PDA

View Full Version : Breaking news --Match of the Decade

Vagabond
06-12-2005, 05:52 AM
Hello CCB,
Yesterday I learned from my grapevine that a match is scheduled between Lori Jon Jones and mike Siegal on 8/21/05 in Las Vegas.It will be game of 8 ball,race to 9 best of 3 sets.I know u are eager to know about the prize money.
winner gets one Hundred Thousand US $ and the runner up gets Fifty Thousand US $.
More details are expected to come out thru the pool media from the sponsors/promotors/producers.
I hope that my grapevine did not give me false information.
Vagabond

Popcorn
06-12-2005, 08:30 AM
In other words $75,000. a piece. Just kidding this could be a good thing, kind of hokey but good. For this to work though they will need to do some real promotion on like Lettermen, Leno, Regis and well as the news networks. As it is right now the public have no idea who they are so why should they care who wins. I am happy they will get a paycheck but you want it to have some benefit for the sport aside from just them. People need to be talking about it and I will start right now by saying, You could wake Mike up in the middle of the night and put a cue in his hand and he will drill Lori Jon on her best day. I hope they set up a betting line on this. That would defiantly create some interest.

cueball1950
06-12-2005, 03:10 PM
I think a better match would be Mike and Alison. loree john is a very nice lady and a beautiful person. i know both her and her husband Sammy. but i still think the other would be better......................................mike

Vagabond
06-12-2005, 03:17 PM
Hi,
There are several other 8 Ball tournaments with big money are in the works.It is good for some pool players.Cheers
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

dg-in-centralpa
06-12-2005, 03:18 PM
I agree with you Mike. Sigel would have better competition with Allison or Karen. As much as I like Loree Jon, she hsn't been at the top of her game for years. Still, it may be good for pool.

DG - enjoying summer

Rich R.
06-12-2005, 06:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vagabond:</font><hr> Hi,
There are several other 8 Ball tournaments with big money are in the works.It is good for some pool players.Cheers
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Do you know where these will be played and if any of these tournaments will be televised?

Drop1
06-12-2005, 08:27 PM
Only a moron would not have Alison in there. Hope your information through the grapevine is correct. Who would do the commentary? On second thought,I think someone is yanking your chain.

Vagabond
06-12-2005, 08:28 PM
Hi Rich R,
I was skeptical and I did not believe what I was hearing (Example:Half a Million US $ for the winner of a 8 Ball tournament with 500 tables) .I did not show any interest to ask questions to get details because it appeared unbelievable.Sorry Rich,I do not know any details.
I do not play tournaments let alone 8 Ball.If what I heard is true,I may play that tournament with first prize of Half a Million US $.cheers
vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Rich R.
06-13-2005, 02:33 AM
Vagabond, there must be some truth to what you heard. I read at AZB that Mike H. got notification.
I guess we will all have to wait and see what pans out.

SpiderMan
06-13-2005, 08:06 AM
That's like calling a bout between myself and Mike Tyson the match of the decade.

SpiderMan

Popcorn
06-13-2005, 10:42 AM
You might beat him.

Cane
06-13-2005, 11:02 AM
Marty, Wear your tooth proof ear muffs!

Bob

PQQLK9
06-13-2005, 01:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> I agree with you Mike. Sigel would have better competition with Allison or Karen. As much as I like Loree Jon, she hsn't been at the top of her game for years. Still, it may be good for pool.

DG - enjoying summer <hr /></blockquote>

I agree, however they may be limiting the players to HOF'ers. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

SpiderMan
06-13-2005, 02:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> You might beat him. <hr /></blockquote>

Sure, if his wind is as bad as they say, and I can get him to chase me around the ring for the first ten rounds ....

SpiderMan

Vagabond
06-13-2005, 03:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> That's like calling a bout between myself and Mike Tyson the match of the decade.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Hi my friend Spiderman,
I was focussing on the prize fund.I am not aware of another match where runner up got fifty thousand Us $.Take care
vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Keith Talent
06-14-2005, 07:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> I agree with you Mike. Sigel would have better competition with Allison or Karen. As much as I like Loree Jon, she hsn't been at the top of her game for years. Still, it may be good for pool.

DG - enjoying summer <hr /></blockquote>

I agree, however they may be limiting the players to HOF'ers. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

If you wanted two HOFers who can still play, and both dominated the game in their day, don't think you could do better than Mike vs. JEAN. Maybe she'd come out of retirement for this kind of payday.

SPetty
06-14-2005, 09:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith Talent:</font><hr>If you wanted two HOFers who can still play, and both dominated the game in their day, don't think you could do better than Mike vs. JEAN. Maybe she'd come out of retirement for this kind of payday. <hr /></blockquote>Wow, now that I'd like to see!

Popcorn
06-14-2005, 09:38 AM
I think she would have nothing to gain and everything to lose. She has become a legend and it should be left like that. Actually, I'm not so sure she could beat Fisher even when she was playing her best, but then she had probably not reached her peak when she quit so we will never know. The strongest thing I always noticed about her was, if I can say this without it being politically incorrect, she played like a man. She was powerful and fired the balls around moving the cueball in a way you don't see the girls do even now. The girls play a soft finesse game for the most part and she played like the men in my opinion.

cycopath
06-14-2005, 10:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> In other words $75,000. a piece. <hr /></blockquote>

LMAO!

That's funny stuff, Popcorn.

Keith Talent
06-14-2005, 12:49 PM
Well, I suppose this whole thing is not much more likely than that 1M tourney ... but a Battle of the Sexes along the lines of Billie Jean King vs. Bobby Riggs would be a kick.

As for Jean, I saw her playing a few months ago (and one set across the table from me) and she was hitting them pretty strong ... gave Gerda all she could handle, too. She's only 45, and if she were to practice for a couple of months, who knows?

Popcorn
06-14-2005, 01:26 PM
To be honest, the match that would be a draw and if promoted correctly would capture the interest of even non players would be a match between Jean and Fisher. Jean is the hall of famer regarded as arguably the most talented ladies player ever and Fisher who is so dominant in today's arena is almost unchallenged except by the short race format where she can get beat. With so few women in history who have ever reached that level of play they could settle some of the controversy as to who is the greatest woman player of our time. I think money could get Jean out of retirement and may even re-wet her appetite to play again. I would pay to see it. It would have to be legitimate though, played over maybe three nights, straight pool, 8-ball and 9-ball, a legitimate format. It could draw some attention to the game with a good build up to it. They may even hook up and go on tour doing exhibitions like Mosconi and Greenfief did years ago

Eric.
06-15-2005, 09:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> It would have to be legitimate though, played over maybe three nights, straight pool, 8-ball and 9-ball, a legitimate format. <hr /></blockquote>

I agree that it would have to be set up properly so that it didn't become some kind of circus act. I think Jean would have an unfair advantage in Straight Pool. I'm not sure that Allison has enough backround in it to be fair. 9 Ball should be an interesting contrast in styles. Jean's game being more of a power game; her power break and the way she powers the rock around the table. Allison's game seems to use more finesse.

Unfortunately, knowing Jean, she wouldn't "sell out" even for some cash, so this would probably never go down. I'd imagine that in order for her to play, it really would have to be for something big.

Eric

theinel
06-15-2005, 03:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr>I'm not sure that Allison has enough backround in it to be fair.<hr /></blockquote>
I haven't ever gotten to actually see Jean play so it's difficult to compare her to Allison. I know Jean is one of the greats and it's very unfortunate for pool fans that she is retired but Allison is world class in 9-Ball and Snooker and she won the 2000 Womens BCA US Open 14.1 Championships (Jean won in 72, 73, 74, &amp; 83). I dont think Allison would be considered an underdog in 14.1.