PDA

View Full Version : Cloth VS Felt ... you won't believe this!!!

Cane
06-16-2005, 01:24 PM
OK, I've always been one that calls the cloth on a table cloth and politely correct those that call it felt. Well, one of my students bought a used table, a bar box, and asked me to recover it for him. He said "This thing has felt on it you can't shoot on". Of course, I politely say "Darin, it's cloth... Felt is something you glue on a lamp base". He just laughed and said, "OK, Just come over and help me out". So I load up the cloth (860 simonis) and my tools and head to Darins house. I walk in and almost fall in the floor. Someone had covered this nice Valley Cougar with CRAFT FELT! I have never seen that before in my life. This was not just a thick woven cloth it was REALLY craft felt, like you'd buy at Hobby Lobby. He says "Told you it was felt!" and then told me that the guy sold him the table for $300 and said that the new "felt" cost him $25 at a bargain store.

Just thought those of you that, like I, correct people on the cloth VS felt issue, would like to know that there are apparently a few tables out there that are covered with FELT, not cloth!

Later,
Bob

Troy
06-16-2005, 06:35 PM
Stranger than fiction... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> OK, I've always been one that calls the cloth on a table cloth and politely correct those that call it felt. Well, one of my students bought a used table, a bar box, and asked me to recover it for him. He said "This thing has felt on it you can't shoot on". Of course, I politely say "Darin, it's cloth... Felt is something you glue on a lamp base". He just laughed and said, "OK, Just come over and help me out". So I load up the cloth (860 simonis) and my tools and head to Darins house. I walk in and almost fall in the floor. Someone had covered this nice Valley Cougar with CRAFT FELT! I have never seen that before in my life. This was not just a thick woven cloth it was REALLY craft felt, like you'd buy at Hobby Lobby. He says "Told you it was felt!" and then told me that the guy sold him the table for $300 and said that the new "felt" cost him $25 at a bargain store.

Just thought those of you that, like I, correct people on the cloth VS felt issue, would like to know that there are apparently a few tables out there that are covered with FELT, not cloth!

Later,
Bob
<hr /></blockquote>

cycopath
06-16-2005, 09:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr>...told me that the guy sold him the table for $300...<hr /></blockquote>

That's a hell of a good deal on a working Valley, felt or not!

wolfdancer
06-16-2005, 09:55 PM
I thought Felt was "Deep Throat" ???
As I posted before though....among the 500 uses for their product...the Boston Felt Co.lists pool table coverings.

catscradle
06-17-2005, 12:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> I thought Felt was "Deep Throat" ???
As I posted before though....among the 500 uses for their product...the Boston Felt Co.lists pool table coverings.
<hr /></blockquote>

I was always told that pool tables never were covered with real felt. After reading your post concerning the Boston Felt Co., I wonder if once in the past felt really was the primary material to cover tables with.