PDA

View Full Version : Survey on Back Pain

Thunderduck
06-19-2005, 10:10 PM

cueball1950
06-19-2005, 10:21 PM
although this subject has been hashed out several times in the past i will reply to this one also.
i think most everyone who plays pool or other sports had back pain of some type or another. Me i personally take 2 10mg of lortab plus a flexeril and 2 aleve if i am going to be playing pool for any extended period of time and alot of the time that is not enough. but what the heck, by the time they all kick in i am flying low without a plane anyway...lolololol..........mike

theinel
06-20-2005, 02:30 AM
I'm 35ish and I've been playing pool casually for about twelve years. For the last three years I've logged at least 20 hours a week at or around a table. I'm not in great shape and have been dreading some inevitable back pain would show up at some point but I haven't had it appear yet.

I've always remembered the old "lift with your legs not with your back" saying and I try to keep my weight on my legs whenever possible. I'm not trying to put any science in that, I might just be lucky, but maybe good posture and/or good balance does help.

nhp
06-20-2005, 03:05 AM
I'm 24 and I suffer from chronic back pain ever since I injured it in the military a few years ago. If I play long sessions of pool sometimes the pain gets really bad. It's tough to deal with but I love pool too much to quit playing.

Voodoo Daddy
06-20-2005, 04:29 AM
Being 6'5" and overweight doesnt help but I too suffer from injury related back pain. I have two broken disc's in my lower back...but I block it out and deal with it, I take nothing. Sure I medicated myself in the past but what love on the planet DOESNT have a price? Some of us are willing to pay that price for the love of whatever it is. Pro sports is full of pain, just fade it.

caedos
06-20-2005, 09:41 PM
I have stiffness, creaks, and pops all the time. Occasionally I have pain. Once or twice a year I have the feeling like an ice pick has been inserted around T8-T9. Various incidents over my life have virtually assured me of arthritis beyond the current level. I have a cervical vertebrae that is measurably worn, presumably from playing pool. It doesn't effect my play. I have front side bone spurs at the base of c4 and c5 with a floating bone chip close by... it's not worth surgery because there's no significant discomfort or functionality issues. I'll keep my fingers crossed that my state stays the same or gets better. It really doesn't stop me from doing anything I want other than hard contact sports. I think I'm in the normal range for my age all the way around physically (I'm 34 this year). If you find a new spine for someone, I'd like one but will wait my turn at the far end of the triage line!

Carl

Thunderduck
06-20-2005, 09:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote caedos:</font><hr> I have stiffness, creaks, and pops all the time. Occasionally I have pain. Once or twice a year I have the feeling like an ice pick has been inserted around T8-T9. Various incidents over my life have virtually assured me of arthritis beyond the current level. I have a cervical vertebrae that is measurably worn, presumably from playing pool. It doesn't effect my play. I have front side bone spurs at the base of c4 and c5 with a floating bone chip close by... it's not worth surgery because there's no significant discomfort or functionality issues. I'll keep my fingers crossed that my state stays the same or gets better. It really doesn't stop me from doing anything I want other than hard contact sports. I think I'm in the normal range for my age all the way around physically (I'm 34 this year). If you find a new spine for someone, I'd like one but will wait my turn at the far end of the triage line!

Carl
<hr /></blockquote>

Sorry to hear everyone has so many aches and pains... I guess all sports do put pressure on the body if you play them competitively.

By the way Carl, I've heard from many people that you are a terrific instructor! Keep up the good work!

Tduck

randyg
07-01-2005, 04:35 PM
Carl is "top shelf". He knows his students well....randyg