PDA

View Full Version : Is your cue *really* 19 ounces? Probably not!

Billy_Bob
06-13-2005, 08:29 AM
It has happened again! My friend came over to play with his "new" cue, which had a 19oz label on the butt. He was not playing up to standard, so we started checking out his new cue, measuring this and that...

Well it was NOT 19oz. It was 17.5 oz! (Weighed on my very accurate scale.)

This is about the 8th time I have seen this. A cue has a certain weight label on it, it is weighed on an accurate scale (cue dealer's or my scale), then it is nowhere near the weight on the label.

Switching weights of cues can mess up your speed control, so may want to take your cue to a dealer who has an accurate scale and be sure, or get your own accurate scale.

I first tried one of those cheap food scales, but would get a different weight each time I weighed the same thing.

So I purchased an accurate scale for $79.95 at the following link. I bought the Tanita KD-200-110, which is accurate to two decimal places and has a max of 35 oz. (On front page of following link.) The scales which can weigh a larger weight are not accurate to as many decimal places (at least with this model). Also this model has a "tare" button. This is good for weighing things which will roll off the scale. You can place something on the scale like a bowl to weigh balls, press "tare", then the scale zero's out. Then place ball in bowl and you will just get the weight of the ball.

http://www.scalesgalore.com

JohnnyP
06-13-2005, 08:52 AM
My new special order Viking cue was supposed to be 19 oz. After the dealer removed the 1 oz weight bolt, it weighed in at 19.3 oz. Close enough, but it had me worried for a bit.

Popcorn
06-13-2005, 09:06 AM
One mistake I have seen when weighing cues is when someone weighs in grams. Grams will be more accurate but you have to use the right conversion to ounces. If you divide by 28 you will be off by quite a bit. You have to use 28.349. On a 20 ounce cue you will be off by 1/4 of an ounce if you used the commonly thought of 28.
It is common though, when people are at my house they are always wanting to put their cue on the scale, I use a triple beam, and very often they are surprised how much different the cue weighs then what they thought. One guy said right on the spot, "How much do you charge to change the weight, I don't play with a 19 ounce, I like a 19 1/4". He had been using the cue for more then a year and was happy till he found out it didn't weigh what he thought. I did change the weight for him and he told me a few days later how much better it felt now. People can be really nuts sometimes.

ras314
06-13-2005, 09:17 AM
I've bought 3 new production cues from internet dealers. None of the weight stickers were correct, which was ok since the sticker weight wasn't what I ordered in the first place. So I've done a bit of weight bolt changing.

Bought 1 used custom cue over ebay, weight was exactly as advertised. And it wasn't even threaded for a weight bolt.

SpiderMan
06-13-2005, 09:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> I've bought 3 new production cues from internet dealers. None of the weight stickers were correct, which was ok since the sticker weight wasn't what I ordered in the first place. So I've done a bit of weight bolt changing.

Bought 1 used custom cue over ebay, weight was exactly as advertised. And it wasn't even threaded for a weight bolt. <hr /></blockquote>

In the case of the used cue, probably the owner had weighed it and just listed it as whatever he measured.

I weighed my Jacoby on a set of bar scales and it measured 20.4 ounces. I don't even remember what it was originally claimed to be.

SpiderMan

ras314
06-13-2005, 09:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>
In the case of the used cue, probably the owner had weighed it and just listed it as whatever he measured.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Wish whoever put the stickers on production cues would do the same. But I guess if some dealers don't bother to ship what you order it wouldn't matter.

Ebay seller turned out to be Shorty over on AZB. Weighs 20 1/4 oz and I usually want around 18 oz. Actually weight doesn't seem to matter all that much to me, although changing the balance does sometimes. This one is 60" which probably accounts for the extra weight. I'll bring it to the great chili cook off.

I also bought a sledgehammer from Mike Gulassey sp? at the US Open, told him I wanted something between 18 and 18 1/2 oz. Took him about a minuet to fiddle with weight bolts and wound up with one about 3/4" long for 18.1 oz on his scales. Guess he's used to fussy customers. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bluey2king
06-13-2005, 12:38 PM
Thanks Billy Bob....Great post and Info!