PDA

View Full Version : Another Republican Engineer Bites the Dust!

Deeman2
06-10-2005, 05:59 AM
Well, so soon after Wally got he axe, so did I. I had not expected this job to last more than a year or so but the 25K that GM will cut has effected me as well. Today is my last day at work.

If anyone knows of a job opening for a Mechanical Engineer in the South, let me know.

I'll let everyone know where and if I land.

My other e-mail, in case someone needs to contact me is

deeman666@sbcglobal.net

Wally and I will be fishing and playing pool together if we don't find work. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deeman

Qtec
06-10-2005, 06:10 AM
Wow! Thats a bit sudden! Dont you get a months notice or something? Can they just fire you from one day to the next?

Q

Deeman2
06-10-2005, 06:27 AM
Q,

I get about what Wally did. Little notice and not a lot of severance pay....

Deeman

Qtec
06-10-2005, 06:38 AM
Geez. So what happens now?
Over here, if you are made unemployed and its not your own fault, you are entitiled to 70% of what you last earned, for a minimum of 6 months.

Q

Rich R.
06-10-2005, 06:38 AM
Happy hunting. I hope both you and Wally find something soon.

BTW, it is all GWB's fault. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gayle in MD
06-10-2005, 08:47 AM
Ditto,

It's rough losing your job, but someitmes leads to all things being improved in the long run. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gayle in Md.

Deeman2
06-10-2005, 09:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Ditto,

It's rough losing your job, but someitmes leads to all things being improved in the long run. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<font color="blue"> Gayle,

You're right. Look how much time I'll have to play pool!

At least that's my attitude for now..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Deeman </font color>

Gayle in Md. <hr /></blockquote>

Chopstick
06-10-2005, 09:48 AM
Wow, you and Wally. Bummer. Don't sweat it man. You too good of a guy to be down for long.

eg8r
06-10-2005, 09:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Geez. So what happens now?
Over here, if you are made unemployed and its not your own fault, you are entitiled to 70% of what you last earned, for a minimum of 6 months. <hr /></blockquote> We have unemployment here also. 70% is better than nothing, but it sucks to go stand in line and give your spiel to the woman who has heard every excuse in the book. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
06-10-2005, 09:58 AM
Man that sucks. The two of you in the same week. I hope you are able to bounce back quickly. Check this link (https://www.lmpeople.com/careers/search/search.asp) . I did a search in Texas for Mechanical Engineer and about 20 or so pop up. Most are in Fort Worth but a few are in Grand Prairie. Not sure where you are at, but maybe one of those might work out. You might also try Bell Helicopter. While in Texas I was only familiar with Bell and Lockheed (there are many others, but I had a limited scope for the short time I was out there /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ).

Good luck.

eg8r

SPetty
06-10-2005, 11:06 AM
Sorry to hear that, Deeman.

Maybe it's time for a career change? Perhaps something on the order of expensive fancy Custom Cue Case Maker?

Deeman2
06-10-2005, 11:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Man that sucks. The two of you in the same week. I hope you are able to bounce back quickly. Check this link (https://www.lmpeople.com/careers/search/search.asp) . I did a search in Texas for Mechanical Engineer and about 20 or so pop up. Most are in Fort Worth but a few are in Grand Prairie. Not sure where you are at, but maybe one of those might work out. You might also try Bell Helicopter. While in Texas I was only familiar with Bell and Lockheed (there are many others, but I had a limited scope for the short time I was out there /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ).

Good luck.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">

Ed, Thanks, I'll got to that site now.

Chopstick, appreciate the kind words. </font color>

Deeman

Deeman2
06-10-2005, 11:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Sorry to hear that, Deeman.

Maybe it's time for a career change? Perhaps something on the order of expensive fancy Custom Cue Case Maker?

<hr /></blockquote>
<font color="blue"> Maybe you're right. There's just not a lot in manufacturing in the U.S. anymore and I don't want o go back overseas.

I'll have to get better at the case making but I am making progress. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif This might force me to get into something different.

Deeman </font color>

SpiderMan
06-10-2005, 11:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Sorry to hear that, Deeman.

<hr /></blockquote>
<font color="blue"> Maybe you're right. There's just not a lot in manufacturing in the U.S. anymore and I don't want o go back overseas.

I'll have to get better at the case making but I am making progress. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif This might force me to get into something different.
Deeman </font color> <hr /></blockquote>
I was going to say something about the cases too, but SPetty beat me to it. How about this ... slip into Dallas and play some pool. 30 years is a long time, but I bet I know one old foe who'd be up for a rematch:

Shades of Funland! (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/funkychateau/detail?.dir=a8f2&amp;.dnm=7054.jpg&amp;.src=ph)

Does that guy use Grecian formula? He's got to be in his fifties now.

SpiderMan

Deeman2
06-10-2005, 12:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Sorry to hear that, Deeman.

<hr /></blockquote>

Deeman </font color> <hr /></blockquote>
I was going to say something about the cases too, but SPetty beat me to it. How about this ... slip into Dallas and play some pool. 30 years is a long time, but I bet I know one old foe who'd be up for a rematch:

Shades of Funland! (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/funkychateau/detail?.dir=a8f2&amp;.dnm=7054.jpg&amp;.src=ph)

Does that guy use Grecian formula? He's got to be in his fifties now.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

YOU GOT IT!

Deeman

dg-in-centralpa
06-10-2005, 02:41 PM
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. You can always come back north to the land of the Amish and Hershey chocolate.

DG

Deeman2
06-13-2005, 09:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Sorry to hear of your misfortune. You can always come back north to the land of the Amish and Hershey chocolate.

DG <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> DG,

Maybe i should but it seems there is poor prospects for Mechanical Engineers everywhere. Just too cheap for companies to manufacture overseas now.

Thanks for your kind thoughts.

Deeman
I do miss the Amish and Hershey's...</font color>

Wally_in_Cincy
06-14-2005, 12:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> ... Today is my last day at work.

<hr /></blockquote>

Sorry Deeman. I feel your pain. I always thought mechanical engineers were in demand. But if you're in the automotive industry I can understand this happening.

I've been off work 4 days and it seems like 4 weeks. I feel like things will shake loose in the next few days though. I'm getting more resumes on the street every day and have had a couple of feeler calls come in.

Me and the dog did go down to the river and find some nice rocks for the hosta garden though . So life is not all bad. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I don't know when I'll be online again so good luck.

Deeman2
06-15-2005, 02:51 AM
Wally,

Good luck to you too, my friend. Yep, automotive is tougher than most right now. I just got a call from an auto manufacturer and will go for a discussion tomorrow. They want me to do consulting for a while so I hope that works out. At least I would not have to pick up and move right now.

DeeMan

theinel
06-15-2005, 12:01 PM
Sorry to hear about that Deeman (and Wally). I hate to kick someone when they're down but maybe a quick conversion to Independent or Democrat would help? Just kidding. Good luck finding work.

Deeman2
06-15-2005, 01:21 PM
Everybody,

Thanks so much for your support and kind words. Looks like I found a position with a national company on a contract basis. They have a plant here so I won't have to mve, for now anyway.

Deeman
now let's get Wally one....

Chopstick
06-16-2005, 06:21 AM
http://floridasportsman.com/art/toast.gif

Great news and by the way:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid171/p557a64b213ae4e1be173806e43db84d3/f3e38711.jpg
<font color="blue">Very Cool. </font color>

Deeman2
06-16-2005, 03:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> http://floridasportsman.com/art/toast.gif

Great news and by the way:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid171/p557a64b213ae4e1be173806e43db84d3/f3e38711.jpg
<font color="blue">Very Cool. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Thanks Chopstick. I just got a confirmation call and start on Monday. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif My fantasy of just travelling around making a selling cue cases will just have to wait, I guess.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif </font color>

I hope I can still make to PettyPoint next weekend.

Deeman

Wally_in_Cincy
06-17-2005, 06:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr>

...<font color="blue"> I just got a confirmation call and start on Monday. <hr /></blockquote>

jolly good show m8

how was the week off? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

mine wasn't bad. got some work done around Chez Wally

me and the dog collected about 100 garden rocks all together, she likes going rock hunting with daddy /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Deeman2
06-17-2005, 02:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr>

...<font color="blue"> I just got a confirmation call and start on Monday. <hr /></blockquote>

jolly good show m8

how was the week off? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <font color="blue"> I made another couple of cue cases. The efforsts are gewtting better and easier to do as I get the right tools.</font color>

mine wasn't bad. got some work done around Chez Wally

me and the dog collected about 100 garden rocks all together, she likes going rock hunting with daddy /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">Our lab is crazy about rocks, will bark at them all day.When we were in Alabama we would throw large stones out of the horses pasture and the Lab, Midnight, would drag them all back in! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Keep the faith my friend. I'll be stuck on a midnight shift and working 7 day twelve hour shifts for a while. Consulting aint what it used to be!

Deeman </font color>

ceebee
06-19-2005, 07:37 AM
Deeman... Vought in Grand Prairie is doing sub-contract work on the 787 for BOEING, which will be a long term contract. Also, you can go to CE Weekly (Contract Engineer). BOEING, has lots of jobs too, you can find the list on their website.

Your history will have you working somewhere soon....

Deeman2
06-19-2005, 11:14 AM
ceebee,

Thanks, I'll check out their web site but I'm o.k. for now. I start work tonight at Dana Corporation and that'll keep me busy for a good while.

Deeman