PDA

View Full Version : Any Italians out there?

Fran Crimi
06-19-2005, 09:43 AM
<font color="blue"> Memories of growing up Italian....My friend sent this to me. It's all true. LOL

Fran</font color>

Italians

The true Italians will love this, those of you who are married to Italians will understand this, and those of you who are friends with Italians will remember it too.

Italians have a $40,000 kitchen, but use the $259 stove from American Appliance in the basement to cook.

There is some sort of religious statue in the hallway, living room, front porch and backyard.

The living room is filled with old bombonieri (they are too pretty to open) with poofy net bows and stale almonds.

A portrait of the Pope and Frank Sinatra are in the dining room.

God forbid if anyone EVER attempted to eat Chef Boy-are-dee, Franco American, Ragu, Prego or anything else in a jar or can. (Tomato paste is the exception.)

The following are Italian Holidays:
* First weekend in October - Grapes for the Wine
* 3rd weekend in August - Tomatoes for the Gravy (Speaking of which, it's GRAVY and not Sauce).

Meatballs are made with Pork, Veal and Beef. Italians, don't care about cholesterol.

Turkey is served on Thanksgiving, AFTER the manicotti, gnocchi, and lasagna.

If anyone EVER says ES-CAROLE, slap 'em in the face -- it's SHCAROLL.

No matter how hard you knew you were going to get smacked, you still came home from church after communion, stuck half a loaf of bread in the gravy pot, snuck out a fried meatball and chowed down. (You'll make up for it next week at confession.)

Sunday dinner was at 1:00.

The meal went like this...Table is set with everyday dishes...doesn't matter if they don't match...they're clean, what more do you want.

All the utensils go on the right side of the plate and the napkin goes on the left. Put a clean kitchen towel at Nonno &amp;Papa's plate because they won't use napkins. Homemade wine and bottles of 7 UP are on the table.

* First course, Antipasto...change plates.
* Next, Macaroni (Nonna called all spaghetti Macaroni)...change plates.
* After that, Roasted Meats, Roasted Potatoes, Overcooked vegetables...change
plates.
* THEN and only then (NEVER AT THE BEGINNING OF THE MEAL) would you eat the salad (HOMEMADE OIL &amp;VINEGAR DRESSING ONLY)..change plates.
* Next, Fruit &amp;Nuts - in the shell (on paper plates because you ran out of the other ones).
* Coffee (Espresso for Nonno, "Merican" coffee for the rest) with Anisette (Hard Cookies to dip in the coffee).

The kids go play...the men go to lay down...the women clean the kitchen. <font color="blue"> (Sad but true. LOL) </font color>

Getting screamed at by Mom or Nonna - half the sentence was English, the other half Italian.

Italian mothers never threw a baseball in their life, but can nail you in the head with a shoe thrown from the kitchen while you're in the living room.

Prom Dress that Zia Ceserina made you...$20.00 for material.
Prom hair-do from Cousin Angela...$Free.
Turning around at prom to see your entire family (including Godparents) standing in the back of the gym...PRICELESS!

Leviathan
06-19-2005, 10:21 AM
Ha!--good stuff, Fran!

If you haven't already seen it, you might enjoy a Luchino Visconti film called The Leopard, which was made back in the Sixties and starred Burt Lancaster, Alain Delon, and Claudia Cardinale. The story is set in Sicily around the year 1860. Very entertaining movie--very atmospheric. The novel it's based on, The Leopard, by Giuseppe di Lampedusa, is outstanding.

AS

Popcorn
06-19-2005, 04:28 PM
On our wall was a picture of George Washington and the current president until Kennedy was elected then that tradition ended. My father knew old man Kennedy from the bootlegging days and hated him and the whole Kennedy family. My father came to America in 1910 by himself and stayed with family friends that were already here. He was the oldest son so he came first and in a short time the rest of the family came when they could afford it settling in New Jersey. Although he died when I was in my teens, (my mother was his second wife and he was in his 50's when I was born), one of the things I remember most was the noise in the house. When his brothers came over it always sounded like they were arguing and fighting but that is the way they talked. After dinner you needed a fire hose to clean up, eating was a pleasure to be enjoyed and manners meant little. Some sauce on your chin or slurping sounds were part of the meal. No matter how well it was prepared someone would always say it needs some salt or something, when it came to food everyone was a critic. My aunt would without a doubt say, "Ruth, this sauce is wonderful, but you know what it needs", my mother used to get so pissed. I mainly remember though how much they all loved America and talked about it always. My father disliked the Catholic religion, he had his reasons but I never really knew what they were, so there were no pictures of the pope in our house. He was not that religious anyway but when he was dying his good friend Rabbi Fish who he played poker with was the only one he wanted. He stayed with us and was there when he died.

Voodoo Daddy
06-19-2005, 04:41 PM
Questo filo restituisce dei bei ricordi, la ringrazia Fran

Fran Crimi
06-19-2005, 05:12 PM
Per me anche, Voodoo. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fran ~~~ Did you eat your shcaroll today?

Fran Crimi
06-19-2005, 05:34 PM
I remember the yelling. It was as if everybody had a hearing problem. LOL

All four of my grandparents emigrated from Sicily through Ellis Island. The men came first, got bricklaying jobs and went back for their wives. My parents met at a dance in Brooklyn with Harry James playing "You Made Me Love You" in the background---live of course.

My uncle had a tomato garden and he would harvest the tomatoes, precook and jar them with fresh basil which would get us through the winter until the next crop. In the summers we'd sit out back and eat crabs in the sauce---after the dish of macaroni, of course, followed by the salad.

My other uncle had grape vines out on Long Island and he'd supply the wine for the family. That stuff was like moonshine. Nobody ever got sick. It killed everything. You could even use it as bug spray if you wanted to.

I remember sleepovers at my Grandmother's when my parents went out. My cousin and I had to sit through Bruno San Martino wrestling matches on TV. She had a crush on Bruno. Then before bed we'd have to play this card game with her called 'scoopa'. We knew she was cheating but we couldn't figure out how.

When the family visited, we'd sit around listening to Lou Monte and Pat Cooper records, falling off the chair laughing, and then the women would take over and it would be Vikki Carr~~~"Can it please be him...Oh dear God, It must be him, it must be him or I shall die" (sheesh), or Al Martino.

Fran ~~~~ Those were the days. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Vagabond
06-19-2005, 05:36 PM
<font color="red"> </font color> OMARTHA.
Vagabond

Fran Crimi
06-19-2005, 05:55 PM
I hadn't seen it, but it seems to be a famous artistic film. I'll make sure I see it. Thanks

Fran

Popcorn
06-19-2005, 06:17 PM
I don't know how to find it now but there is a web site that I was able to find my family members names on when they came to this country, even a picture of the ship they came on. It is something to do with Ellis island.

Fran Crimi
06-19-2005, 06:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I don't know how to find it now but there is a web site that I was able to find my family members names on when they came to this country, even a picture of the ship they came on. It is something to do with Ellis island. <hr /></blockquote>

Yes, I found that too, and saw pictures of the ships and the original ships' manifests, listing their names, how much money they had on them, where they were staying in the U.S. when they arrived, results of their medical exams on Ellis Island, etc. Fascinating stuff. I recently found my grandparents' ship tickets in a box in the basement. Sure enough the ship names match the tickets.

Here's the link:

Ellis Island (http://www.ellisisland.org/)

9 Ball Girl
06-20-2005, 06:48 AM
Hi Fran! Although I grew up in a Hispanic household, there are a lot of similarities there, especially with the shoe throwing and statues all over the place! LOL

9 Ball Girl
06-20-2005, 06:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> Questo filo restituisce dei bei ricordi, la ringrazia Fran <hr /></blockquote>I don't know what the hell I just read, but it reads beautifully...

Wendy&lt;---has always abso-friggin-lutely loved Italian men!

Gayle in MD
06-20-2005, 07:06 AM
Fran,
This is great. I just love my Italian relatives. My Mother was English and Irish, and German, but my Dad was full Italian. Our sundays were great, when we went to my Italian Grandparents home. In the dining room there was a long table, very long, where the entire family had meals. My Dad was the eldest of six. Every sunday there would be great laughter, great hot debate, (This is what non Italians call arguments, lol,) great food, and an abundance of affection.

I found my grandfathers information on the Ellis Island website, the picture of the ship, etc., but could never find my grandmother for some reason. My granfather came here first, opened a cleaning business in Washington D.C., and then sent for each of his three brothers. One settled in Washington and the other two in New York. They were all tailors, and each one owned a cleaning business. My grandmother, who was a devoted Catholic, walked to church every day. She could stretch a dollar to China and back.

She checked all the pockets of the suits and pants and jackets when people left their cleaning, and walked to the bank to put the nickels, dimes and quarters into her secret bank account. To atone for this sin, she said the rosary everyday, lol. All of us grandchildren would go with her if we were visiting, but the account was a secret from my grandfather and from her kids also. None of us ever told anyone about the account. She would say, this is a secret between you and me and God, and someday you will understand how important it is to save for a rainy day, lol. Then when we left the bank, we would walk with her to church where she would kneel and say the rosary and light a candle for the sin of not giving the pocket change back to her customers.

When she died at 78, in 1962, the president of the bank called and told her grown kids about the account. She had saved, over all those years, nickels, dimes and quarters, eighty thousand dollars! This was in 1962 now...

Sure taught me a lesson, LOL. Everytime I hear people say the old joke about "Never steal anything small" I think about my grandmother, LOL. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gayle in Md.

Qtec
06-20-2005, 07:15 AM
I,m Irish Scottish!
How to prepare scotlands traditional meal.

First, take a sheep.
Cut every piece of meat from it and throw it away.[ wont be needing that]
Take whats left over ie ofal. put it in the grinder and boil the contents in a sheeps stomach!

........tasty /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q

Voodoo Daddy
06-20-2005, 07:39 AM
In a simple translation I was suppose to say;
"That brought back fond memories, thanks Fran."

My italian is as bad as my spanish or my japanese but not nearly as bad as my english!!

Rich R.
06-20-2005, 08:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> God forbid if anyone EVER attempted to eat Chef Boy-are-dee, Franco American, Ragu, Prego or anything else in a jar or can. <hr /></blockquote>
My mother-in-law was Italian and my wife, her sister and brother always felt like they were missing something, when the other kids talked about eating Chef Boy-are-dee spaghetti, from the can.

One day, when their parents were out, they went to the store and got a can of the Chef's spaghetti and heated it up. They each had a taste, threw the rest in the garbage and never felt like they were missing anything again. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif