PDA

View Full Version : Melissa Herndon on TV Tonite

9 Ball Girl
06-21-2005, 07:06 AM
I see no one posted anything at all about this here:

Melissa Herndon is going to be on tonight's episode of The Takedown: Shootout at Mr. Lucky's on Court TV at 10:30 PM EST. Here's the synopsis:

<font color="blue">Paul Wilson and his crew enter the shifty world of pool sharks. Their mission? To take down a big time hustler and teach him a lesson he won't forget. Just one problem--this shark is good, really good. With the help of one of the world's top pool players, can the team pull it off? One shot could mean the difference between a big score and a back alley brawl. </font color>

<font color="blue">Melissa Posted This On The AZB Forum</font color> (http://azbilliards.com/vbulletin/upload/showthread.php?t=14261)

Popcorn
06-21-2005, 08:38 AM
I'm going to watch but this does not sound good.

"One shot could mean the difference between a big score and a back alley brawl."

I'm going to watch but this does not sound good.

cuechick
06-21-2005, 03:50 PM
Sounds interesting to me, can't wait!

Popcorn
06-21-2005, 07:57 PM
This may have been worse then that hustling video Jimmy Mataya made some years back. Oh well, at least they saved the pool room from going broke by running off the big bad hustler. Of course the owner could have just asked him to leave. Not to mention they went in and stold money from his customers.

ras314
06-21-2005, 09:23 PM
Actually, I thought the acting by Melissa and the hustler was quite good. He seemed to be enjoying himself.

Can't say the same for the script though. Save the poor dumb pool player's money by hustling them to get stake money? Spot 3 on the wire in a race to 5 and dump the first rack? Spotted her the break too? Insist on money up front including a phoney hand off, then a fake worry about getting stiffed? Besides might be hard to find a whole pool room full of people where no one knew Melissa Herndon.

Looked like the balls were getting moved between takes, a real bummer.

Papasmurf
06-21-2005, 09:49 PM
This was one pretty sad show for pool. I was really disappointed. It was all fake! Think about it... Your running the big bad wolf out of the pool hall because he has been taking everybody's money...and your solution is to hustle the regulars to build a stake to blow the wolf away...SMILE No wonder pool cant seem to get a better image with crap like this on television.

cuechick
06-22-2005, 03:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Besides might be hard to find a whole pool room full of people where no one knew Melissa Herndon.
<hr /></blockquote>

Esp in L.A.! I have to agree with all of you, it was contrived and silly and may have set pool back 20 years! I also had to wonder who the genius was that decided to televise what amounts to highly illegal gambling activity. I am pretty sure WPBA members are not allowed to do this? I wonder if there will be an repercussions for Melissa. I hope not since it did seem pretty fake, except for the spotting thing. If it were completely fake, then why not just have them play even?

9 Ball Girl
06-22-2005, 07:33 AM
I have the same comments as everyone here and it's because we're all poolplayers. Now, like I said in another post, I don't know who the audience for the Takedown is, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the majority are not pool players. Having said that, this was probably your stereotype of hustling and gambling in a pool room that would make for some entertainment for those non players.

Melissa, on the other hand, was really cute, I thought. I loved her facial expressions. I really hope that she doesn't get in trouble with the WPBA--it was only acting after all! I still think that the Celebrity Pool thing that Jeanette Lee hosted was worse as far as entertainment value for a true pool player (I don't want to remind myself how painful that was).

Popcorn
06-22-2005, 10:06 AM
I think there is more wrong here then it is just entertainment for the general public. Court TV is in most peoples minds a news and educational channel. They show live trials with commentary, they have shows about forensic science and so on. This show Takedown is billed as professionals doing what they do and letting you in on the secret. If as you say the unknowing public is the audience then they are being lied to and being shown something resembling a Sitcom rather then reality. The show should be done so it would be interesting even to the most knowledgeable watcher as well or it is a fraud. No one learned anything in that show other then the perpetuating of stereotypical BS. The show they did last week with the magnetic dice was equally bad from and realistic standpoint. It is a ridiculously bad show period.

9 Ball Girl
06-22-2005, 10:17 AM
So that's what the show is about. I'd never heard of it 'til just recently to see Melissa on it. In that case, I will have to agree with you.

theinel
06-24-2005, 03:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> This may have been worse then that hustling video Jimmy Mataya made some years back. Oh well, at least they saved the pool room from going broke by running off the big bad hustler. Of course the owner could have just asked him to leave. Not to mention they went in and stold money from his customers. <hr /></blockquote>
This show was definitely not good but at least they tried. If you're talking about the "Secrets of Pool Hustling" Mataya video I don't think that anyone will ever be able to top how bad that was and they got Mizerak to costar in it. Melissa is a nice person and a solid shooter. You never know what she was told or what happened during editing so I wouldn't hold her too accountable for the less palatable aspects of the show. For what it's worth I was told that they gave back all of the money that they won.

Poolboy23
06-24-2005, 11:57 AM
hey, I found this show pretty entertaining. I think its fine that court-tv is trying to expand its programming, you guys are harsh /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Popcorn
06-24-2005, 12:49 PM
I guess you fit their demographic.

wolfdancer
06-27-2005, 10:11 AM
Saw this show last night....and most of the flaws have already been mentioned....
It was my first time seeing Melissa shoot...and...I kind of loked her break.
Thought she stroke was short, but effective....I've been switching over to this type of stroke, with some decent results.
And in your sig.....you are spelling "fuggit" all wrong

BrakenRun
06-28-2005, 12:05 AM
Can anybody tell me who the "loud mouthed" sap was that she was playing? Just curious if anybody knew him. Sure had a mouth on him. What was he talking about? "There isn't supposed to be women in a pool room." I see plenty of women in the pool rooms I play in and a whole lot of them shoot really good. Brakenrun

cuechick
06-28-2005, 02:18 PM
Accoding to a thread on AZ he is the husband of a player on the tour, I have forgotten her name but she is Asian... (though I do not thing she is a touring pro) and he is very nice guy. So if any one is still wondering if it was real or fake, there is your answer.

9 Ball Girl
06-28-2005, 06:22 PM
Thanks Lara! I'm not familiar with the Takedown as I've never seen it 'til Melissa's episode but I figured it was scripted. It was just way too cliche as far as hustling goes.

Popcorn
06-28-2005, 06:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cuechick:</font><hr> Accoding to a thread on AZ he is the husband of a player on the tour, I have forgotten her name but she is Asian... (though I do not thing she is a touring pro) and he is very nice guy. So if any one is still wondering if it was real or fake, there is your answer. <hr /></blockquote>

This information was pulled from an Internet board with no specifics, why do you believe it? Unless someone says who he is and who he is married to I would not take it as fact.

cuechick
06-28-2005, 08:15 PM
They did say who he was and who he was married too, I just can not remember her name, I think it is Stephanie Boch...or something like that.
I did not say it was a fact, just referenced the answer given.
What ever I say here, you aways come back with some combative response. I do not know what is up with that?

Popcorn
06-28-2005, 08:42 PM
No one is picking on you but internet boards are notorious for bad and misinformation and it gets repeated as fact.
I was just referring to your line

"So if any one is still wondering if it was real or fake, there is your answer."

Inferring you know it to be true. I had a guy tell me how to fix an electrical problem on my car on one of those auto forums and got an e-mail from a mechanic not to do what the guy had told me or I could really mess up my electrical system. When I posted back to the original guy he said he had heard that was what to do but really didn't know anything about cars. Here is this idiot posting to a site frequented by professional mechanics who doesn't know a God damn thing about cars and giving wrong and even dangerous advice. I guess I am sensitive to misinformation spread on internet boards even when it's benign. Actually, anytime anyone post anything it is not uncommon for it to be challenged if it's truth seems suspicious. No one wants bad information or rumors floating around and being repeated. Some guy posted something on here just the other day about Gus Szamboti and his son had to come on to correct it. The guy didn't know what he was talking about but here it was posted as a fact.

theinel
06-30-2005, 07:37 PM
This may have been mentioned somewhere already (I searched but it's hard to search for references about a specific ball).

During the show when they are explaining the rules of 9-ball they show a close-up of the rack and the 9-ball in the back, not the center. Not a fatal flaw but it does show that the program or the production crew didn't have a great knowledge of pool.