PDA

View Full Version : Please help me identify this cue

Plummerbutt
06-15-2005, 02:25 AM
I need so help here folks. I won this cue on a raffle in 1990. It was new unused.

It is a McDermott cue and from what I believe is the "D" series of cues. However, there is a difference in this cue and the "D" series. I have compared it, in person, side by side, to several "D" cues, this is different.

I have looked in one "blue book", there is a similiar cue, but not the same. The design on the butt is different then anything listed.

I have also looked at all the cues listed on the McDermott web site, again, similiar but quite different.

You really need to look at the butt design as this is where the difference lies.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid173/p69290a1211d9070b68ea74ebb0af05c5/f3b0ea81.jpg
Anyone able to help out? What about a value. Cue is in excellent condition with only a few very minor "playing" marks.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid173/p936f2351d4b6eb40458886e39eda6d6f/f3b0ea80.jpg

Thanks. PB

Pied Piper
06-15-2005, 04:21 AM
Sorry Don't know the cue. But it's a purdy one. I like the color of the wrap. Have you tried contacting McDermott?

Popcorn
06-15-2005, 07:15 AM
It's a McDermott. I used to sell McDermott cues and you could order the cues with sort of a mix and match of designs and stains from different cues. It would not be unusal to see a McDermott cue that does not match any catalog

sneakypapi
06-15-2005, 07:25 AM
As Spiderman said MsDermott's can be somewhat custom ordered like Viking. There is a chance that this cue was made just for a raffle? Anyway, you might have a 1 of a kind on your hands, but since it is a production cue the value is subjective.

Ace
06-15-2005, 09:13 AM
I am the owner of ACE HIGH BILLIARDS, a cue stick dealership in Longview, Tx. Some times, makers of any production cue will make one off cues for there better dealers. If you look at Muellers Catalog, you can find McDermott cues not sold out of a McDermott Catalog. Just so Muellers can sell a one of a kind cue. The value would be no more than a cue that is similar to it ($280 - $320 Retail)

Plummerbutt
06-15-2005, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. Yes, I have emailed these pics to McDermott, I am awaiting their reply.

If someone was going to order a custom designed production stick, I can understand the color, but wouldn't they want the design to be so different that it would stand out, at least be noticable? This cue does not have that. It's differences from the "D" sticks are very subtle and hardly noticable at all.

You guys have really sparked my curiosity now.
I've even gotten an offer to sell since starting this post. Didn't offer enough to spark my interest though.

Hopefully McD will answer all I'm looking for.

Regulator
06-15-2005, 10:58 PM
McDermott does quite a bit of customization.

I have a newly finished with old wood cue from them. D-26 butt, black leather wrap, red forearm and white joint. This one and few others were ordered by Bill Grassley of Cornerstone. Hot looking semi-custom for not much money.

Fred Agnir
06-16-2005, 06:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Plummerbutt:</font><hr> I need so help here folks. I won this cue on a raffle in 1990. It was new unused.
<hr /></blockquote>IMO, there is nothing special about this McDermott, other than there's no clover leaf. Are you sure it's a McDermott? If it's not a McDermott, then it's a McDermott knock-off. LOL!

So, I'd say it's worth about $100 to a McDermott junkie.

Fred &lt;~~~ IMO, of course.

Popcorn
06-16-2005, 07:20 AM
You think you are right, if the logo isn't there it may just be an import. That logo is in there pretty deep, it would take some effort to remove it, and why would anyone want to. He says it was new when he got it so it probably isn't a McDermott based what he says.

sneakypapi
06-16-2005, 08:10 AM
You guys are so skeptical, LOL. Maybe he did not take photos of the emblem or simply the cue needs to be to flipped around?

Popcorn
06-16-2005, 08:56 AM
I am assuming it doesn't have a logo from the way he asked the question and he was just told it was a McDermott. At the trade shows the importers are there with cues that are copies of other cues and they could care less. Some exact copies except for the obvious quality differences. It is not being skeptical, it is very common.

Plummerbutt
06-16-2005, 10:22 AM
Guys, guys, guys! Its a McDermott.., and the logo is there in all its green glory deeply stamped into the butt. Don't just assume that someone is an idiot. I do not appreciate it or deserve it.

I didn't tale a picture of the side that had the flipping logo on it! Simple as that!

No its not a knock-off and no its not a cheap import! Its a damn McDermott.

Fred Agnir
06-16-2005, 10:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Plummerbutt:</font><hr> Guys, guys, guys! Its a McDermott.., and the logo is there in all its green glory deeply stamped into the butt. Don't just assume that someone is an idiot. I do not appreciate it or deserve it. <hr /></blockquote>Easy there. With a thread title like "Please help me identify this cue," I think its fair that some of us would assume that you may not know what you have given that we don't see a McDermott Logo.

And again, for its worth, as far as I can see there's nothing special about it that would even raise an eye except to an extreme McDermott fan.

Fred

Popcorn
06-16-2005, 10:31 AM
I just was looking at A McDermott brochure for the D series and the cue is a D-8. The different color from the picture in the brochure makes no difference. In the front of the brochure you can order the cues with one of many stains at no extra charge as well as have inlays added and so on. In the brochure there are two unstained maple rings in the cue. On yours they are there but have stain applied. The cue is a McDermott it is a Mod D-8 with the staining the customer ordered. I could post the picture if you would like. When I sold McDermott cues I ordered them all kinds of ways.

tateuts
06-16-2005, 12:22 PM
McDermott is one of the few companies to publish archives of their older cues. Here's a pretty good page to go to as a reference on the D series:

http://www.mcdermottcue.com/PAGES/Time%20Capsule/D%20Series/D%20Series.htm

The "D" was a popular series made in the 1980's.

Chris