PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever made their own tips?

cheese_ball
06-15-2005, 02:38 PM
Hey CCB!

I've started a new project... AGAIN! (Deeman, I WILL post pics of the case I'm working on soon, I promise!) I've never been extremely satisfied with any of the tips on the market, so I've tried making my own. Let me tell you, it's not easy! My first attempts were made with sow and CA. It was an interesting blend... the sow is VERY soft leather, but the CA soaked in making the tips very hard. This made for an inconsistency in the playing surface as the tip was shaped. You can imagine the ridges hard, soft, hard, soft (no this isn't a skin flick /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif) as you follow the radius on the crown of the tip. If I could figure out how to post pics on this board, I'd show all of you the results...

At any rate, I was reading that Moori uses an "animal glue." What type of glue would this be, and where would I obtain small enough amounts to experiment with? Any body out there know?

If you have ever attempted to make your own tips, please post what you attempted and the success (or failure) rate. Thanks again!

SpiderMan
06-15-2005, 03:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheese_ball:</font><hr> At any rate, I was reading that Moori uses an "animal glue." What type of glue would this be, and where would I obtain small enough amounts to experiment with? Any body out there know?<hr /></blockquote>

"Hide glue" is probably one of the earliest woodworking adhesives still in use (thousands of years and counting). That might be what was referred to as "animal glue". It should be available from many sources.

SpiderMan

Nostroke
06-15-2005, 06:42 PM
My buddy makes them out of shoes but that's about the extent of my knowledge on it.

Barbara
06-15-2005, 06:48 PM
So Nostroke, who's your buddy?

Just in case a tip should pop off both my shafts and I need a repair?

Okay, you don't have to answer, I'm just busting on ya.

Barbara

Popcorn
06-15-2005, 07:38 PM
"I've never been extremely satisfied with any of the tips on the market, "

Thats quite a statement, with all the different tips out there you can't find one you like? When I was about 12 years old I tried making a tip out of a super ball, I don't know why, just my nature I guess. Probably though I remember the super balls had a surface that was very tacky, it hurt if you rubbed it across your skin. I must have thought it would put english on the ball without chalk.

Nostroke
06-15-2005, 07:50 PM
He says he does it as he likes them better but he is in his 60's and still has his First Communion money so he may be doing it to save $2.00. There is now way he will ever read this as a computer is out of the question and he is a millionaire im sure.

DickLeonard
06-16-2005, 05:26 AM
I know your from the Philly area s I am going to give you Wiilie Hoppe's secret of always having a supply of good tips. When he played an exhibition he would ask the room owner if he minded if he hit balls with his house cues and if he found tips that he like could he take them off the cue. Of course how could you turn down Willie Hoppe.

Here is my secret for replacing tips. I would use a hot glue gun with no glue in the gun,I would cut a slice off of the glue stick, cut an x in the tip, put the slice on the tip, then use the gun to melt the glue then apply the tip to the ferrule. I found that the glue gun was to hard to control you would put to much glue on the tip and by the time you got the tip on the ferrule it was drying.[I always cleaned the ferrule with water and a rag. I never used one of those rotating sanders it only ruins the ferrule].

5 minutes later I was trimming the tip and you were ready to play.####

SpiderMan
06-16-2005, 07:43 AM
That technique also made the rounds of the Memphis poolrooms in the '70s. I guess that's when the hot-glue guns were becoming readily available. Most of the guys who did it there would "beat" on the tip immediately after installing - I guess they were trying to integrate the adhesive into the leather while it was still a little bit plastic.

When I started doing tips about 10-15 years ago, I remembered that technique and played with it a little, but concluded that the modern epoxies and super-glues worked much better. Hot melt was a reasonable alternative to the old tweeten's contact cement, though.

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
06-16-2005, 07:45 AM
Popcorn, I had the same thoughts when I first started playing pool. I was thinking of a rubber tip that you would use an alcohol swab to keep clean, rather than chalking. Never did try it, though. How did yours work?

SpiderMan

cheese_ball
06-16-2005, 02:26 PM
Thanks Spidey! I ran a search for "hide glue" and found tons of results... just what I was looking for. you've never steered me wrong!

cheese_ball
06-16-2005, 02:29 PM
Hey Pop... thanks for your comments as well... you always seem to have something intuitive to add to the conversation. I have never been 100% satisfied with any of the tips on the market... some do things better than others. I really like the Moori's, but they don't make one soft enough. I like to have more "soft touch" control. I play a lot of heavy english, and short, soft strokes to control the rock. It's not the way most play, though it has done very well for me. What ever happened with the rubber tip? Did it work at all???

Popcorn
06-16-2005, 03:49 PM
The super ball tip fell apart, crumbled, if I remember right. The thing with tips is you can modify the way a tip plays. Years ago you would see the guys in the pool room roll the tip on a file and tap it down till they liked it or hammer it with the file, it's a lost art. Most now think the tip should play perfect all the time and they don't even want to shape it. You can treat the tip with a little ammonia, it will firm up the tip instantly and make it play harder. I do it to LePro tips for the billiard players around here, they think I have some kind magic tips or something. You can do it to a tip right on the cue. Point is, it is hard to buy a tip and put it on and have it to be everything you want right away.