PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Dave at PettyPoint

SPetty
06-13-2005, 09:31 AM
On Saturday evening, our own Dr. Dave made his way out to PettyPoint in between grueling days at randyg's pool school here in the Dallas area. He also brought along a couple of randyg protege instructors that post here, caedos and littleCajun.

I overheard Dr. Dave telling someone about his class - they've suggested some changes to his form: stand like this, put his feet like this, put his head like this, move his grip hand to here, put his chin there, bend his knees a little...

Nice guy. He's got a pretty good game, too. And, I saw him using his 30 degree peace sign hand gesture! He was nice to LeRoy and got to drive the Gator. He knows good beer (hint: Nothing's finer than a swig of Shiner!) And he brought me an autographed book!

Anyway, no big stories that I remember, just a lot of fun. As is getting to be the norm (which is good and bad), the wait for table time was a little too long (again!). The CCBers that were there include ryushen21, Sid_Vicious, Deeman2, dr_dave, caedos, littleCajun, and Spiderman.

Deeman was planning to post about Dr. Dave and his 30 degree weapons of destruction, but he probably forgot he didn't have a computer at work to go back to. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif He's doing O.K. and I'm glad he was able to make it.

We're ALL looking forward to the PettyPoint CCB Chili CookOff and Tamale Eating and Pool Playing Weekend in less than two weeks! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dr_dave
06-13-2005, 10:47 AM
SPetty,

Thank you so much for your hospitality. I lived in Texas for a while (in Austin in the late 80s and early 90s) and I had almost forgotten how friendly Texans are. Thanks for reminding me.

PettyPoint is a great place. I'm sure anybody who saw it would be envious to have such a place of their own, especially with all of the friendly and good pool players hanging around. Y'all should count yourselves lucky.

I loved meeting all of the CCBers. It's fun having faces and personalities to go along with the user names.

I hope to make it back soon. Maybe I can make it to next year's chili cook off. Unfortunately, it's not in the cards for this month.

Regards,
Dave

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> On Saturday evening, our own Dr. Dave made his way out to PettyPoint in between grueling days at randyg's pool school here in the Dallas area. He also brought along a couple of randyg protege instructors that post here, caedos and littleCajun.

I overheard Dr. Dave telling someone about his class - they've suggested some changes to his form: stand like this, put his feet like this, put his head like this, move his grip hand to here, put his chin there, bend his knees a little...

Nice guy. He's got a pretty good game, too. And, I saw him using his 30 degree peace sign hand gesture! He was nice to LeRoy and got to drive the Gator. He knows good beer (hint: Nothing's finer than a swig of Shiner!) And he brought me an autographed book!

Anyway, no big stories that I remember, just a lot of fun. As is getting to be the norm (which is good and bad), the wait for table time was a little too long (again!). The CCBers that were there include ryushen21, Sid_Vicious, Deeman2, dr_dave, caedos, littleCajun, and Spiderman.

Deeman was planning to post about Dr. Dave and his 30 degree weapons of destruction, but he probably forgot he didn't have a computer at work to go back to. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif He's doing O.K. and I'm glad he was able to make it.

We're ALL looking forward to the PettyPoint CCB Chili CookOff and Tamale Eating and Pool Playing Weekend in less than two weeks! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif<hr /></blockquote>

Deeman2
06-13-2005, 12:22 PM
SPetty,

Ah! But I may have a computer at home. It was a great time as usual. Ace High and I were almost back to Longview when he noticed lights from an overturned van off the expressway. We back up and the van had rolled about twenty times. The engine was still crackling and smoking but we could not find a body or anything. We even thought the bodies might be pinned under the vehicle but none were found when we crawled under it. We yelled into the woods and then the ambulance pulled up. They didn't have a flashlight (I mean, is that not a basic parametic tool?)so I got one out of the truck and we searched the woods and area around the wreck. There was only a small amount of blood in the vehicle and all windows, I mean all, were broken out. The vehicle was covered with dust and no handprints were there we figured he/she/them were thrown out. The cops arrived and we continued to search with no results (but they did have their own flashlights). There were 22 cold beers in and around the van so we figured the person ran into the woods to avoid a DWI. Anyway, while talking to the cops, one said, "It must have been pool player." I said, "Wait, were pool players." He said, "Ten Ball!" I said, "I'll play you anything." He said, "No, there's a ten ball." Sure enough, in the wreckage, there was a blue striped ten ball! I picked up the ten ball and put it in my pocket. Walter and I will use it as a good luck charm in our team matches....

I took some photos of the wreck to show Tori and we headed home. We got in at 3:00a.m.

Dr. Dave was a blast. He weilded those 30 and 60 degree split fingers like a weapon, like drawing them from a holster! Yes, he ran balls like an animal....

Spiderman inspected my new layered tip and didn't even laugh at the instalation (hey, I have not paid for it yet!).

I showed two of efforts at cases. I am doing more now as I don't have alot else to occupy my time now. Won about $40 last night at $5 nine ball (how far we have fallen!) but the guy frm Shrieveport that I played came up short by $15. Now, I know that's mchump change but I was miffed he was playing on air against my cash. He hit an ATM but his card was bust (heard that before?). I just wolfed at him over it and and he ended up giving me his cue. I didn't want or need it but Tori thought it might teach him a lesson and save his life some time. Anyway, it's a piece of crap cue, of course, but Tori liked it so maybe I can start giving away free cues with the cases I sell. I told Torithis is about cue number 50 I've gotten stuck with on a dry bet. It's probably more like 10 but 50 sounds more impressive.

Anyway, nice weekend. I may post the wreck pictures after I find out the true story of the wreck.I hate to post them and have the guy or people found in a ditch dead next week.

Can't wait until the Chili time...

Deeman

dr_dave
06-13-2005, 02:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr>Ace High and I were almost back to Longview when he noticed lights from an overturned van off the expressway. We back up and the van had rolled about twenty times. The engine was still crackling and smoking but we could not find a body or anything. We even thought the bodies might be pinned under the vehicle but none were found when we crawled under it. We yelled into the woods and then the ambulance pulled up. They didn't have a flashlight (I mean, is that not a basic parametic tool?)so I got one out of the truck and we searched the woods and area around the wreck. There was only a small amount of blood in the vehicle and all windows, I mean all, were broken out. The vehicle was covered with dust and no handprints were there we figured he/she/them were thrown out. The cops arrived and we continued to search with no results (but they did have their own flashlights). There were 22 cold beers in and around the van so we figured the person ran into the woods to avoid a DWI. Anyway, while talking to the cops, one said, "It must have been pool player." I said, "Wait, were pool players." He said, "Ten Ball!" I said, "I'll play you anything." He said, "No, there's a ten ball." Sure enough, in the wreckage, there was a blue striped ten ball! I picked up the ten ball and put it in my pocket. Walter and I will use it as a good luck charm in our team matches....<hr /></blockquote>
Wow! That certainly sounds like something you'll remember for some time to come. I wonder if the other 14 (or 15) balls had anything to do with the windows being broken out. (I know that pavement doesn't need the help of pool balls to break out windows, but it's fun to think about it anyway, assuming nobody was seriously hurt in the accident). Or, maybe the driver was a cocaine dealer that found a new way to disguise a shipment in the form of pool balls. When he wrecked, he tried to collect them all, because they are valuable and potentially incriminating, but he didn't find the elusive 10-ball. If I were you, I would have a dog check out that 10-ball. (just kidding /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif)

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr>Dr. Dave was a blast. He weilded those 30 and 60 degree split fingers like a weapon, like drawing them from a holster! Yes, he ran balls like an animal....<hr /></blockquote>
Thanks Deeman. Let's not get carried away though. For one thing, I only have a 30 degree weapon (my hand V-sign). For another thing, I won some games, but I certainly didn't measure up to the skill of most of you guys. Thanks for the flattery anyway.

I hope I see you guys again soon,
Dave

Ace
06-13-2005, 02:08 PM
I enjoyed meeting everyone Saturday night, including Dr Dave, at Petty Point. Thank you Spetty for allowing me to stick around and try to learn this exciting game you call 8-ball and 9-ball. I am going to keep practicing and try to get better.
Deeman2 is telling the truth about a really bad vehical accident involving a mini-van that rolled a numerous amount of times ending up on the passenger side in the trees just off of Interstate-20. No one was to be found but there was plenty of really cold beer around and we did find a ten-ball at the seen. Deeman kept the ten-ball as a good luck charm, but it did not help thedriver of the van.

randyg
06-13-2005, 02:41 PM
SPetty: Wish I could have made the party. Doesn't sound like I missed much. Just a little beer, chili, pool and great conversation. Damm, I better start planning for the next one......randyg

SPetty
06-13-2005, 05:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr>Wish I could have made the party. <hr /></blockquote>After I learned that Doc, caedos and littleCajun plus Dr. Dave were coming, I thought for sure you'd surprise me and show up with them! I'm sure you know, you're welcome any time.

Maybe some day you'll fill me in on what they really thought of the place... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Barbara
06-13-2005, 05:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> SPetty: Wish I could have made the party. Doesn't sound like I missed much. Just a little beer, chili, pool and great conversation. Damm, I better start planning for the next one......randyg <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Randy!

You go, I go. You'll recognize me, I'll be with Fran!

Barbara

SPetty
06-13-2005, 06:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr>Hey Randy!

You go, I go. You'll recognize me, I'll be with Fran!<hr /></blockquote>Damn! Now wouldn't that be something!!! Man, if that happens, I'm buying the cranberry juice for randyg, Cabo Wabo for Barbara and whatever it might be that Fran drinks! Man, that would be fun! Just let me know when! Wow! Way too many exclamation points here!!!

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Deeman2
06-13-2005, 09:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> If I were you, I would have a dog check out that 10-ball. (just kidding /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif)

<font color="blue"> Dr. Dave:

I'm now in the process of grinding up the 10 ball for snorting. purely for scientific purposes, you understand. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Really enjoyed meeting you.</font color>

Deeman

dr_dave
06-14-2005, 07:40 AM
FYI, with SPetty's permission, I've posted some PettyPoint photos online so everybody else can be as envious as I am. You can view them at:
www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/PettyPoint/ (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/PettyPoint/)

Regards,
Dave

SPetty
06-15-2005, 01:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> I may post the wreck pictures after I find out the true story of the wreck. I hate to post them and have the guy or people found in a ditch dead next week.<hr /></blockquote>Hey Dee, did you ever hear the rest of the story about that minivan?

DickLeonard
06-15-2005, 06:44 PM
SPetty I did like Shiner Bock when I was in Texas.####

ryushen21
06-15-2005, 08:31 PM
I was successful again in not having my picture taken. However, i can't believe that passed on such an opportunity. I have been trying to lobby for a pool class at the college level. I wanted to call it "Applied Physics and Geometry." I'm sure with an approval from Dr. Dave i would get a lot further. I'll have to remember to ask for his support on that next time.

Deeman2
06-15-2005, 10:16 PM
SPetty,

NO, I guess it's far enough from Longview (Tyler) not to make our newspaper.

I'll let everyone know if I hear from it.

Deeman

dr_dave
06-16-2005, 01:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ryushen21:</font><hr> I was successful again in not having my picture taken. However, i can't believe that passed on such an opportunity. I have been trying to lobby for a pool class at the college level. I wanted to call it "Applied Physics and Geometry." I'm sure with an approval from Dr. Dave i would get a lot further. I'll have to remember to ask for his support on that next time. <hr /></blockquote>
I'm sorry (or you're welcome?) I didn't catch you in a photo.

I'd be happy to provide any support I can to help you lobby for a pool physics course. I have often thought about doing such a course at my university, but it would be a hard sell in my department and college. I might try to do it some day anyway.

I enjoyed meeting you,
Dave

ryushen21
06-16-2005, 02:04 PM
That would be a "you're welcome." I always try to avoid having my picture taken. Sometimes it is unavoidable though.

The big problem with justifying that class is that the university wants to classify it under EXSA (exercise and sports activity) and apparently there just isn't enough activity in pool to justify it to them. That and they wouldn't know who they could get to teach it. Nonetheless, i think it is still a great avenue to explore. Once you get a quality instructor to teach it, it could become a great ptogram and create a huge number of new players. But maybe that is just me.

caedos
06-16-2005, 08:04 PM
Just a quick post from Maryland...

Randy G and I finally get to stay in hotel with internet access! littleCajun, my wife, and I had a great time at Petty Point. Spetty's place is greatness. Les was kind enough to bring Dr.Dave's cue into school the following day. I guess he was overwhelmed and forgot the lumber:) The roof of my mouth was attacked by hot chili, and Spetty informs me the heating pot is psycho!

Dr.Dave, thank you for the photos.

Spetty, thank you for having us out. We'll see about getting the G-man out for a spell.

It was good putting some faces to names! I wish I had more time for that... or the resources to go to CCB gatherings in other states. Maybe when I win the lotto...

c

DickLeonard
06-17-2005, 05:46 AM
Dr. Dave with the wide stance if you drew a parallel line your left heel would be on the top of the line and your right toe would be on the bottom of the line.

As for the high elbow you might have to go to the Ralph Greenleaf,Willie Hoppe,Willie Mosconi sidearm stroke, bend your elbow and tuck it on your shoulder bone, Bend your wrist down till your fingers are straight to the to floor. That eliminates the curve in you stroke. They seemed to do well with the sidearm Stroke of their youth.####

poolturtle
06-17-2005, 10:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The big problem with justifying that class is that the university wants to classify it under EXSA (exercise and sports activity) and apparently there just isn't enough activity in pool to justify it to them. That and they wouldn't know who they could get to teach it. Nonetheless, i think it is still a great avenue to explore. Once you get a quality instructor to teach it, it could become a great ptogram and create a huge number of new players. But maybe that is just me. <hr /></blockquote>

Tarleton State in Stephenville has a bowling class. You'd think it'd be fairly easy to get a billiards class going too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

ryushen21
06-17-2005, 02:18 PM
Yeah, we have bowling at UTA as well. still no luck with it. I think i could have a signed letter from the President of the United States and they would still say no just to spite me. UTA can be like that sometimes.