PDA

View Full Version : Vacation over!

Cane
06-13-2005, 11:18 AM
Well, I'm baaaaaack! Fishing vacation is over. I sure did miss being on a pool table every day, but other than pool, I haven't had that much fun in years! Flounder fishing in the bay, Mangrove snapper on the walls, Black Tip sharks on the Jetty and the best part... Kingfish about 10 miles offshore in the blue water. I don't know how many kingfish I caught, but I did nail 2 over 40 pounds. For those of you that have never fished for kingfish, these things are like hooking a Top Fuel Funny Car at half track! It's a blast.

Anyways, I'm back to "Pool World" now, have league tonight, tomorrow night, tournament on Thursday, 2 students on Friday, another tournament Saturday and Sunday. I used to think my practice and playing schedule was grueling! I'm ready to get back to my "restful" life of playing pool! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Later,
Bob

9 Ball Girl
06-13-2005, 11:53 AM
Welcome back!

Do you eat the fish or do you throw 'em back? If you do eat them, do you fry 'em, bake 'em, saute 'em, or grill 'em?

Wendy<---I'm hooked to the Food Network and in love with Bobby Flay! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Cane
06-13-2005, 12:20 PM
Wendy, Well, Both, actually... I love fish, but it depends on what I'm fishing for and where I'm fishing. Usually I'll grill the saltwater fish, but have been known to mircrowave a flounder... only fish I've ever found that you can microwave and it tastes great! The kingfish, I split the filet, put a piece of jalepeno in it, wrap it in bacon and grill it until the bacon is done... whew... you can put a piece of it on top of your head and your tongue will beat your brains out trying to get to it!!!

Saltwater... Yes, I eat the Kingfish, Shark, Flounder and Red Snapper, I release, any shark other than Blacktip, also release Redfish, Croaker and others that I don't care for. The saltwater species I harvest and eat are plentiful AND tasty! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif As a matter of fact, I have about 40 pounds of Kingfish filets in my freezer right now (would have had more, but one of my friends didn't catch any kings so I gave him a bunch of filets) and that's what I'm having for my meal before I head out to play pool tonight.

Freshwater, well, different story. I am a bamboo rodmaker and I fish freshwater almost exclusively for trout. I practice Catch and Release 95% of the time. First, I don't like trout that much, second, some of the fisheries are so abused by fisherpersons who think catching their limit means doing it three times a day, that I won't participate in depleting the trout waters. The only time I keep a trout is if I hook him badly and he's bleeding. If he's bleeding he dies, period. Trout don't survive well. If that happens, then I eat it. I won't kill anything and waste it.

btw, that microwave flounder.... cut a line straight down the backbone, then cut several lines across, pack them with butter, sprinkle with Lemon Pepper, microwave for about 4 or 5 minutes, take it out, put it in the oven with the oven on broil for a few minutes to kind of crust it over... the skin peels right off, the top meat (on top of the ribcage) will almost fall out, then you can pull the backbone and rib cage out in one piece and eat what's below the ribs... good stuff!

Later,
Bob

SPetty
06-13-2005, 05:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> The saltwater species I harvest and eat are plentiful AND tasty! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif As a matter of fact, I have about 40 pounds of Kingfish filets in my freezer right now (would have had more, but one of my friends didn't catch any kings so I gave him a bunch of filets) and that's what I'm having for my meal before I head out to play pool tonight.<hr /></blockquote>Hmmm, got any good fish chili recipes? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

eg8r
06-14-2005, 05:11 AM
Sounds like you had a great time. I am headed off on a fishing vacation (first one ever) in August. We are going for salmon and tuna.

eg8r

Cane
06-14-2005, 01:43 PM
Tuna! Now that's something I wanted to get into, but for my first time fishing for larger species offshore, I was thrilled with the Kingfish. I'd love to have a freezer full of yellowfin, tho!

Spetty, Whew... fish chili just doesn't sound right! LOL HOWEVER, for those brave of heart, I may make a little pico type thing that we made and ate on the boat. chopped shrimp, fish, onions, peppers, tomatoes, garlic, lime juice. Spread it on a cracker and it's a pretty tasty little snack (there is a name for it which escapes me at the moment).

Later,
Bob