PDA

View Full Version : Women's brains

Drop1
06-17-2005, 07:16 PM
New study: Womens brains are faster than men's,and gender differences are becoming more evident,as the study progresses.

LARRY_BOY
06-20-2005, 01:20 PM
? I don't understand..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Drop1
06-20-2005, 07:21 PM
The neurons in a womans brain are closer together,making the synapsis response quicker. Faced with the same problem,men and women use the brain to arrive at the same conclusion,but a different route is taken depending on the gender of the brain. Its not about intelligence,its only the result of a study done in Canada. The lady doing the study has been working on mapping the human brain for forty years,and has the largest collection of human brains in the world. She is now maping Einstein's brain,which bye the way is smaller over all than the average brain,but fifteen percent larger in the area where mathmatics is done.

Qtec
06-21-2005, 02:00 AM
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/images/howtoprint.jpg

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

catscradle
06-21-2005, 04:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> The neurons in a womans brain are closer together,making the synapsis response quicker. Faced with the same problem,men and women use the brain to arrive at the same conclusion,but a different route is taken depending on the gender of the brain. Its not about intelligence,its only the result of a study done in Canada. The lady doing the study has been working on mapping the human brain for forty years,and has the largest collection of human brains in the world. She is now maping Einstein's brain,which bye the way is smaller over all than the average brain,but fifteen percent larger in the area where mathmatics is done. <hr /></blockquote>

Do you have a reference to that study or a more in depth article about it. I think it is not good science to say that just because the inter-synapses distances are smaller that there is a quicker transmission across them. It seems logical, but scientific experiment has proven logic wrong more than once before. Also even if there is a quicker response it doesn't mean that that is either a good thing or a bad thing.

Incidentally, according to an autobiography I read about Einstein math was something he struggle with relative to other things. He had his insights about physics kind of out of nowhere, but in order to back them up and communicate them to others he had to master calculus. The obvious question is how much of his enlarged area of the brain was due to genetics and how much due to doing so much math. I'm sure there have been studies done about the effect of mental exercise on the brain, but a real study I suppose would require removing somebody's brain at the start, desecting it, putting it back together, and putting it back in before the "mental exercise" begins; not practical. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Cat. &lt;- Removed and sliced up dog brains in grad school, not fun!

Drop1
06-21-2005, 09:55 AM
Sure. The study is in process at Mac Master University,Ontario Canada. The person doing the study is Sandra Witelson,professor of psychiatry,and neuroscience. Published in New England Journal of Science,and the Lancet,and other peer review journals.Thomas Harvey did the autopsy on Einstein at Princeton N.J. He kept the brains,and the opthomoligist kept the eye balls. Harvey is ninty six years old now,and knowing he is not going to live long donated the brain to the University. As a side note,the penis of Napoleon was cut off and preserved. He was poisoned with arsnic. I make it a rule to be able to back up everything I put on the forum,because I know people are going to ask me to prove what I said. And I think they should. Now I pointed the direction,how about you calling the University,and talking with them. I did that on a study of osteoporosis a bone condition my wife has. Look a lot of people don't know what big egos scientist have,and they get pissed off and shoot one another down. Why did they pull estrogens,after years of use by millions of women,or why are the cox2 family of drugs on the way out. The answer is not rocket science,medicine does good,and harm. My favorite warning is "Caution use of this drug can cause sudden death"

catscradle
06-21-2005, 10:13 AM
I found the article ...
Deep dark secrets of the brain (http://news.yahoo.com/s/latimests/20050616/ts_latimes/deepdarksecretsofhisandherbrains)

..., it is really quite interesting. That is a woman doing for a living what I wanted to do, but quite frankly I just wasn't smart enough. Some people dream of playing a guitar like Stevie Ray Vaughn did, some people dream of playing pool like Efren, some of us dream of being smart, really smart.

Drop1
06-21-2005, 06:41 PM
Catscradle,
I believe you have the most important element, a honest desire to understand: a scarce commodity, in a world that confuses education with training.Glad you found the article.

Chopstick
06-22-2005, 05:22 AM
<font color="blue">This part is good. </font color>
Witelson is convinced that gender shapes the anatomy of male and female brains in separate but equal ways beginning at birth.

On average, she said, the brains of women and men are neither better nor worse, but they are measurably different.

Men's brains, for instance, are typically bigger but on the whole, no smarter. <font color="blue"> She fails to mention that we have two of them. </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

<font color="blue">I saw a show about how evolution has caused differences in capabilities in male and female brains. We began as a hunter/gatherer society. Recognizing color differences in fruits and berries was important as well as interacting with other members of the tribe. So today women can see color variances that men just can't. Also the area of their brains that is devoted to language processing is eight times the size of a mans. No matter what you do she will always feel you don't talk to her enough. The truth is there is no way a man can keep up. </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

<font color="blue">As far as being faster, consider this. A man will tend to use comparative logic when coming to a decision. A woman wil be more likely to decide based on how she feels about it. Emotional reasoning defines things immediately by it's aspect. Comparative logic is a two step process. Women will always feel that men are slow thinkers. </font color>

Drop1
06-22-2005, 11:19 AM
Chopstick, Its an on going study. IF you have the desire to really know this stuff cold flat facts,read Matt Riddley's book "Genome". If you don't have the intrest,enjoy the vacation. I'm on oxygen. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Stretch
06-22-2005, 03:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> Chopstick, Its an on going study. IF you have the desire to really know this stuff cold flat facts,read Matt Riddley's book "Genome". If you don't have the intrest,enjoy the vacation. I'm on oxygen. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I view the brain as similar to other muscles. Use it, or lose it. St.