PDA

View Full Version : Oh no - Degenerative Disc!

Thunderduck
06-15-2005, 12:57 AM
Saw the back doctor today... as many of you know, I've had trouble recently with pain when I shoot... doc said that even though Im in my 30s, that my discs are degenerative... he says everytime I bend Im causing my discs to wear out... what should I do? Time to quit this wonderful game and take up chess? Any advice?

Depressed Duck

Rich R.
06-15-2005, 02:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Thunderduck:</font><hr> Saw the back doctor today... as many of you know, I've had trouble recently with pain when I shoot... doc said that even though Im in my 30s, that my discs are degenerative... he says everytime I bend Im causing my discs to wear out... what should I do? Time to quit this wonderful game and take up chess? Any advice?
<hr /></blockquote>
I've had degenerative disc desease for quite some time.
Assuming that your doctor has sent you to a physical therapist, be sure to do your daily stretching exercises. They do help.
I consider playing pool an extention of those stretching exercises and I definitely feel better in the morning, if I have played the night before.
Of course, your condition may be different from mine. We are all individuals, when it comes to our physical make up.

Ives
06-15-2005, 12:16 PM
I also have some back problems ( both lower discs blown out, thought i was superman as a kid ) but for me my back starts to hurt more the longer i play. I asked my doc and was told the bending wasn't so much the problem as the holding myself in position while im stroking. I'm exerting alot of strain on my back holding myself in the exact same position every time I bend down at the table. Ive been doing some yoga lately which has really helped. The best advice i can give is follow docs orders. They usually know what there about. If you go to therapy, tell your thereapist you play pool and maybe they can help you out. Good Luck.

Drop1
06-15-2005, 12:19 PM
Thunderduck,
Everyone starts wearing out in their thirties. Thats the trouble with old people,they wear out,and start talking about it. There are treatments,and exercises,that can help,also changing Doctors can help.Tell me Ducky where does it hurt,that is to say,which disks are involved. What studies were done,do you have a big belly. You know the good old Black Widow says she can only practice a half hour a day because of pain. Bottom line give up the game? No way.
Pain is a challenge.

Brian in VA
06-15-2005, 02:29 PM
I've had two degenerative discs in my lower back for nearly 10 years. After getting a good exercise regime from my doctor and keeping a healthy back (lifting with the legs, not lifting anything too heavy, wearing a back brace when working in the yard, keeping taut stomach muscles through exercise) I've gotten to the point where I'm nearly pain free for months at a time. I also got an inversion table 2 years ago. I hang upside down 3 times a week for about 20 minutes and let gravity work in my favor. It's certainly not a cure but it makes it much easier to live with. You have to be disciplined to do the exercise.

Brian in VA

Rod
06-15-2005, 05:49 PM
Almost everybody has the same problem once you get a little older, whether they know it or not. Don't worry about it, find a set of exercises that strengthen your back and stomach. Stretching the right parts really helps too. It won't get any better but you can make it better with exercise. Your choice, either now or ---. Stretching my hamstrings is one of the best exercises I do for my lower back. I had lower back surgery about 6 years ago and I'm fine, unless I don't exercise. LOL

Rod

Thunderduck
06-16-2005, 01:09 AM
Thanks for the encouragement... I will definitely take this stuff seriously about the stretching and exercises... I still find it hard to accept that shooting pool 6 hours a week could damage my discs... its not like I bend to pick up a 100 pound weight...

I might try totally bending from the knees, any of you tried that?

God bless,

Duck

Thunderduck
06-16-2005, 01:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> Thunderduck,
Everyone starts wearing out in their thirties. Thats the trouble with old people,they wear out,and start talking about it. There are treatments,and exercises,that can help,also changing Doctors can help.Tell me Ducky where does it hurt,that is to say,which disks are involved. What studies were done,do you have a big belly. You know the good old Black Widow says she can only practice a half hour a day because of pain. Bottom line give up the game? No way.
Pain is a challenge. <hr /></blockquote>

It hurts in the sacrum area, the lower spine, and my rear... my belly is average size... yes, Jeanette has guts, I guess that makes me a cry baby /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif