PDA

View Full Version : custom cue for wife

Drop1
06-10-2005, 06:36 PM
My wife is 4'10 inches,and has an arm span of fifty six inches. She has a hand span of seven inches so the fingers are short. What length,weight,and diameter would be best suited for her. I have the maker in mind,but that can change. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rich R.
06-11-2005, 04:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> My wife is 4'10 inches,and has an arm span of fifty six inches. She has a hand span of seven inches so the fingers are short. What length,weight,and diameter would be best suited for her. I have the maker in mind,but that can change. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Go to the cue maker, with your wife, and discuss it with him.

landshark77
06-11-2005, 04:41 AM
A friend I shoot with is about that height, maybe shorter and she shoots with a regular ol' production cue. A McDermott I think. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif Granted, she is no pro....I believe an APA 3, but she has never complained about the specs of her cue. Would her play improve if she has a custom?? That I do not know.

What does your builder suggest?

Leviathan
06-11-2005, 05:58 AM
I'd guess that balance would be the main issue. Your wife's grip hand will be well forward on the wrap, so she might like a cue that's somewhat forward balanced.

AS

Stretch
06-11-2005, 07:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> I'd guess that balance would be the main issue. Your wife's grip hand will be well up on the wrap, so she might do well with a cue that's a little light behind her grip hand. Maybe a production cue that has little or no added weight in the butt and has a moderately heavy joint assembly would be appropriate.

AS <hr /></blockquote>

I would get a few good cues with different lengths, and wieghts.Then u have her play with them all and pick the one that "feels" the best to her. St.

Leviathan
06-11-2005, 07:59 AM
A simple and elegant solution, Stretch!--AS

Drop1
06-11-2005, 10:33 AM
Rich,
Can't go to the cue maker.This is going to be a gift for our forty years of marriage. I don't think its going to make a great deal of difference to her game,but it will tell her better than any other way,that after forty years,
she is the person that does make my day.

Rich R.
06-11-2005, 01:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> Rich,
Can't go to the cue maker.This is going to be a gift for our forty years of marriage. I don't think its going to make a great deal of difference to her game,but it will tell her better than any other way,that after forty years,
she is the person that does make my day. <hr /></blockquote>
Your intentions are honorable, however, she is going to be the one using the cue, regardless of her skill.
If you really want to show her that she matters, include her in the decision process. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

landshark77
06-11-2005, 03:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> Rich,
she is the person that does make my day. <hr /></blockquote>
Your intentions are honorable, however, she is going to be the one using the cue, regardless of her skill.
If you really want to show her that she matters, include her in the decision process. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

LOL, I dunno Rich when I got my first custom cue I was suprised. Shocked even. I personally like that feeling (when it is a good thing.) Granted, my circumstances are diffrent and I saw the cue being built and was able to offer feedback while it was being created....I just didn't know it was for me. Maybe he could tell the wife the cue is for him and have her "help pick something out"?

Drop1
06-11-2005, 09:09 PM
We live in Mexico. My builder wants me to find another builder,because I need this cue within eighteen months,and he is booked all the way. He did give me some good information on custom cue makers. The bottom line is most cue makers don't want to adjust their equipment,and would prefer to make cues that fall in to a you pick from my styles,and I can let you pick the wood,inlay, number of points,rings,and wrap,and joint. I have my own design,and know how I want it to look,when it is done. There should be a difference in her playing skills,just based on the biomechanics, my builder says balance,and taper should be different;less length will give her better control.

rukiddingme
06-11-2005, 11:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> We live in Mexico. My builder wants me to find another builder,because I need this cue within eighteen months,and he is booked all the way. He did give me some good information on custom cue makers. The bottom line is most cue makers don't want to adjust their equipment,and would prefer to make cues that fall in to a you pick from my styles,and I can let you pick the wood,inlay, number of points,rings,and wrap,and joint. I have my own design,and know how I want it to look,when it is done. There should be a difference in her playing skills,just based on the biomechanics, my builder says balance,and taper should be different;less length will give her better control. <hr /></blockquote>

There are quite a few cue makers that can oblige. I suggest going to azbilliards site and post under the ask the cue maker forum. Quite a few post there...Madden, Ted Harris, Webb, Bludworth, Blackheart plus other az members may give you some feedback as well.
ruk

ceebee
06-12-2005, 06:52 AM
Hey there Drop1, give John Parker of Auerbach Custom Cues a call.. you'll be glad you did... see some of John Parker's beautiful work at www.auerbachcustomcues.com (http://www.auerbachcustomcues.com) 918-381-9364

Rod
06-12-2005, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The bottom line is most cue makers don't want to adjust their equipment,and would prefer to make cues that fall in to a you pick from my styles <hr /></blockquote>

Then I'd find a real custom cue builder. Custom means -- well -- custom. My thinking is along the same line as your builder. If you want the butt of a cue to be say - .020 smaller for her small hands, then that is what you want.(ever play with a large butt cue?) For a lady with small hands it would feel like a baseball bat. A few thousands does make a big difference.

Rod

Drop1
06-12-2005, 01:53 PM
ceebee,Thanks for the contact.They make some beautiful cues,and I have contacted them via e-mail to see if we can work together on building a classic.

Regulator
06-12-2005, 10:10 PM
John at Auerbach told me he makes several cues at a time and can usually finish a custom cue in 5 to 8 weeks.