PDA

View Full Version : You Know You Grew Up In The 80's If...

DebraLiStarr
06-16-2005, 10:47 AM
You Know You Grew Up In The 80's If...

1. You've ever ended a sentence with the word "PSYCHE".

2. You watched the Pound Puppies.

3. You can sing the rap to the "Fresh Prince of Belair " ...and can do the "Carlton".

4. Girls wore biker shorts under their skirts and felt stylishly sexy.

5. You yearned to be a member of the Baby-sitters club and tried to start a club of your own.

6. You owned those lil' Strawberry Shortcake pals scented dolls.

7. You know that "WOAH " comes from Joey on Blossom.

8. Two words: Hammer Pants.

9. If you ever watched "Fraggle Rock ".

10. You had plastic streamers on your handle bars... and "spokey-dokes" or playing cards on your spokes for that incredible sound effect.

11. You can sing the entire theme song to "Duck Tales". (Woo ooh!)

12. When it was actually worth getting up early on a Saturday to watch cartoons.

13. You wore a ponytail on the side of your head.

14. You saw the original "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles " on the big screen... and still know the turtles names.

15. You got super-excited when it was Oregon Trail day in computer class at school.

16. You made your mom buy one of those clips that would hold your shirt in a knot on the side.

17. You played the game "MASH ". (Mansion, Apartment, Shelter, House)

18. You wore stonewashed Jordache jean jackets and were proud of it.

19. L.A. Gear... need I say more.

20. You wanted to change your name to "JEM " in Kindergarten. (She's truly outrageous)

21. You remember reading "Tales of a fourth grade nothing " and all the Ramona books.

22. You know the profound meaning of "WAX ON, WAX OFF".

23. You wanted to be a Goonie.

24. You ever wore fluorescent clothing. (some of us... head-to-toe)

25. You can remember what Michael Jackson looked like before his nose fell off and his cheeks shifted.

26. You have ever pondered why Smurfette was the only female smurf.

27. You took lunch boxes to school... and traded Garbage Pail Kids in the schoolyard.

28. You remember the CRAZE, then the BANNING of slap bracelets.

29. You still get the urge to say "NOT " after every sentence.

30. You remember Hypercolor t-shirts.

31. Barbie and the Rockers was your favorite band.

32. You thought She-ra (Princess of Power!) and He-Man should hookup.

33. You thought your childhood friends would never leave because you exchanged handmade friendship bracelets.

34. You ever owned a pair of Jelly-Shoes. (and like #24, probably in neon colors, too)

35. After you saw Pee-Wee's Big Adventure you kept saying "I know you are, but what am I?"

36. You remember "I've fallen and I can't get up"

37. You remember going to the skating rink before there were inline skates.

38. You ever got seriously injured on a Slip and Slide.

39. You have ever played with a Skip-It.

40. You had or attended a birthday party at McDonalds.

41. You've gone through this nodding your head in agreement.

42. You remember Popples.

43. "Don't worry, be happy"

44. You wore like, EIGHT pairs of socks over tights with high top Reeboks.

45. You wore socks scrunched down (and sometimes still do...getting yelled at by "younger hip" members of the family)

46. "Miss MARY MACK MACK MACK, all dressed in BLACK BLACK BLACK "

47. You remember boom boxes. and walking around with one on your shoulder like you were all that.

48. You remember watching both "Gremlins" movies.

49. You know what it meant to say "Care Bear Stare!"

50. You remember watching "Rainbow Bright" and "My Little Pony Tales "

51. You thought Doogie Howser/Samantha Micelli was hot.

52. You remember Alf, the lil furry brown alien from Melmac.

53. You remember New Kids on the Block when they were cool... and don't even flinch when people refer to them as "NKOTB".

54. You knew all the characters names and their life stories on "Saved By the Bell ", the ORIGINAL class.

55. You know all the words to Bon Jovi - SHOT THROUGH THE HEART.

56. You just sang those words to yourself.

57.You remember watching Magic vs. Bird.

58. Homemade Levi shorts. (the shorter the better)

59. You remember when mullets were cool!

60. You had a mullet!

61. You still sing "We are the World"

62. You tight rolled your jeans.

63. You owned a bannana clip.

64. You remember "Where's the Beef?"

65. You used to (and probably still do) say "What you talkin' about Willis?"
(Landshark.. wasn't you what Willis be talkin 'bout?)

66. You had big hair and you knew how to use it.

67. You're still singing shot through the heart in your head,aren't you!

LARRY_BOY
06-16-2005, 11:15 AM
And Micheal Jackson was cool.......... /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

landshark77
06-16-2005, 11:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DebraLiStarr:</font><hr>

15. You got super-excited when it was Oregon Trail day in computer class at school.

<hr /></blockquote>

Holy Mary mother of God...you just described me to a T, however, I dunno what this above statement means. The only computers I remember were the Apple computers that used those HUGE floppys. But we didn't get to use them often, just like on library day. Hell the year I graduated high school the school had like one computer with internet access. This one dirty hippie would search the Greatful Dead and it would take 20 friggin' mins to load the page. I never got on the net until I was in College. LMAO!!

Anywho, as far as the slap bracelets go....I still talk about their ban, is that bad?? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

DebraLiStarr
06-16-2005, 12:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DebraLiStarr:</font><hr> You Know You Grew Up In The 80's If...

34. You ever owned a pair of Jelly-Shoes. (and like #24, probably in neon colors, too)

<hr /></blockquote>

Guilty as charged! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

pooltchr
06-16-2005, 01:18 PM
5 out of 67...well, thanks for making me feel old!!!! LOL
Heck, I remember MJ when he was a cute little boy with the Jackson 5!!
Roller skates, Wax on, Wax off, Where's the beef and I've fallen are the only ones that fit.....guess I was there in the 80's, just not part of it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Steve

Fred Agnir
06-16-2005, 01:58 PM
Samantha Micelli turned out pretty damned hot.

Fred &lt;~~~ Class of '85

Cueless Joey
06-16-2005, 02:25 PM
Hottest chick of the 80's was Phoebe Cates. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
OK, I'm partial.
Tia Carrere too.
Both have some Asian in them.

DebraLiStarr
06-16-2005, 02:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> Samantha Micelli turned out pretty damned hot.

Fred &lt;~~~ Class of '85 <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah.. those Eva Save-A-Lot commercials did wonders for her career.

http://www.uwe.peterson.claranet.de/private/moviefaces/actress/m/am_boss0502.jpg

<font color="blue">1-800-C-O-L-L-E-C-T !!! </font color>

http://www.spohnranch.com/images/collect/allisaimage.gif

<font color="blue"> Call me crazy.. but I think she wants you, Fred! </font color>

http://hotpinup.free.fr/albums/userpics/10003/normal_Alyssa%20MILANO%2019.jpg

dg-in-centralpa
06-16-2005, 03:05 PM
Sorry, I don't know most of these. I was in the class of '77. We had disco(ugh!), platform shoes, etc. God I hated that stuff. But we did have Charlie's Angels. Yeah...

DG - 60's cartoons were much better

Voodoo Daddy
06-16-2005, 03:57 PM
----------------------------------------

The only one I could associate with, thanks god I was a 70's kid. Ya know...

Post War Hippie decline
Leather clogs
Kiss/Led Zeppelin concert t-shirts
The Gremlin/Chevette/Pinto
The transformation from 8-tracks to cassettes.
The FONZ
Vinnie Barbarino, Anorld Horshack and Co.
Charlies Angels, SWAT and The Dukes of Hazzard
Ali-Frazier on ABC with Howard Cossell calling the action
Studio 54 and that whole puke inducing era known as Disco
The Boston Celtics
Mark Spitz &amp; Bruce Jenner
Reggie Jackson, Billy Martin and the NEW YORK YANKEES
Richard Nixon &amp; that whole Watergate deal
The TOXIC TWINS, Joe Perry/Steven Tyler...AEROSMITH
The death of The King, Elvis Aaron Presley

Ok, ran outta stuff cause around 1978, I found my moms script for Qualudes &lt;for pain from cancer surgery&gt; and the rest is pretty fuzzy until 1989, HAHAHAHAHA

landshark77
06-16-2005, 04:27 PM
http://hotpinup.free.fr/albums/userpics/10003/normal_Alyssa%20MILANO%2019.jpg <hr /></blockquote>

She needs to work on her grip. Seems she has dropped her jelly bean in her shirt. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

dg-in-centralpa
06-16-2005, 04:41 PM
Voodoo - I remember most of this. Geez I feel old. I dated a girl who had a pinto. I was afraid if we had an accident, we'd die. They were so small. Remember the AMC Pacer? It was like driving a fishbowl. They were ugly. I had plenty of 8 tracks and was glad when the cassette took over. It always changed tracks in the middle of a song.

DG

sack316
06-16-2005, 04:52 PM
dang, I didn't know I was old enough to get one of these yet!
But seriously I actually had Oregon Trail on my Apple IIe at home. And I also had a nice little mullet as a young man... and grew wnother one out that I just cut off like 2 weeks ago lol... I do landscaping now, it was too friggin hot!
But thanks for the memories and thanks for making me feel old now

PQQLK9
06-16-2005, 06:45 PM
10. You had plastic streamers on your handle bars... and "spokey-dokes" or playing cards on your spokes for that incredible sound effect.

Had the above on my Western Flyer in the 40's
http://velorution.blogspot.com/Western%20Flyer%201950.JPG

SPetty
06-16-2005, 06:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote landshark77:</font><hr> She needs to work on her grip. Seems she has dropped her jelly bean in her shirt. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif <hr /></blockquote>BWAAAHAAAHAHAHAHAHA! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Cane
06-16-2005, 07:54 PM
Well, I grew up in the 60's, so a lot of this is very confusing to me... Some of it did ring a bell, though...

4. Girls wore biker shorts under their skirts and felt stylishly sexy.
<font color="blue">Debra, I live in OKLAHOMA! Girls STILL dress like that here! </font color>

12. When it was actually worth getting up early on a Saturday to watch cartoons.
<font color="blue">Road Runner Rocks! Actually , I have Roadrunner and Foghorn Leghorn VHS tapes. </font color>

<font color="blue">I laughed at that, then realized I'm sitting here at the computer in a dayglo orange shirt and shorts... damn... </font color>

36. You remember "I've fallen and I can't get up"
<font color="blue">Remember it???? I did it this morning!!! </font color>

37. You remember going to the skating rink before there were inline skates.
<font color="blue">Last time I skated, if you fell you got splinters! </font color>

42. You remember Popples.
<font color="blue">No... Poppies maybe, but can't recall growing any popples... </font color>

46. "Miss MARY MACK MACK MACK, all dressed in BLACK BLACK BLACK "
<font color="blue">I do remember a hot little blonde named Mary... she used to work the corner by Billiard Palace, but at $200 bucks a night, I never saw her out of her black, black, black... </font color>

53. You remember New Kids on the Block when they were cool...
<font color="blue">The only New Kids On the Block I remember well are Dalton and Elizabeth... Moved to our neighborhood in 1963, and if you'd give Dalton your milk money, Liz would show you her boobs... Thinking back on what Liz looked like, I wish I'd spent my nickel on the milk!!! </font color>

55. You know all the words to Bon Jovi - SHOT THROUGH THE HEART.
<font color="blue">No, but I still walk around with the words to Knights in White Satin ringing in my head... </font color>

<font color="blue">They were AFTER Pistol Pete and Wilt the Stilt, right??? </font color>

58. Homemade Levi shorts. (the shorter the better)
<font color="blue">Again, STILL an Oklahoma thing! </font color>

60. You had a mullet!
<font color="blue">No, but I'll grow one as soon as hell freezes over... </font color>

63. You owned a bannana clip.
<font color="blue">Roach clip, yes... banana clip? what the hell is one??? </font color>

64. You remember "Where's the Beef?"
<font color="blue">hmmmm... sounds familiar, but "Where's the Reefer?", yeah, that one I remember. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Later,
Bob... going RIGHT NOW to take off my fluorescent orange shirt and shorts....

pooltchr
06-17-2005, 03:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> 63. You owned a bannana clip.
<font color="blue">Roach clip, yes... banana clip? what the hell is one??? </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

The cheap ones were the little electric aligator clips...if you had some extra cash, you may have had a nice pair of medical forceps!!! But the real die-hards had brownish stains on the end of their thumb and middle fingernails!!! After a couple, you couldn't feel it anyway! LOL
Steve

catscradle
06-17-2005, 05:16 AM
You know you're getting old when people change the decade of these "You know you grew up when ..." threads and it is after you grew up and all the things mentioned in the thread are not fond memories to you. My generation was "You know you grew up in the "50's/ 60's" when...". Things like:
You remember an phone operator saying "number please?".

pooltchr
06-17-2005, 06:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> You know you're getting old when people change the decade of these "You know you grew up when ..." threads and it is after you grew up and all the things mentioned in the thread are not fond memories to you. My generation was "You know you grew up in the "50's/ 60's" when...". Things like:
<hr /></blockquote>

or FOUR digit phone numbers!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

ryushen21
06-17-2005, 07:10 AM
I fall under entirely too many of those. And i'm only 21. And i'll always claim to be a kid of the 90's.

9 Ball Girl
06-17-2005, 09:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> "You know you grew up in the "50's/ 60's" when...". Things like:
<hr /></blockquote>You know, when I used to watch I Love Lucy and she or anyone else on the show would pick up the phone to make a call, I couldn't understand why she would say something like, "Riverdale 0736 please".

Voodoo Daddy
06-17-2005, 09:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Voodoo - Remember the AMC Pacer? It was like driving a fishbowl. They were ugly.
DG <hr /></blockquote>

You know why the Pacer had so many window?
So you could see the a**hole that paid 6K for it!!! HAHAHAHAHA
{Picturing Wayne and Garth in that blue Pacer w/ the flames}

Chopstick
06-17-2005, 10:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> You know you're getting old when people change the decade of these "You know you grew up when ..." threads and it is after you grew up and all the things mentioned in the thread are not fond memories to you. My generation was "You know you grew up in the "50's/ 60's" when...". Things like:
<hr /></blockquote>

I know what you mean. Being older does have it's compensations. You can be grumpy all day and nobody cares because they expect you to be that way.

There was a kid that thought he had me trapped in an eight ball game the other day. He said loudly "What are you gonna do now old mann!" I told him "Sit down sonny and let me show what I was doing while you were learning how to walk." Then I ran out on him.

And My favorite: "Wow, do all old guys know how to do that?"
I told her "Yes, we do!" Gotta stick up for the brotherhood. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

ChopStick~~~~&gt;DOM and happy to be one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

catscradle
06-17-2005, 10:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> You know you're getting old when people change the decade of these "You know you grew up when ..." threads and it is after you grew up and all the things mentioned in the thread are not fond memories to you. My generation was "You know you grew up in the "50's/ 60's" when...". Things like:
<hr /></blockquote>

I know what you mean. Being older does have it's compensations. You can be grumpy all day and nobody cares because they expect you to be that way.

There was a kid that thought he had me trapped in an eight ball game the other day. He said loudly "What are you gonna do now old mann!" I told him "Sit down sonny and let me show what I was doing while you were learning how to walk." Then I ran out on him.

And My favorite: "Wow, do all old guys know how to do that?"
I told her "Yes, we do!" Gotta stick up for the brotherhood. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

ChopStick~~~~&gt;DOM and happy to be one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

What I love is when I come off the soccer field after running for 90 minutes (over 60 league) and some 30 something guy with a beer gut down to his knees says something inane like "I've got to hand it to you guys, out there at your age". Don't hand it to me, get off your duff. Not that I'm a good soccer player, but I'm still moving (I think /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

pooltchr
06-17-2005, 12:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> "Wow, do all old guys know how to do that?"

ChopStick~~~~&gt;DOM and happy to be one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Speaking on behalf of us old guys everywhere, We appreciate it!!!

I've done the same thing on occasion, just to show some smart a$$ kid that he doesn't quite know everything just yet!

Steve
Another DOM!

DebraLiStarr
06-17-2005, 12:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> "Wow, do all old guys know how to do that?"

Speaking on behalf of us old guys everywhere, We appreciate it!!!

I've done the same thing on occasion, just to show some smart a$$ kid that he doesn't quite know everything just yet!

Steve
Another DOM! <hr /></blockquote>

Steve...
I just turned 30 in April. Last week I had some 22 year old guy tell me that he had a thing for "older" women. I was like.. older... when did that happen??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

MosconiJr
06-17-2005, 12:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote landshark77:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote DebraLiStarr:</font><hr>
http://hotpinup.free.fr/albums/userpics/10003/normal_Alyssa%20MILANO%2019.jpg <hr /></blockquote>

She needs to work on her grip. Seems she has dropped her jelly bean in her shirt. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I'll help her get it out! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MosconiJr

pooltchr
06-19-2005, 09:25 AM
It's all reletive, Debra. If I tell you I have a thing for younger women, does it make any difference?
Getting old certainly beats the alternative!!! LOL

catscradle
06-20-2005, 09:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> It's all reletive, Debra. If I tell you I have a thing for younger women, does it make any difference?
Getting old certainly beats the alternative!!! LOL <hr /></blockquote>

As my aunt used to always say about my uncle ... "When he stops looking start shoveling dirt on his face, he's dead."