PDA

View Full Version : I have a dream......and it's finally coming true.!

tjlmbklr
06-15-2005, 08:16 PM
Allow me to introduce myself. Some of you may have seen my name a few times all ready on a few posts. I have loved pool for as long as Ican remember, I was a hotshot kid that did not know a thing about the game except it looked real cool to hit shots as hard as you can, because when they went in those pockets it looked pretty cool. Now I was of course missing 9 out of 10 at the time, but it still looked cool. My earliest recollection of holding a cue is from a picture of me in 1982. I was 6 years old, and no I am not going to claim to be one of those people that knew what he (or she) was doing at first try. But now 23 years later I am so addicted to this game it hurts. A few years ago I roomed with a some friends, and we had a table in the basement, not cozy, but it worked. This is when I started getting serious about my game. Then I moved, as well as my best friend who moved to Florida, a far cry from Wisconsin. I rented various places for many years, none able to accommodate a pool table. Then I finally decided it was time to take the plunge and buy a house. I told myself that I couldnít buy a house unless it will fit a table, any size. When I realized at the time the only way I could afford a house was to buy a duplex, and in my price range none were going to get me what I needed, and that was a table! After closing on my house and settling in (second floor) I realized after a few months that the attic would suit my needs. So I ever so kindly told my tenant to remove all of his things from the attic. I know what some are think why put a pool table in a attic, cold in winter, and VERY hot in summer, well if you haven't learned from my obsession yet you will know now that I am doing it right. One and a half years later I have the walls framed, electricity wired, plumbing ran for sink, space recessed in wall for fridge, and I have a contractor starting insulation Wednesday next week. All thatís left is Drywall, carpet and a little cosmetic. I all ready have the table; I had to buy it to add to the motivation to get it done. The anticipation is killing me, every time I am bored I can just go knock around a few balls, or should I say a few hundred....!I will definitely be posting pics. from start to finish so all can appreciated my hard work. http://www.avataravenue.com/account/tjlmbklr/mepool.jpg

PQQLK9
06-16-2005, 12:07 AM
Nice story, I am happy for you, keep us posted.

SPetty
06-16-2005, 08:22 AM
Cute pic, tjlmbklr!

Have you checked to make sure the attic floor is engineered to support the weight of a table? I don't think attic floors where I live are designed to carry that kind of load.

Otherwise, you might want to set up a motion detector operated camera on the second floor. That could be a helluva shot!

Barbara
06-16-2005, 09:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Cute pic, tjlmbklr!

Have you checked to make sure the attic floor is engineered to support the weight of a table? I don't think attic floors where I live are designed to carry that kind of load.

<hr /></blockquote>

The scene from "The Money Pit" where the bathtub falls through the bathroom floor onto the floor below it suddenly comes to mind. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Barbara

Popcorn
06-16-2005, 11:03 AM
I live in an old frame house built in the early 1900's. I got under the house and put trailer jacks under where the table is set up. I would worry about putting a table in an attic. I have heard it can be a problem even on the second floor in some houses. That is a lot of weight concentrated in one spot for an extended period of time unless there is a load bearing wall directly below it.

tjlmbklr
06-16-2005, 03:47 PM
I was worried about this too, and am still a little, but there is a load bearing wall going right done the center of the attic. It isn't the table that I am truely worried about. The weight of the drywall on the floor before it goes on the walls is a little scary.