PDA

View Full Version : WPC, is it the toughest tournament to win?

recoveryjones
06-20-2005, 10:34 PM
I was just wondering which tourney that everyone thought was the toughest modern day tournament to win?

I think that the World Pool Championships are the toughest to win or at very least amongst the toughest. Here are my reasons why:

1. First of all qualifying for this tournament is very tough.Read the very tough criteria here(link below) for even getting into this tournament.
http://www.worldpoolchampionships.com/qualification_system.asp
This tournament isn't based on a large money entry,you must be good in your region to get in.Sure there are a few marginal players who get in because their are is rahter weak,however,in most cases you get in because you are good.....consistently...REALLY GOOD!

2.Once you are in you must survive the group stages which means winning in most cases 4 matches out of seven just to make it to the knockout stage.

3. Once you get to the knockout stage you must win EVERY single match thereafter to become world champion.There is no double knockout second chance factor(like most other tournaments) here of coming back on the one loss side.If you lose just one match, you are toast,goodnight ,asta la vista.
That makes every match, a pressure packed encounter.

You must go undeafeated against six opponents who are amongst the greatest players on the planet.Unlike most tournaments everyone is here for this one.The very greatest players from the Phillipines,Taiwan,Germany, The USA, the Netherlands etc etc are all here.

4. Other pressure factors are as follows:

- This is a nine day MARATHON that the eventual winner must endure and for most it takes place in a foriegn country that is very vocal for it's local players.

-This is one of the biggest prize payouts in pool with $75,000 going to the winner.

-To win this tournament you must win several long matches to 9,11 and then a grueling marathon to 17 in the finals.These longer races definitley reduce the fluke factor.

- Most of the latter matches that a champion will have to endure are played on the TV table in front of a large audience and a massive TV audience.A lot of players fold up like a cheap Walmart tent, under the TV lights.

-Finally:You are playing for the dream title that every pool player wants to be recognized as" The Champion of the World".The majority of pool players will tell you that this is THE tournament they'd rather win than any other.

In summary this is one pressure packed,grueling marathon against the greatest players on the planet. After the knockout stages, there is no easy match. Anyone can beat anyone and lose once and your out.

Since 1999 when the tournament went into the present modern day format, no-one has one back-to-back or repeated.This is one tough tournament to win.In my opinion, the toughest in all of modern day pool. RJ

Harold Acosta
06-25-2005, 03:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr> I was just wondering which tourney that everyone thought was the toughest modern day tournament to win?

I think that the World Pool Championships are the toughest to win or at very least amongst the toughest. Here are my reasons why:

1. First of all qualifying for this tournament is very tough.Read the very tough criteria here(link below) for even getting into this tournament.
http://www.worldpoolchampionships.com/qualification_system.asp
This tournament isn't based on a large money entry,you must be good in your region to get in.Sure there are a few marginal players who get in because their are is rahter weak,however,in most cases you get in because you are good.....consistently...REALLY GOOD!

2.Once you are in you must survive the group stages which means winning in most cases 4 matches out of seven just to make it to the knockout stage.

3. Once you get to the knockout stage you must win EVERY single match thereafter to become world champion.There is no double knockout second chance factor(like most other tournaments) here of coming back on the one loss side.If you lose just one match, you are toast,goodnight ,asta la vista.
That makes every match, a pressure packed encounter.

You must go undeafeated against six opponents who are amongst the greatest players on the planet.Unlike most tournaments everyone is here for this one.The very greatest players from the Phillipines,Taiwan,Germany, The USA, the Netherlands etc etc are all here.

4. Other pressure factors are as follows:

- This is a nine day MARATHON that the eventual winner must endure and for most it takes place in a foriegn country that is very vocal for it's local players.

-This is one of the biggest prize payouts in pool with $75,000 going to the winner.

-To win this tournament you must win several long matches to 9,11 and then a grueling marathon to 17 in the finals.These longer races definitley reduce the fluke factor.

- Most of the latter matches that a champion will have to endure are played on the TV table in front of a large audience and a massive TV audience.A lot of players fold up like a cheap Walmart tent, under the TV lights.

-Finally:You are playing for the dream title that every pool player wants to be recognized as" The Champion of the World".The majority of pool players will tell you that this is THE tournament they'd rather win than any other.

In summary this is one pressure packed,grueling marathon against the greatest players on the planet. After the knockout stages, there is no easy match. Anyone can beat anyone and lose once and your out.

Since 1999 when the tournament went into the present modern day format, no-one has one back-to-back or repeated.This is one tough tournament to win.In my opinion, the toughest in all of modern day pool. RJ <hr /></blockquote>

I agree with what you are saying here. It is definitely a true test for anyone.

In addition, some players have to get there a couple of days earlier because of jet-lag. To give you an example, the entire flight to this year's event from Puerto Rico would have been between 36 to 44 hours, depending on the different schedules/stops that had to be taken.

Imagine a player from Argentina (nine hours from Argentina to Puerto Rico) or a player from Chile. Many of these players go the other way around. From Argentina to Spain or Holland, and then to Taipei and finallly to Kaohsiung, southern tip of Taiwan.