PDA

View Full Version : Cue Ball

Megalodon
06-09-2005, 03:12 PM
I got myself a practice cue ball with red dots on it the other day.
I realized how easy it was to acheive the desired effects with it. This ball is like the ones they use in tournaments on television. I get the point of having dots on it for veiwers.
I also realized that the cue ball I had before was enormous(compared to the rest of them). I have a retreive system table.

So, my question is, how many of you play with equale size balls?
Do you find the best way to play is to have a bigger cue ball?

Cueless Joey
06-09-2005, 03:52 PM
My local hall just started using that Measles ball.
It is so heavy compared to the older and worn one Premier balls. It's also about 2 grams heavier than the red circle cueball. That's one ball that's hard to to draw.
Unfortunately, we must adapt to it.
I have three cb's. Centennial cb, red circle and the Pro Cup measles ball. Measles and Centennial are the same cueball really except for the polka.
The red circle cueball is the easiest one to play with for me. Easy to draw and move around.

Troy
06-09-2005, 04:53 PM
I found that the "Measles" cue ball is a bit larger compared to the Red circle CB used with Centennial balls, and heavier.
Yes, it's harder to get draw.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> My local hall just started using that Measles ball.
It is so heavy compared to the older and worn one Premier balls. It's also about 2 grams heavier than the red circle cueball. That's one ball that's hard to to draw.
Unfortunately, we must adapt to it.
I have three cb's. Centennial cb, red circle and the Pro Cup measles ball. Measles and Centennial are the same cueball really except for the polka.
The red circle cueball is the easiest one to play with for me. Easy to draw and move around. <hr /></blockquote>

Stretch
06-09-2005, 05:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Megalodon:</font><hr> I got myself a practice cue ball with red dots on it the other day.
I realized how easy it was to acheive the desired effects with it. This ball is like the ones they use in tournaments on television. I get the point of having dots on it for veiwers.
I also realized that the cue ball I had before was enormous(compared to the rest of them). I have a retreive system table.

So, my question is, how many of you play with equale size balls?

<hr /></blockquote>

To answer your question. "To me" the best way to play is with perfectly matching balls. Cueball same as the rest. St.

SpiderMan
06-10-2005, 10:01 AM
I like the measle ball. I'm not bothered by any difficulty of draw compared to the red circle, as the nine-foot tables where I play have blue circles (or is it dots?) in their sets currently. Anyway, the measle ball emulates what I'm used to fairly well.

SpiderMan

ceebee
06-11-2005, 08:58 AM
I like playing with the measle Cue Ball too. It seems to be just like my Blue Circle Centennial Cue Ball. I have 3 Red Circle Cue Balls, they are all just a bit smaller (a few thousands of an inch) &amp; lighter than my Blue Circle Cue Ball, which makes it easier to draw the Red Circle Cue Ball.

I think the Cue Ball should match the weight &amp; size of the Object Ball. JMHO

I can play well with any of them.

sneakypapi
06-11-2005, 11:05 AM
I have noticed esp. on Bar tables that with paying type tables that the cue ball is quite a bit heavier and larger than the rest (obviously for the ball return to go to a different spot than the rest of the balls). The heavier cue makes it much harder to play. I like all the balls to be matched up as close as possible.

With the TV ball (measles ball) I was wondering if it was difficult to use because of all the red dots? For me I would think it would bother me shooting seeing the red dots on the cueball. When I concentrate I like the cueball to blend in and concentrate on the my aim and the spot where I am going to hit the cueball

ceebee
06-11-2005, 11:10 AM
I can see the dots, but I don't see them in my stroke. I think the cue ball has some merits for play. You can see some interesting things in the game by watching the visible rotation. The ball does have some merit for the novice to be entertained.

Megalodon
06-11-2005, 02:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr> I think the cue ball has some merits for play. You can see some interesting things in the game by watching the visible rotation. The ball does have some merit for the novice to be entertained. <hr /></blockquote>

The red circle ball seems to be the ball of choice. Unfortunatly, my opponants have been degrated to old fashion family members who think ANY dots on a ball is rediculous! They think the ball has to be enourmously bigger and heavier 'caus that's how it's played.

Myself, I like to see the measles on my practice runs. It allows me to perform my routine and realy notice the effect before and after contact on the Ob ball; Especialy on a massť shot,or soft English. The amount of speed/force to be applied greatly encreases in control as well.

SPetty
06-12-2005, 11:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> I found that the "Measles" cue ball is a bit larger compared to the Red circle CB used with Centennial balls, and heavier.<hr /></blockquote>We didn't weigh it, but yesterday, we compared the size of the measles ball that came with the TV set with the other balls, and surprise, it was larger!

ras314
06-12-2005, 01:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Megalodon:</font><hr>So, my question is, how many of you play with equale size balls?
<hr /></blockquote>
I just about refuse to play with a bigger cue ball and don't like a heavier cb. Some coin tables use a magnetic system for separating the cb and allow a correct size and weight cb. And there are some newer coin tables that can use normal cue balls.

I measured all the cbs I have with the following results:

Super Aramith Pro Cup (poka dot) .........2.249
Red Logo from Super Aramith Pro set.......2.249
Aramith Red Circle #1.....................2.247
Aramith Red Circle #2.....................2.240
Aramith Valley Red Dot (not the dynamo)...2.243
Aramith Magnetic.........................2.222-2.228

Most varied around .oo1" or so from round, with the exception of the magnetic. It has also been played the most, I have no idea if that makes any difference. I must admit being suprised at the difference in the two red circles, neither has been played a long time.

I checked the 1 and 15 ball from the Super Pro set, both measured 2.250.

Wish I had good enough scales to weigh balls.

BoroNut
06-12-2005, 04:39 PM
Any game that does not use balls of matched size and weight on standard equipment is meaningless to me, which pretty much includes any variety of coin operated tables. They are just for a daft laugh, not a proper sport. I put money in the jukebox sometimes too. I don't delude myself that I've been to a rock concert though.

Boro Nut

Megalodon
06-13-2005, 01:59 PM
I'm glad to see some of the experienced players sharing my opinion. Here I go getting me one of these...

Super Aramith Pro Cup (poka dot)
Red Logo from Super Aramith Pro set
Aramith Red Circle #1
Aramith Red Circle #2
Aramith Valley Red Dot (not the dynamo)
Aramith Magnetic