PDA

View Full Version : played 3 local handicap 9 ball tournaments so far

06-12-2002, 05:02 AM
A week ago last Mon I played in a local open handicap 9 ball tournament. They started me out as a 5 handicap. I lost to a 9 1/2 handicap 4-9. The next Thur I played in the 7 & under tournament. I lost to a 6 1/2 handicap 2-6. Then last Mon I lost in the open tournament to a 5 or 5 1/2 handicap 1-5. I'm definitely going in the wrong direction. Maybe I'm choking.

I'm always hearing players complain that their handicap is too high. They seem to always be lobbying the owner/director to lower their handicap. At last Mon tournament he agreed to lower someone's from a 9 to 8 1/2 for his next tournament. And he told the player he wouldn't go any lower. That was after the player had him pull out the records for all the past tournaments. He won it in Jan playing as a 10 or 10 1/2. The owner said that showed you are capable of winning it all at a 10 or 10 1/2.

Back to my game. Last Mon I was soundly beaten by a 5 or 5 1/2. And this player wasn't a sandbagger. He did get some lucky rolls. But he still would have beaten me without them. The owner watched some of my play from behind the counter. After my match he said next tournament he would lower me to a 4 1/2. I instinctively said no. I'd rather play at a 5. Sooner or later I will start shooting. He wasn't trying to insult me. He said I just want you to have a fair chance. I often lower newer players after a few weeks. This last Mon would have been a great chance for me to finish in the money or win it all. The player that beat me played a 5 or 5 1/2. And he lost. And that winner played a 7. So I should have lucked into playing against some of the easier players in the open tournament.

I'm not sure how he decides which table the players play on. I played on table 2 in all 3 tournaments. He probably wanted to see how I play. It really doesn't matter to me. I'm thinking it might have something to do with me being the first to pay for the tournament the last 3 weeks. I think he uses numbered balls to pick opponents. And several players get a by in the first round. Because there are 32 spots and there have only been 20 plus players each tournament. I think a by would be useless to me now. I need the playing time. I definitely shoud have been able to beat the 5 last Mon. Even though I wasn't shooting any good, I still should have been able to out position him or out think him. In that last game when he missed I made 1 or 2 table length shots. But I didn't get any draw. I was saying to myself now is the time to start shooting. So I shot them to just stop the ball. I make a higher percentage of long shots that way compared to when I stroke faster, trying to draw. Then I made a long slight cut shot. That left me with the 9 ball about 1 ball's width off the long rail, towards the head of the table, near the first dot or diamond. And the cue ended in the middle of the table lined up with the nine, also about 1 diamond from the head. The best shot was an easy cross corner. Fairly quickly I took the shot. I used enough speed to make it. But not too much, so it would drop instead of bobble in the pocket if it was off a little. But it was off just enough to not fall and it hung. Despite this I feel maybe I'm ready to start shooting.

cheesemouse
06-12-2002, 05:19 AM
Eddie,
I think your getting out there and playing is great for you and your game, keep at it and you will find your game then improve on it. Your making good moves. Wanting to stay a 5 is a good sign of your heart buddy.

06-12-2002, 03:10 PM
Yes, Eddie, it is a good sign of heart, but sooner or later even hearts start to pay attention to reality. So if your losing streak continues may I humbly suggest that you take the lower spot? Don't worry, they'll be raising you back up in no time! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif And you might even grouse about it a little (just to fit in with 'the guys' of course) And I'm so happy for and proud of you!! I think it's great that you want to play, and don't worry, those tournament nerves will disappear in no time! They always do- for the great ones like all of us!

Karatemom
06-12-2002, 05:37 PM
Hi Eddie. Don't look too far into it. After all, you're just getting back into it after how long? Right? I, unfortunately, have had the same problem lately. I have gotten in two 9 ball tourneys as a 3 and haven't won one yet. I did win one match though. I went 2 and out last Monday and got real down on myself. But C.C. has helped me out. I find that I am tightening up on the cue when I shouldn't be, also that I need some kind of rhythm or pre-shot routine. Also, I still get nervous on tourney night. Chris plays some Zombie for me and gets me a drink, and that seems to settle me a little (a little too much). This has helped quite a bit. I practiced for a while today and noticed all of it. It will take time, but I know you will get where you want to be, just like I will.
If I was you, I would not ask him to keep you at a 5. If he wants to lower you, take it. You do show how much heart you have, but, at the same time, it might be good to get lowered. It doesn't mean that you're a worse player than you are at 5, but it gives you a chance, that's all. It's just a number.
Good luck, stay calm, and have fun!

Heide

Rod
06-12-2002, 06:31 PM
I kind of felt the same way Heide. If the TD wants to lower Eddie, then I think he should go for it. For all the reasons you mentioned. The TD or owner sure has the knowledge to know how to rate players. Eddie in your first tournament or two all TD's evaluate your rating. I'm sure he was just trying it make it fair for you. He will raise you in time when you run off with the dough! If most people were over rated and couldn't win, then he'd lose players and have a poor turn out for the tournament.

06-12-2002, 06:51 PM
you know it seems funny to me that no matter what the handicaps seem to be the best players are still almost always the ones that are left standing for the dough.... I dont know how your handicap system works so im not too sure where i woud fall into but I was giving a girl the wild 6,7,8 in a race to 3 first game i break leave her a combo on a wild ball she wins.... 2nd game she breaks makes one ball then a combo to win 3rd game she breaks leaves herself a 2-8 combo and managed to miss it somehow... i ran that rack broke and ran the next and got an 9 ball in the last game..... just sayng it seems no matter what the rating is lesser players will still find ways to lose and better players will still find ways to win... it brings the players closer but it is far from even

Rod
06-12-2002, 07:00 PM
Quote DT, just sayng it seems no matter what the rating is lesser players will still find ways to lose and better players will still find ways to win... it brings the players closer but it is far from even.

Yes in most cases that proves to be correct.

Retardo
06-12-2002, 07:07 PM
Yes that is true from my experience-no matter what the handicap, the A class and above players seem to win most of the time. And they also seem to do most of the crying.

Typical

"oh man i cant believe i had to give that guy the 5 and two games on the wire"

"really? How did you do"

"I won 7-4 but still...."

06-12-2002, 09:54 PM
I completely agree that the better players usually have an advantage in our tournaments. In our tournaments no one gets spotted any balls. You have to win a number of games equal to your handicap. So I have to win 5 games. If he lowered me to a 4 1/2, I would only have to win 4 games in the early rounds. And I think I might have to win 5 games if I reach the money or the last 4 players. I think the 1/2 gets rounded down in the early two rounds and rounded up in the last two rounds. I'm not sure about that.

I first watched the 7 & under tournament two weeks ago. The person that won was a 7. After his win he couldn't play in the 7 & under anymore. I think you get raised 1 point if you win the tournament and 1/2 point in you place in the money or in the top 4 finishers. And that 1st tournament had the 4 top handicaps in the last 4 players. And of the 3 tournaments I played in, the last 4 spots are usually filled by the higher handicaps which are the better players.

06-12-2002, 10:12 PM
I think almost everyone else would like to get their handicap lowered. And everyone seems to want to win. Even the lowest handicapped players, which is a 3. The first week I watched the 7 & under. A 3 was playing a 6 or 6 1/2. Somehow he won the 1st game. Then he went up 2-1 when his opponet left him a dead on combination on the 9. And he lost 2-6.

I believe handicaps are only designed to give the weaker player part of the difference between the two players. In bowling this was fairly easy. Say a 200 average playes a 150 average. The handicap is usually set up to give bowlers 70% of the difference between their average and 200. So the 200 would usually get 0. And the 150 would usually 35. 70% of 50 is 35. So in bowling the higher bowler could bowl 25% below his average and expect to have a really close game against a lower ranked bowler. So a if the 200 ave. bowled 25% below his average or 150, the lower 150 ave. would still have to bowl above ave to win. But it doesn't seem to work that way in the pool tournaments around here. Or maybe it does and I just haven't noticed it yet.

06-13-2002, 01:26 AM
In BC here we have a system that goes like this (John Horsefall started this system here)
D,D+,C,C+,B,B+,A,A+,Pro,Pro+
if someone is one level behind they get the last two.. if someone is 2 levels behind they get the wild 8...etc
John Horsefall is of course a Pro + but there have been a few others in that category here Alain Boutain being one of them.. well after a while they figured that Alain still wasnt winning the tournies because he still couldnt beat John Horsefall and John was winning almost all of the tournies... so instead of making a new category for himself (pro++) John put Alain down to a Pro which made him the class of that division. I think that the best players dont want to make a system that is truly fair... they just want a system that appears fair so they dont take so much flack when they win all the cash.... anyone in agreement?

06-15-2002, 09:27 AM
Eddie... I agree that you should go along with the TD and accept the lower handicap until you find your own level. Being more competative in the match will likely strengthen your overall playing attitude and that can go a long way towards improving your game. I'm wondering though about your handicap system. I'm familiar with even numbered handicapping and playing races to your handicap but don't understand how the 1/2 numbers factor in? thanks... Bob

06-15-2002, 05:07 PM
Here's what I was told about the 1/2 factor. You round the number down in the early rounds. So if I let him lower me to a 4 1/2 I would only need to win 4 games in the early matches. In the 7 & under tournament I think the first 4 finishers are in the money. So if I lasted until those rounds I would be rounded up to a 5 in them. And in the open handicap tournament I think 1 week they paid 8 and the next week they only paid 4 because there were less entrants. I remember looking at the sheet and thinking 8 was too many players to pay out of less then 30 players. Some of the players that got a by in the first match won their second round which was really only their first opponent. And for just beating 1 opponet they were guraranteed to get $25 back for only a $20 entry fee. They owner/director adds $200 out of his pocket each week. I don't see how he makes that back. It looks like he does it to get more good players into the tournament. I think people like him are good for pool. And in the 7 & under tournament he has a hot shot each week. This past Thur he picked 3 names. The other weeks he picked 2 names. And he racks the 9 balls and each of the ones picked get a chance to win the money. He has added between $15 and $20 each week since I started playing. I'm not sure if it comes from his pocket or from the entries. This last week two of the shooters had the 9 balls rolling towards a corner pocket. One was the 5 handicap that beat me the week before. Later I heard the owner saying that table 2 has a hole or somethimg. He said they looked like they were racked tight. But the way the 9 ball took off for all 3 shooters shows they weren't racked correctly. Then I heard one of the kids that works part time say that's what happened when I racked before and so & so won the hot shot. The other weeks they always had the hot shot on table 1.

06-17-2002, 10:04 PM
Thanks Eddie... perhaps I can work some aspect of that sort of system into our tournaments up this way. Some type of handicapping certainly seems necessary for everyone to feel they have a chance to win and also improve the turnouts for tournaments. That's become somewhat of a problem around here with no handicapp in place the same people always seem to clearly dominate so turnouts have really dropped off. Sounds to be a pretty good place where you play and it's definitely also a plus for the game when the owner tosses a little extra into the pot. I feel it's the smart owners that do that and they are eventually rewarded by more loyal customers down the line.

I actually grew up in the Chicago area (south west burbs) loooong time ago. Now I'm in Ontario Canada but still try to make it down there every few years to visit family. Good luck in your tournaments... you seem to have a good attitude... we all gotta pay some dues but keep at it and things eventually start to come around. ...Bob