PDA

View Full Version : The oldest bar in Flarda

Chopstick
06-10-2005, 09:39 AM
I was down in Key West the other day and I walked into a place called Captain Tony's. The place was opened in 1880. There is a local custom there for women to sign their bras and hang 'em some where. There are hundreds of them.

http://www.bobthebarfly.com/bras.jpg

After checking to see if 9BGs was among them, I looked down and saw this.

http://www.bobthebarfly.com/head.jpg

I asked the bartender what's with the headstone? (A tree growing in the middle of the room isn't even noticed down here.) The story goes that when this woman died, her husband was going through her things and found a bunch of love letters between her and Captain Tony. So, he went to the graveyard, and tried to dig the body out and couldn't get it. So, he took the headstone, put it in the back of his pickup truck, backed it through the front of the bar and kicked it off on the floor. It's been there ever since. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9 Ball Girl
06-10-2005, 09:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr>After checking to see if 9BGs was among them, I looked down and saw this.<hr /></blockquote>If you'd like, I can sign one of mine, give it to you when I see you in 2 weeks, and then you can go back to Captain Tony's and ask them to hang it up for you. Afterwards, you can snap a picture and post it to make sure the job was done. I wonder what kind of stares you'll get after telling them that it's not yours!

Voodoo Daddy
06-10-2005, 10:02 AM
Capt. Tony Tarracino was at one time Mayor of Key West, his bar is legendary...I worked with his son for years. If ya look at them pics you'll never get the real feel of that bar...gotta just go there!!

Chopstick
06-10-2005, 10:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr>After checking to see if 9BGs was among them, I looked down and saw this.<hr /></blockquote>If you'd like, I can sign one of mine, give it to you when I see you in 2 weeks, and then you can go back to Captain Tony's and ask them to hang it up for you. Afterwards, you can snap a picture and post it to make sure the job was done. I wonder what kind of stares you'll get after telling them that it's not yours! <hr /></blockquote>

Cool. My vacation was a bust. I got run out of there by the tropical storm. I'll be going back soon when the weather calms down.

Barbara
06-10-2005, 10:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> I was down in Key West the other day and I walked into a place called Captain Tony's. The place was opened in 1880. There is a local custom there for women to sign their bras and hang 'em some where. There are hundreds of them.

<hr /></blockquote>

Kinda like what you do at any bar during Bike Week in Daytona! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Barbara

Chopstick
06-10-2005, 10:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> I was down in Key West the other day and I walked into a place called Captain Tony's. The place was opened in 1880. There is a local custom there for women to sign their bras and hang 'em some where. There are hundreds of them.

<hr /></blockquote>

Kinda like what you do at any bar during Bike Week in Daytona! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

Should I be lookin' for yours? I live near Daytona. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
06-10-2005, 10:39 AM
You wear a bra?....

Barbara
06-10-2005, 10:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr>

Should I be lookin' for yours? I live near Daytona. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

If I could only remember the names of the places... /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Barbara

9 Ball Girl
06-10-2005, 10:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> You wear a bra?.... <hr /></blockquote>When the occasion calls for it, yes. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Voodoo Daddy
06-10-2005, 11:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr>

Should I be lookin' for yours? I live near Daytona. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

If I could only remember the names of the places... /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Smileys Tap, Boot Hill, Iron Horse, Pub 44, Last Resort @ Jackson Hole...I know Barbara's "wears" are hanging in only the finest establishments!!! HAHAHAHAHA /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara
06-10-2005, 11:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr>
Smileys Tap, Boot Hill, Iron Horse...I know Barbara's "wears" are hanging in only the finest establishments!!! HAHAHAHAHA /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Boot Hill!!! That's it!!

Don't forget "The Sqeeze Inn", too!!

Barbara~~~lmao...

landshark77
06-10-2005, 02:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> Capt. Tony Tarracino was at one time Mayor of Key West <hr /></blockquote>

Is he the one also whose's tombstone reads "I told you I was sick"?

Man IMO you are sooo lucky. You were in pits of Jimmy Buffett land. I only hope someday to be as lucky!!!! STUPID HURRICAINE!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Pizza Bob
06-10-2005, 04:29 PM
FWIW That bar was featured in the recent HBO movie (mini-series?) of Empire Falls. Paul Newman's character remembers it fondly and later ends up there for a spell.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Voodoo Daddy
06-10-2005, 09:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote landshark77:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> Capt. Tony Tarracino was at one time Mayor of Key West <hr /></blockquote>

Is he the one also whose's tombstone reads "I told you I was sick"?

Man IMO you are sooo lucky. You were in pits of Jimmy Buffett land. I only hope someday to be as lucky!!!! STUPID HURRICAINE!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Get down this way, PM me...and you will see Key West like a native, promise. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Barbara
06-11-2005, 06:55 AM
So Voodoo, what time of yer is the best time to visit the Keys? November/December?

Barbara

Voodoo Daddy
06-11-2005, 10:14 AM
WELL...Hurricane season ends 11/30, so in my opinion the best time is Dec 1-15 or Jan/Feb/Mar. I go once a month Barbara but I know when its best for the rest of the world to come.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-17-2005, 06:49 AM
the original sloppy joe's was that bar.

they have 2 ratty bar boxes and warped house cues