PDA

View Full Version : How I ran "3 friggin' balls" to win a game

Billy_Bob
06-15-2005, 08:58 AM
Game 9-ball. The table had the 7, 8, and 9 left. I got ball-in-hand at this point.

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/

START(
%G[5K1%HR1D9%Ir2K0%P[9O9%QZ9F9%R\5O5%SV4C7%Tq7T1%WX2E4%XZ9J7
%YD3H5%ZQ8E3%]r1S5%^C1I2
)END

First, I looked at the 8, and then at the 9. I asked myself; "how am I going to hit the 8 so I can get the cue ball back to the other end of the table?" I realized that my best option would be to leave the cue ball near the rail after hitting the 7, so I could hit the 8 at an angle, use a lot of follow and firm stroke so the cue ball would follow to the rail, then bounce back to the other end of the table.

Using Dr. Dave's 30 degree rule, I lined up where I needed the cue ball to be to hit the 8 so I would get the right angle to get back to the other end of the table.

I am standing there flashing the "peace sign" all over the table and everyone is looking at me weird...

Next I considered placing the cue ball at "A" and drawing it back. But from practicing hitting similar shots and "trying" to get the OB to go in the side *and* get the CB to draw back into the other side, I knew I would very likely scratch with a draw shot.

So I decided to place the cue ball at B, use a slight angle, and hit with follow to get the cue ball to go where I wanted.

Using Dr. Dave's 30 degree rule, I placed the cue ball to hit the 7 so the cue ball would follow at a 30 degree angle and go to where I wanted it to stop.

Again more "peace sign" flashing and weird looks...

From practicing follow shots (I regularly practice getting the cue ball to follow 1 diamond, 2 diamonds, 3, 4, etc.), I knew exactly how hard to hit the cue ball so it would stop at "C". (Speed control)

OK, cue ball stops exactly where I wanted it at "C". I now have an angled shot on the 8. Next I shoot with follow just hard enough so the cue ball will hit the rail, then bounce back and stop near the opposite rail, giving me a shot on the 9.

Shooting lag shots (to determine who breaks) has taught me the correct speed to use for table length shots.

I shoot the 8 into the pocket with follow and just enough speed so the cue ball hits the rail, then bounces back to stop at "D". (This was a tournament and everybody watching stands there looking with their mouths hanging open [amazed that the cue ball got back to that side and stopped in a perfect location].)

I did not use any english for these shots.

I walk around to shoot in the 9 as if I do this kind of shooting all the time! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well I don't do this all the time or have not been able to do this in the past. It has taken me two years and a lot of learning/practice to be able to do this.

Anyway you folks have helped me a *lot*. This game is really starting to get interesting now that I have "steering" on where the cue ball will go after each shot. It is very difficult to make a shot *and* get the cue ball to go where I want.

But it sure has helped me to know the "shot fundamentals" as to how I can hit the cue ball and know what direction it will go. Also to know that I have options on how to hit the shot to get the cue ball to go different directions.

Thanks everyone!

Cueless Joey
06-15-2005, 09:03 AM
I'd have playee the 8 this way.
Just a center punch and go side to side for the 9.
I wouldn't have to judge speed as critically as your shot.
START(
%HR1D9%Ir2K0%P[6K2%QZ9F9%R\5O5%Tq7T1%WT2E5%XZ9J7%YD3D2%ZQ8E3
%]j2Z5%^T2C8
)END

Jude_Rosenstock
06-15-2005, 10:46 AM
Yes, Cueless Joey's approach is the traditional way of attaining position on the 9. This is actually a routine out but still needs to be handled with care. The problem with following is that you need to fall near perfectly on the 8-ball. If the angle is too sharp, you'll never follow enough to get back up table. If it's too straight, you might not have enough punch off the rail to gain position. Also, several pockets are in play and scratching will be inevitable if this is the way you intend to approach this shot each time.

Cueless Joey's approach takes all scratches out of play. What's more, it requires less speed so there's less of a chance you'll miss. Also, you're going into the angle. There's a huge margin for error.

Just food for thought. Good luck.

Ives
06-15-2005, 11:09 AM
Hey Billy Bob, thanks for sharing your story, it is a good feeling to plan a runout for a win and have things work the way they should. It's what makes this game so much fun, not just stepping up and banging balls but deliberate planning and executuion. Congrats

Popcorn
06-15-2005, 11:19 AM
With all due respect, you may have picked the hardest way to run the three balls. Both your position choices leave little room for error.

Fred Agnir
06-15-2005, 11:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> Game 9-ball. The table had the 7, 8, and 9 left. I got ball-in-hand at this point.

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/

START(
%G[5K1%HR1D9%Ir2K0%P[9O9%QZ9F9%R\5O5%SV4C7%Tq7T1%WX2E4%XZ9J7
%YD3H5%ZQ8E3%]r1S5%^C1I2
)END
<hr /></blockquote> By chance, are you left-handed? Looks like you're playing for the left-hander's side.

I'm glad you got out, but it wouldn't be my first or even second choice in patterns.

Fred

Billy_Bob
06-15-2005, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the tips everyone! I'm still having quite a bit of trouble hitting balls just off the rail and figuring out where the cue ball will go.

But I have all the "ingredients" to learn how to do this, just need to put them all together.

It is sort of like learning how to walk. I now know what I am supposed to do, know how to do each element, but putting everything together and making it work can be frustrating.

With the above "less risky" run-out, I would tend to want to use right english (wrong) and would probably hit too hard and the cue ball would wind up to the side of the 9 rather than lined up for a cut into the corner pocket.

I guess I'm learning how to bounce the cue ball off of one rail, but can't yet comprehend (or think about in advance) the cue ball hitting two rails.

Actually now that I think about it, that is exactly what I am doing. I guess I have a "one rail mind" at this point...

Billy_Bob
06-15-2005, 11:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> By chance, are you left-handed? ...<hr /></blockquote>

Right handed, but can shoot left handed due to my practicing this (not very good though).

Popcorn
06-15-2005, 12:08 PM
You want to pick ways to run out when you can that leave room for errors if things don't go exactly right. Your choice requires everything to be almost perfect that's what is wrong with the choice. There is a thing called crossing angles which means you are rolling for position and need the cueball to stop in a very small area to have the shot you want. When the cue ball is rolling in the direction of the next ball along the same plain you will be shooting, or close to it, you can stop most anywhere along it and not be in trouble. Position play can be a personal choice, but if you follow certain rules of thumb it can just be a little easier. In the case of your shot, if you just shoot the 7 with stop and go from the 8 to the 9 using the side rail and draw, all you have to do is drop the cue ball near the corner pocket to have an easy shot on the 9. The speed is not even a problem since the cue ball will be hitting the second rail with reverse and just die there giving you position on the 9. It is almost fool proof.

bluey2king
06-15-2005, 12:26 PM
Just center punch would bring you into position? I would of thought a little low right would bring it right back across the table (on the 8 ball)for the 9.

bluey2king
06-15-2005, 12:29 PM
Good post Billy Bob!
I had to Laugh...knowing just what you mean about holding my peace sign out there sighting my shots!!! But hey I like to keep them guessing

Drop1
06-15-2005, 12:43 PM
Hey man be proud of running three balls. All the other elements are going to come your way [basics ] /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cueless Joey
06-15-2005, 01:41 PM
A little lower tip but no right-english imo.
I just miss that shot if I use any side spin.

wolfdancer
06-15-2005, 03:04 PM
Fred, don't leave us hanging....I confess though, i haven't looked at the pattern....but your out?????

Fred Agnir
06-15-2005, 06:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Fred, don't leave us hanging....I confess though, i haven't looked at the pattern....but your out????? <hr /></blockquote>

Oh, sorry. Same as Joey's. The 8 to the 9 is an absolute standard pattern that a player must have a good handle on to get any decent at this game.

Fred

aco76
06-16-2005, 03:25 AM
Stun the CB on the 7. Draw off the rail for the 9 shooting the 8. Real easy 9ball pattern which very few if any players would play differently. Using follow on the 8 is wrong because of too much CB travel and need for speed control. Players who prefer draw to follow would draw back from position C too.

BigRigTom
06-16-2005, 11:27 AM
Great post Billy_Bob and I noted that you say you did not use English to run these 3 friggin balls....that is great too. Almost all the more experienced 9 ball players will recommend using English and coming off that 8 to the side rail and across to opposite side rail to get the leave on the 9 (a slight angle so you can cut the 9 into the corner with no concern for scatching)

The big bad thing about the pattern you played is after making that 8 ball with strong follow you are sending the cue ball down table toward the corner pocket. That corner pocket is about an 8 inch target which you are certainly wanting to MISS...any error on that shot and you wind up losing the rack by scatching and giving your opponent ball in hand on the 9.

Important thing is "THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN!" You played it perfectly without error and got out, won the rack and did it your way! Congratulations!