PDA

View Full Version : Left Eye Dominant, RHGT Handed Student

Sid_Vicious
06-21-2005, 09:25 AM
How do you instruct a student with the left eye dominant and shoots ritht handed? Shoving the head over that far seems like contortion city...what's the best approach???sid

MikeM
06-21-2005, 10:09 AM
Sid,

I'm left eye dominant and right handed. I find it much easier to get my head in the right position using a snooker stance. Much better balance with this stance. Do you teach this stance?

MM

1Time
06-21-2005, 11:24 AM
I am too and I use a semi-upright stance. Just square your eyes over the cue stick but slightly favor the dominant eye. However, stress that the student try it different ways with similar shots to see what works best for him/her. It's important for the student to experience the discovery.

Edit: I should say too that I very slightly tilt my head to the right which helps get my left eye in position. Again, whatever works best for the student.

Jude_Rosenstock
06-21-2005, 12:09 PM
Most people are right-eye dominant so if you want a good example, look at most left-handed shooters. In fact, 70% of all lefties are the mirror image of what you're talking about (Rodney Morris, for one). I'm right-handed and left-eye dominant and use a standard stance. You're simply moving your head over an inch or two. That's it.

littleCajun
06-22-2005, 06:20 AM
Just dont think about eye dominace. Just place your head over the cue where you see staight. In other words place your head to where what you perceive to be straight line is true.

you can place a piece of chalk on the rail right where the cloth meets the rail and line up to shoot it. lay your cue on the table and use the line that is made between the cloth and the rail to see if you are lining up correctly

HALHOULE
06-25-2005, 11:29 AM
Use the aiming system that uses specific targets you can actually see.not some invisible thing like contact points.

Cutting to the right:

Aim the center of the cue ball at the center of the left half of the object ball.

Aim the center of the cue ball at the left edge of the object ball..

Aim the center of the right half of the cue ball at the left edge of the object ball.

Reverse the process in cutting to the left.

Jim Rempe and Ray Martin both play that way. It is an old system, and goes back a long way before I was born. An easy way to play.

Hal

Troy
06-25-2005, 02:08 PM
Since I've had binocular vision all my life, I don't subscribe to the dominant eye theory. I center my head over the cue.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> How do you instruct a student with the left eye dominant and shoots ritht handed? Shoving the head over that far seems like contortion city...what's the best approach???sid <hr /></blockquote>

GStrong
06-26-2005, 03:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HALHOULE:</font><hr> Use the aiming system that uses specific targets you can actually see.not some invisible thing like contact points.

Cutting to the right:

Aim the center of the cue ball at the center of the left half of the object ball.

Aim the center of the cue ball at the left edge of the object ball..

Aim the center of the right half of the cue ball at the left edge of the object ball.

Reverse the process in cutting to the left.

Jim Rempe and Ray Martin both play that way. It is an old system, and goes back a long way before I was born. An easy way to play.

Hal <hr /></blockquote>

Is this a basic intepretation of SAM???

raodwarior
06-27-2005, 09:21 AM
Sid,

First thing I try is to get them to switch to shooting with the left hand. I do this in firearms training as well and you'll be amazed in the rapid improvement by doing that. The ones I can't get to change I do move their head over slightly. Hal also gave a great reply but you really have to have the stroke fundamentals down fisrt. After that his is the first system I teach to beginners.

Hope that helps some

Sid_Vicious
06-27-2005, 10:24 AM
My left eye dominant never has a single problem going off hand, so your advice is very feasable. The problen in aiming comes from dropping down and not hitting center CB, most always a tip off to the right. THIS is my need for a fix today...sid

Sid_Vicious
06-27-2005, 11:28 AM
Are you suggesting to switch to the left hand and keep it there, or is this for refining the right hand/head position? I never thought about switching completely for a leftie conversion...sid

raodwarior
06-27-2005, 12:00 PM
Yup, optimum is to switch to left hand, however, you have ingrained most of the right hand movements. Without seeing you shoot try bringing your head up about 1 1/2" to 2" higher over the cue, and slightly left, that has helped some of my students.