or something like it)

My opinion is generally that if your stroke and form are good, you can shoot with pretty much any old cue and do well. I also figured that I could always change back if I don't like the new tip.

Anyway, I'll be interested to hear your thoughts.
loyter <hr /></blockquote>

SpiderMan
06-10-2005, 09:53 AM
Ras,

I haven't used many Triumph tips, but the ones I tried didn't seem medium-hard. I realize this is subjective, but Triumph feels softer than LePro on my cue.

Also, I didn't see anything in the original post that said the tip was a Triumph.

SpiderMan

loyter
06-10-2005, 12:18 PM
I would say it's softer than medium hard too. The guy at the shop told me it is a medium-hard, but it acts medium to medium-soft.

ras314
06-10-2005, 09:09 PM
SpiderMan,

Didn't sound like the original post knew what kind of tip it was and was interested if anybody had experience with anything like it. The Triumph is the only one I know of that comes with a pad. Could be whatever the pad is actually does have a cushion effect if it feels soft.

The pads from Atlas seem quite hard and don't have any cushioning effect that I can tell. But I suspect I can't feel much difference in tip hardness, tip thickness seems to make more difference in feel to me. Maybe a different sound.