PDA

View Full Version : Tournament idea

loyter
06-13-2005, 10:58 AM
Here's an idea (I'm sure it's not an original one, but what the heck.)

Why doesn't the PBA or some other sanctioning body put on a truly "open" tournament? Put up some good prize money, and take the first 128 entries, male, female, whatever. I haven't worked out the details...and I won't...but it could be limited to pro players. Anyway, the results would go a long way toward answering the old men v women debate.

The best part of a tourney like that would be the morketing possibilities. The exposure would be great. The ratings would be through the roof.

I understand the reasons for keeping seperate tours, but a yearly "open" would be great P.R.

1Time
06-21-2005, 12:50 AM
One problem is with opening it up to the first 128, men or women. This in effect would block out many women players. Few women would want to compete. It would have to be 64 men and 64 women. And, even with this the sponsors know the men would quickly eliminate the women and the tourney would flop.

christopheradams
06-21-2005, 05:35 PM
The Joss tour is open to any Women and any Men and Karen Corr plays on it from time to time and places at some events. Correct me if I'm wrong but I beleive she won at least 1 event. Not sure if there is a max limit on the field at joss events are but I do now its open to anyone that can pony up the $100-$150 entry fee. I know Karen's not the only woman player whos entered, just can't recall the others.

1Time
06-21-2005, 11:28 PM
I could see Karen and other top women players occasionally placing in an open. However, require the field to be filled with the first 64 men and 64 women, and the tourney would flop.