PDA

View Full Version : Pool School --- I Survived!!!

Rich R.
06-21-2005, 09:42 AM
As some of you may remember, Randy G. was kind enough to donate tuition for his Cue-Tech Pool School as one of the prizes for the 2004 CCB tournament.
I was fortunate enough to win it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Finally, this past weekend, I cashed in my prize and attended the road version of Randy's school, in Rockville, Md.

This school was 3 days of intense training for 9 to 10 hours each day. I want to be specific here, they don't full around. They do fill the time. We had only a 5 minute break, each morning, and another in the afternoon. During the morning break, we would pre-order lunch and they would plan to have it ready for us, at a certain time. We would leave the classroom, eat lunch, and go right back to work.

I'm not sure if there were any smokers in the class, but I can guarantee, if there were, they had a good start on kicking the habit, by the end of the weekend. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I have to confess. When planning to attend this school, I was eager to learn new things, but I was not sure that I could handle it. As the years go by, my attention span grows shorter. I was sure that I would be bored stiff, after the first full day, and I was thinking of ways that I could gracefully bow out of the class. Fortunately, I never had to worry about it.

I think everyone here knows that Randy has a ton of knowledge about pool. What you may not know is, Randy is an exceptional teacher and it is obvious that he, and his staff, have examined the best ways to teach. They divide the sessions between classroom training and discussions, with table time, practicing what was just discussed. I have to say, in 3 long days, totaling approximately 27 to 30 hours of training, I was never bored. I don't think anyone else in the class was either.

I'm sure some are interested in what was taught, in those three days.

First of all, Randy and his assistant Carl, were the main instructors. They provided all of the classroom training. There were also a couple certified instructors, from the local area, helping out, and one person who was working toward getting certified. All of this for approximately 10 students. You never had to go far for help. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well, of course, we all know that Randy is going to teach the SPFF method of shooting pool. There is no question about it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

They have broken that process down into small, individual segments and they teach and practice each segment, building one on top of the other. In each drill, you find out how to assess yourself to see if you are doing it correctly, or if you have a problem to work on.

In the classroom, you learn exactly what they would like you to learn to do and why they believe that it is the best way to do it. They cover both the scientific physics of why things work and they cover the natural workings of your body that make it all work for you. They also dispel a lot of myths about pool, that just aren't true.

Also, during each of the 3 days, they video taped each student shooting a specific set of shots. Then each student sat down with Randy, or his assistant Carl, and they studied and analyzed the video. This process was very interesting and you could clearly see areas that needed work and areas where you were improving.

I don't want to butt in on another thread, but, Randy also took time to teach us a little bit about the Supplemental Aiming System (SAM), which is based on one of Hal Houle's systems. From the little bit of time I spent on this system, I feel very positive about it and I believe it works and will help my game a lot. I look forward to fine tuning my use of SAM.

In a nut shell, I think Randy's Pool School was great and I recommend it without any reservations. I don't see how anyone could not improve their game, by attending this school. In general, it was the best planned and thought out training class, of any kind, that I have ever participated in.

There were a couple of students in the class, who were taking their follow-up session. Each stated that their game improved dramatically after taking the class the first time.

I want to thank Randy for his generous contribution to the CCB Tournament prize fund and making it possible for me to attend his school. I totally enjoyed it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooltchr
06-21-2005, 09:49 AM
Rich,
Glad you enjoyed it. Now all you have to do is start saving up for the Expert course. If you liked the Advanced course, the next level will blow you away!!!
Steve

Rich R.
06-21-2005, 10:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> Rich,
Glad you enjoyed it. Now all you have to do is start saving up for the Expert course. If you liked the Advanced course, the next level will blow you away!!!
Steve <hr /></blockquote>
Steve, I have a lot of work to do, on the things I have learned, including the adoption of some new habits and breaking of some old habits. It will be a while before I am ready for the "expert" course, but, when I'm ready, I will be there. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cane
06-21-2005, 11:01 AM
Steve, Oh, that old Expert Class? Cue balls flying around the the table, over the table, around the room, object balls jumping over stacks and blockers, cue balls jumping over blockers (after making a shot), follow jumps, stop jumps, draw jumps, slide draws, masse' and all that other boring stuff! LOL

Rich, he's right, it's two days of pure unaduterated fun. Jerry and I even played around for an hour or so making up shots that we've never seen. I actually used one of them in a match not too long ago. Blew the guys mind and he couldn't hit the end rail after that! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Later,
Bob (loves jumping an object ball over a blocker!)

dg-in-centralpa
06-21-2005, 02:22 PM
Rich,
Remember that match we were going to play at the Open? I concede. After going to school and me not being able to run three friggin' balls.....LOL Sounds like you had a great time. Hopefully when I'm back to normal(as if there is such a thing), I would like to attend his school as well.

DG

pooltchr
06-21-2005, 05:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> Bob (loves jumping an object ball over a blocker!) <hr /></blockquote>
I showed that to the owner of the pool room where I play, and it blew him away. He's been talking up my classes to everyone who walks through the door now!
Steve

Rich R.
06-21-2005, 06:10 PM
Cane, I'm not sure I can handle that much excitement. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich R.
06-21-2005, 06:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Rich,
Remember that match we were going to play at the Open? I concede. After going to school and me not being able to run three friggin' balls.....LOL Sounds like you had a great time. Hopefully when I'm back to normal(as if there is such a thing), I would like to attend his school as well.<hr /></blockquote>
Duane, I don't think you have anything to worry about. They warned us, we may play very badly for a while, because of all the changes. Since I'm a slow learner, I may not recover until the 2008 Open. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I think you would like the class. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cueless Joey
06-21-2005, 07:40 PM
I'm so jealous.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Alfie
06-21-2005, 11:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> I don't want to butt in on another thread, but, Randy also took time to teach us a little bit about the Supplemental Aiming System (SAM), <hr /></blockquote>Why is it called supplemental?

Alfie
06-21-2005, 11:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> Bob (loves jumping an object ball over a blocker!) <hr /></blockquote>Is it possible to jump an OB over the center of blocker cleanly?

Cane
06-22-2005, 02:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alfie:</font><hr> Is it possible to jump an OB over the center of blocker cleanly? <hr /></blockquote>

Alfie, Absolutely... takes a good stroke and a little practice, but yes, you can jump an object ball MORE than a ball high off of the playing surface.

Later,
Bob

Rich R.
06-22-2005, 02:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alfie:</font><hr>Why is it called supplemental? <hr /></blockquote>
Because it should be used to "supplement" whatever aiming system you are currently using.

Voodoo Daddy
06-22-2005, 04:15 AM
Rich...I'm not starting a war but if you didnt win the entry, would have gone anyway?

catscradle
06-22-2005, 04:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> ... We had only a 5 minute break, each morning, and another in the afternoon...
<hr /></blockquote>

Oh-oh, I'm going to his school next month, I guess I'd better suspend the use of the diaretic I take for high blood pressure that weekend or I'll be peeing my pants. lol. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich R.
06-22-2005, 06:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> Rich...I'm not starting a war but if you didnt win the entry, would have gone anyway? <hr /></blockquote>
Voodoo, because of all of the favorable comments, about Randy and his school, I was seriously considering it. I don't know if I would have made the trip to Texas to attend, but I knew that Randy has been coming close enough to me, to make it practical.

The only question in my mind, was if I could handle 3 days of intensive instruction. After attending the class, my only question is, why didn't I go sooner?

I was thrilled when I won the prize and there was no question about attending.

For those who paid to go, for $600, they received approximately 30 hours of instruction. That breaks down to $20 per hour. I don't think that was a bad deal. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I can tell you, everyone in my class left with a smile on their face and no one was complaining about the value of what they received for their money.

Rich R.
06-22-2005, 06:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr>Oh-oh, I'm going to his school next month, I guess I'd better suspend the use of the diaretic I take for high blood pressure that weekend or I'll be peeing my pants. lol. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Catscradle, I kept my alarm set for my normal 4am, so I could get up and take my Lasix. That way, it was done working before class. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Fred Agnir
06-22-2005, 07:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr>Oh-oh, I'm going to his school next month, I guess I'd better suspend the use of the diaretic I take for high blood pressure that weekend or I'll be peeing my pants. lol. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Catscradle, I kept my alarm set for my normal 4am, so I could get up and take my Lasix. That way, it was done working before class. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>Rich &amp; Steve,

Waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much information.

Fred

Rich R.
06-22-2005, 08:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> Rich &amp; Steve,

Waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much information.<hr /></blockquote>
When you get old, you have to discuss things like this. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Alfie
06-23-2005, 04:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alfie:</font><hr>Why is it called supplemental? <hr /></blockquote>
Because it should be used to "supplement" whatever aiming system you are currently using. <hr /></blockquote>Is it presented as one of many other SAMs? If so, are any of the others taught?

dmgwalsh
06-23-2005, 06:27 PM
Scott Lee was talking about getting one of these going in the Chicago area soon. It sounds very good and I hope to be able to do one of these myself, soon.

Rich R.
06-24-2005, 03:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alfie:</font><hr>Why is it called supplemental? <hr /></blockquote>
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr>Because it should be used to "supplement" whatever aiming system you are currently using. <hr /></blockquote>
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alfie:</font><hr> Is it presented as one of many other SAMs? If so, are any of the others taught? <hr /></blockquote>
Randy only taught one system, which he calls SAM. It was not part of the course and he taught it as an extra bonus at the end of day two. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich R.
06-24-2005, 03:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr> Scott Lee was talking about getting one of these going in the Chicago area soon. It sounds very good and I hope to be able to do one of these myself, soon. <hr /></blockquote>Scott and Randy are good friends and have worked together a number of times. Both are outstanding instructors. I would recommend attending, if you can.

Alfie
08-21-2005, 09:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alfie:</font><hr> Is it possible to jump an OB over the center of a blocker cleanly? <hr /></blockquote>

Alfie, Absolutely... takes a good stroke and a little practice, but yes, you can jump an object ball MORE than a ball high off of the playing surface.

Later,
Bob <hr /></blockquote>I know it is theoretically possible. Have you done it? Has anyone else here done this himself or seen another do it? Would y'all diagram what you did or witnessed on the Wei table, please?

theinel
08-22-2005, 04:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alfie:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alfie:</font><hr> Is it possible to jump an OB over the center of a blocker cleanly? <hr /></blockquote>

Later,
Bob <hr /></blockquote>I know it is theoretically possible. Have you done it? Has anyone else here done this himself or seen another do it? Would y'all diagram what you did or witnessed on the Wei table, please? <hr /></blockquote>
Alfie,

I have done it and seen it done by others many times. There is a standard trick shot ("The jump-out-of-the-rack" on page 8 of "Treasury of Trick Shots in Pool and Billiards" by Robert Byrne where an OB is placed just inside a rack, with the cue ball six to eight inches away outside of the rack. A standard jump shot is performed with the cue ball jumping over the near side of the rack and landing on the OB causing it to jump over the far side of the rack. I know that the rack is not the height of a full ball but with a decent jump shot and a little practice you can easily substitute a full ball where the far side of the rack would be. The closer you move the OB and the blocker ball the harder it becomes. Controlling the cue ball and preventing it from leaving the table is the real challenge. If you watch this shot being done from a side angle you can clearly see what is going on.

Here is my humble WEI interpretation...
START(
%At8\8%Bt9\8%CB8\3%DJ4L6%Et4\7%FB5\4%GB3\1%Ht7\5%I L5P5%JB9[7
%KC1\5%LB9\7%MC0\4%NB9]0%OB7\4%PO2T0%_D6C9%`J6H4%aL5O8%bM8P9
%cO2Q3%dO6S7
)END

Fred Agnir
08-22-2005, 05:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alfie:</font><hr> I know it is theoretically possible. Have you done it? Has anyone else here done this himself or seen another do it? Would y'all diagram what you did or witnessed on the Wei table, please? <hr /></blockquote>

Sure. First thing to consider is that it might be impossible if you're thinking of striking the object ball on the cueball's descent. If you hit the object ball on the cueball's ascent, it's a fairly "standard" trick shot.

Goto the Instroke Wei Table (not the RSB Wei Table)
http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/instroke/instroke_table.html

START(
%Ab9Z8%H_6Z9%Pe6Z7%T[7W0%Wg4Z0%Xq7T9%_d4[2%`d6[3%ae3Z6%bZ7Z3
%c_3Y1%db1Z2
)END

Pretend you're looking at the side view of the balls.

Fred