PDA

View Full Version : John Kling

cueball1950
06-13-2005, 05:43 PM
I was just watching the Antiques Roadshow on pbs. The gentleman had a long picture of the 1908 chicago cubs. they talked about tinker to evers to chance among other people. btw, johnny evers is from schenectady ny. only a couple of miles from me. he also owned a sporting goods store.
anyway, they were talking about the catcher,he was an all star catcher of his time. his name was John Kling and the fact that he quit baseball in 1910 "AFTER WINNING THE WORLDS POCKET BILLIARDS CHAMPIONSHIP"
imagine that. quitting a successful pro baseball team to play professional pocket billiards. does anyone on here know anything else about him? just thought that it was a unique story about both sports.....mike

Barbara
06-13-2005, 05:56 PM
Mike!

I just saw that, too! Wowzaa!! John Kling. How about that!

Barbara

Regulator
06-13-2005, 07:03 PM
Back in 1910, great baseball players were making $2,000 to $5,000 per season. Honus Wagner was paid $10,000 and he was just about the top paid.

Many salaries doubled during the 1912-1915 Federal League competition, but keep in mind that players were "owned" by their teams and they couldn't change teams within the NL and AL.

The average man on the street earned $3 per day and tickets were $0.50.

My point is that this guy probably made $4,000 a year playing ball and if he was a great pool player back then, he could easily do better in pool than the crappy conditions in baseball. Even if the money was slightly less, I'd shoot pool - baseball was a tough job back then.

cueball1950
06-13-2005, 09:05 PM
I agree with you regulator on the conditions in baseball back then. they were horrible to say the least. especially with the travelling. this man had to be making good money, like you said, with the cubs. He was an all star player (catcher) and on the best team in baseball of the times. They has won 3 world series ,this team, together and 1908 was the last one they won. they have never won 1 since. But to quit a game like that for pool. I dunno, maybe you are right and that he was just tired of all the travelling and the playing in the rain and the general conditions of the time................mike

DickLeonard
06-14-2005, 06:41 AM
Mike back in the 1910/20s Pool was King there was 5,000 poolrooms in NYC alone. Ralph Greenleaf made what Babe Ruth made putting on demonstrations in Vaudville on Broadway etc.

John Kling had a Brunswick pooltable named after him. The Kling was an upgrade from the Arcade model, among poolplayers the best two tables Brunswick ever made. Mike if you have ever been to Holmes and Watson's in Downtown Troy, their back bar was made by Brunswick using Sarkasion Walnut the same wood used to build the Kling. Big Charlie's first table was an Arcade model.####