PDA

View Full Version : Is this Cheating??

A_LOTA_NOTA
06-13-2005, 11:45 AM
Has anyone ever used an "EZ Bridge"?

I was playing in an APA tournament this weekend & noticed a guy on another team using the "EZ Bridge". This thing looked awesome & would make those long stretch shots a lot easier. It looked so easy that it almost looked like cheating to me. Anyway, just wanted to see what everyone else thought!

Jude_Rosenstock
06-13-2005, 12:50 PM
This is actually a very interesting question. I think mechanical bridges and bridge-like devices seem to be a rare debate. For those of you that are unfamiliar with this device, it's a set of training wheels one would attach to the shaft of a cue so that a separate bridge is unnecessary.

It says it's BCA sanctioned and the APA has no rule outlawing its use. Technically, it falls under the definition of appropriate equipment since it supports the shaft of your cue and nothing more even though there is no bridge handle.

Personally, I haven't seen it used yet and I'd be curious to see how something like this might be handled in snooker (a game that relies heavily on bridges). I can imagine a number of players frowning upon using such a device since it requires that the area directly in front of the cue-ball is clear (which is frequently not the case when using a bridge).

In sum, it's legal and since this is the first I've heard of it (or seen it), I can't imagine this ever becoming an issue.

9 Ball Girl
06-13-2005, 12:57 PM
http://www.pooldawg.com/shop/files/product_images/d_1702.jpg

SpiderMan
06-13-2005, 12:58 PM
I didn't find it particularly useful, compared to a more typical mechanical bridge. Because of the wheels, it can't be used when there are any other balls that interfere with it's path (such as when trying to bridge over interference).

SpiderMan

Megalodon
06-13-2005, 02:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> I didn't find it particularly useful, compared to a more typical mechanical bridge. Because of the wheels, it can't be used when there are any other balls that interfere with it's path (such as when trying to bridge over interference).

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

good point!

Sid_Vicious
06-13-2005, 06:41 PM
I am beginning to feel that attachments and extra "helpers" might be getting kind of cluttering to the basics of the game of billiards. Where will it end? Legal??? Yea, I imagine it is, but is it a good trend? Hell I'll need a caddy if this keeps it up...sid

9 Ball Girl
06-13-2005, 07:32 PM
I agree with you Sid. I mean, no one used all of the stuff we used now back in the 50s and 60s and further back and champions were around back then too.

Qtec
06-13-2005, 10:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Technically, it falls under the definition of appropriate equipment since it supports the shaft of your cue and nothing more even though there is no bridge handle.
<hr /></blockquote>

I would say that it does more than 'support' the cue. With the wheels, which I would say are an 'attachment', it seems to me that it 'guides' the cue. If this is legal, whats to stop anyone from adding more sets of wheels?
Where does it say in the rules that a cue can have wheels?

Qtec.........no way thats legal!

nhp
06-13-2005, 11:21 PM
It seems to me that this device would assist in keeping the cue going straighter. IMO I think all of these inventions are getting a bit out of hand. I sometimes practice using the rake, I think others should do the same.

Vagabond
06-14-2005, 02:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> I didn't find it particularly useful, compared to a more typical mechanical bridge. Because of the wheels, it can't be used when there are any other balls that interfere with it's path (such as when trying to bridge over interference).

Hi Spiderman,
U look like a very tall guy and why do u need a bridge?
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Rich R.
06-14-2005, 02:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>Where does it say in the rules that a cue can have wheels? <hr /></blockquote>
On the other hand, where does it say in the rules that a cue CAN NOT have wheels?

SpiderMan
06-14-2005, 07:03 AM
Usually I don't need one, particularly on 7' and 8' tables, but on nines I can't reach everything.

And I'm sort of picky about taking care of my cue, so if I have to use one of the junky metal bridge heads I'll also use a Wallabushka stick for that shot.

SpiderMan

Billy_Bob
06-14-2005, 08:38 AM
I would not consider it cheating. Chances are the player using a mechanical bridge or this wheel device would not have practiced using it very much and would likely miss their shot.

When another player brings out the mechanical bridge, I chalk up, because I know I will get a turn at the table!

BTW the way to learn to use these gizmos is to shoot entire games with them about once a week. At first you learn how to line up the shots, then advanced is to make your shot and also leave good position for your next shot.

smoothstroke
06-14-2005, 11:03 AM
I have a wheelchair player on my team that really needs this kind of device, it is a real benifit to his ability to shoot some shots way down the table.I got him one last year and he gets a lot of use from it

Ralph S.
06-14-2005, 11:11 AM
Use of a device like this is kind of a grey area in my opinion. The rules say that it is not illegal. I personally would not use one. A point that has not been mentioned yet, is that this type of device is most likely to be used by players that are in wheel chairs and/or have some type of physical impairment like a lost limb. I have a friend that is in a chair and shoots pretty damned good. He does use an altered version of standard bridge, as many of these players will use and need to use them. If you feel you need it, then use it.

Jude_Rosenstock
06-15-2005, 11:10 AM
I thought about this quite a bit. I knew from the beginning I didn't like it but couldn't quite phrase why.

WHY I DON'T LIKE IT has to do with the fundamental way I believe the game should be played. The fact is, pool has been using the same (or similar) equipment for the past 100 years. I think ANY change should be scrutinized. Bridges, cues and triangles may not be the best things out there for the game BUT they are the game's defined elements. They're what we're confined to. I don't think it's a huge change to have unusally shaped bridge heads. I do think it's a big change when you take the bridge entirely out of the equation by adding wheels. Everything is suddenly different.

As I stated earlier and was reiterated in another reply, I don't think players are going to take to it because it requires a clear path. I don't like it because it no longer looks like the same game to me.

theinel
06-15-2005, 03:13 PM
As mentioned it is BCA sanctioned but it still strikes me as wrong. I can't distinctly say why but it's one of those "I know it when I see it" things. I think it's the wheels that make me uncomfortable.

Ives
06-16-2005, 07:16 AM
so what is the advantage of using this other than for the wheel chair bound players, which i am all for. Looks like you get one option for bridge height where a standard bridge gives you many different choices.