PDA

View Full Version : Viking cues ... your thoughts ?

Snyder1
06-17-2005, 04:37 AM
I've only been playing a couple years, so I have no wealth of knowledge. From what I've heard, Viking was real big in the '80's and sponsored alot of pro events. I presume this was before the Meucci and Joss came into their own ? What happened to Viking ... I'm sure they still make a good cue, but aren't nearly as popular as they once were ... thx.

JS

dg-in-centralpa
06-17-2005, 05:09 AM
I still think they are popular. They sponsor Dawn Hopkins and you'll see ads for them on televised tournaments. Now there are many more production cues to choose from than in the 80's. Find a dealer near you and try a few out.

DG

Leviathan
06-17-2005, 06:07 AM
Viking sponsors a first-class 9-ball tour. For info about the tour, go to http://www.vikingcue.com/9balltour.htm . Viking also makes an extensive line of butt-ugly cues of pretty good quality.

AS

SplinterHands
06-17-2005, 07:03 AM
Save yourself some grief and get a ZZ series Mezz. Best production cue on the market.

Fred Agnir
06-17-2005, 07:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snyder1:</font><hr> I've only been playing a couple years, so I have no wealth of knowledge. From what I've heard, Viking was real big in the '80's and sponsored alot of pro events. I presume this was before the Meucci and Joss came into their own ? What happened to Viking ... I'm sure they still make a good cue, but aren't nearly as popular as they once were ... thx.

JS <hr /></blockquote>Meucci and Joss were very popular in the 80's as well. I'd venture to guess that Meucci was more popular than Viking.

Many people still purchase Viking cues, but with the onslaught of new production cues from the far east, the market that was once dominated by Viking, Meucci, &amp; McDermott has been greatly affected by Cuetec and others.

Fred

ryushen21
06-17-2005, 07:17 AM
I think viking comes up with more new designs on a yearly basis than any other cue company out there. But the quality has gone down IMHO. Every single viking that i have ever played with has had what i call the viking "thunk." you can hear it every time you hit.

As far as better production cues out there, McDermott makes a great cue at a reasonable price. Mezz makes a great cue but a bit more pricey. IMHO, there are many cues that are better out there that cost less.

SpiderMan
06-17-2005, 07:37 AM
One of the first cues I ever owned was a Viking, and I still have it. They were, and probably still are, pretty good cues. The new Vikings are so ugly, though, that you might chew the strap off your case to get away from it in the morning.

SpiderMan

BigRigTom
06-17-2005, 07:46 AM
I have played with the same Viking now for about 3 years and I simply love it. The thing is ...mine is NOT a real expensive cue... The Viking VX10 (http://store.yahoo.com/bigrigtoystore/vikpoolcuemo16.html) .... but I received it as a father's day gift from my wife. She picked it out based on what she thought I would like. She can do that some how! Some may say it is plain but I call it plain elegant design because it is not flashy just nice looking. I have played with several Meucci's, McDermott's, Scorpion's and I even have an old Valley Sneaky Pete but none of them really hold a candle to the VX10.
It is always personal preference and I am sure there are lots of great cues out there from China as well as other parts of the world. I just like my American made Viking VX10 (http://store.yahoo.com/bigrigtoystore/vikpoolcuemo16.html)and you can take that to the bank. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

JohnnyP
06-17-2005, 11:25 AM
I special ordered this 62" Viking last year:
http://www.jandssafeguard.com/Pool/John'sCues/Viking/F78.jpg

http://www.jandssafeguard.com/Pool/John'sCues/Viking/F78Butt.jpg

BigRigTom
06-17-2005, 01:26 PM
That is a great looking cue!
The grane is very similar to the grane on my VX10.

Hope you are winning matches with it /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
PS: Why 62"...seems that is awfully long...you must hate the bridge /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

loyter
06-17-2005, 01:33 PM
I have been playing with the same Viking cue for 13 years. It is the best cue I ever had. I will say that a friend of mine had a $1200 Meucci, which I tried a few times. It was nicer than my Viking, but at $150 (12 years ago) the difference wasn't that great.

It's all in what you like.

Personally, I like real wood, which eliminates many of the newer cuetec's and the like.

rickf28
06-18-2005, 10:06 AM
i hear alot of mixed feelings on vikings...i recently purchased a new cue and i asked the question? Which would you prefer...a Viking or a Mcdermott (i wanted USA)..alot of people like vikings (from what ive read) but there are some who dont..the one thing that i havent heard yet is anything negative about McDermott. I purchased a McDermott(got it Thurs} i got the M33C Twilight..its affordable and quite nice(My first cue purshase /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif)..Im sure its a matter of preference..and im not sure if you are asking this question because you are in the market for cue.. I dont think you can go wrong with a Viking, but McDermotts seem to be hard to talk bad about (according to post ive read here and in other places). Viking does have alot of cues to choose from..more than most manufacturers i have looked at. Viking does seem to have good rep, even though you do here some neg feedback on them. If you are looking to purchase you may want to look at McDermotts also, ive never heard anything bad about them...lol hope im not getting something started here

BigRigTom
06-18-2005, 01:34 PM
As I said on my previous post...I had played with a McDermott and that is a very good cue. If I didn't have this Viking VX10 I would still be playing with the McDermott. You have to try each to know the difference and then your preference is your's alone. They are both fine cues for the price and I challenge anyone to contradict that statement. I just prefer my Viking..he he /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif