PDA

View Full Version : 2005 International Challenge of Champions

Harold Acosta
06-21-2005, 08:02 PM
Hello everyone:

Just ask me how I feel about this:

<font color="blue">
Thomas Engert, 2004 winner of the INTERNATIONAL CHALLENGE OF CHAMPIONS, travels from Germany to defend his crown.

Corey Deuel, winner of the 2004 Pro Tour Championship and Sudden Death 7-Ball Championship, will represent the USA.

Efren Reyes, 2004 Master of the Table Champion and the 2005 Japan Open Champion, will represent the Philippines.

Neils Feijen, winner of the 2004 Skins Billiards Championship and Euro Tour Champion, will represent the Netherlands.

Fong-Pang Chao, two-time winner of the INTERNATIONAL CHALLENGE OF CHAMPIONS and Taiwan National Champion, will represent Taiwan.

Gabe Owen, the 2004 U.S. Open Champion and the Mosconi Cup Champion will represent the USA.

Alan Rolon, the 2004 Panamerican Champion and five-time Puerto Rico Champion, will represent South America.
(Alan also is the 2005 Panamerican Champion and current Puerto Rico National Champion).

Yoshihiro Kitatani, 2004 Tokyo Grand Prix Champion and Japan National Champion, will represent Japan.
</font color>

Harold - Leader of the Puerto Rican Contingent at last year's US Open.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

tjlmbklr
06-22-2005, 05:31 AM
I look forward to it every year. Can't wait they should be some great matches.

LARRY_BOY
06-22-2005, 06:02 AM
I couldn't help but notice that Fast Larry's name was left off the list!

9 Ball Girl
06-22-2005, 07:21 AM
So Harold, how do you feel about this? LOL

I noticed Alan's name on the list about a day or two ago on the AZB site. I'm very happy to see your guys branching out. I'm looking forward to seeing Alan's matches too! I hope your contingent makes it to the Open this year!

Drop1
06-24-2005, 05:54 PM
Harold, how do you feel about this?

recoveryjones
06-25-2005, 12:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Harold Acosta:</font><hr> Hello everyone:

Just ask me how I feel about this:

<font color="blue">
Thomas Engert, 2004 winner of the INTERNATIONAL CHALLENGE OF CHAMPIONS, travels from Germany to defend his crown.

Corey Deuel, winner of the 2004 Pro Tour Championship and Sudden Death 7-Ball Championship, will represent the USA.

Efren Reyes, 2004 Master of the Table Champion and the 2005 Japan Open Champion, will represent the Philippines.

Neils Feijen, winner of the 2004 Skins Billiards Championship and Euro Tour Champion, will represent the Netherlands.

Fong-Pang Chao, two-time winner of the INTERNATIONAL CHALLENGE OF CHAMPIONS and Taiwan National Champion, will represent Taiwan.

Gabe Owen, the 2004 U.S. Open Champion and the Mosconi Cup Champion will represent the USA.

Alan Rolon, the 2004 Panamerican Champion and five-time Puerto Rico Champion, will represent South America.
(Alan also is the 2005 Panamerican Champion and current Puerto Rico National Champion).

Yoshihiro Kitatani, 2004 Tokyo Grand Prix Champion and Japan National Champion, will represent Japan.
</font color>

Harold - Leader of the Puerto Rican Contingent at last year's US Open.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I noticed that there were two entrants from the USA and only one from all the other countries.Why is this so, anyone know.It's not that they aren't great and both worthy players ,however, this is an INTERNATIONAL tournament of CHAMPIONS.

In my opinion there should only be one champion from each country.When there are two players from the same country, one is declared champion and the other is mearly second best.Being second best, doesn't make you the champion. The only exception (in my opinion) should be is when the returning champion automatically returns and if someone from his country has a much more superior year (this year) than him.JMO, RJ

ps. Where is Hohmann? Winner of the BCA and runner-up in the US Open, which in my opinion have to be considered two of pools MAJORS.

theinel
06-25-2005, 01:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr>In my opinion there should only be one champion from each country. When there are two players from the same country, one is declared champion and the other is mearly second best.<hr /></blockquote>I agree that Champions only has a certain justice to it but when you compare populations then two from the US seems quite reasonable. The US is at around 296M, Japan is at 127M, the Phillipines are at 88M, Germany is at 82M, Taiwan is at 23M, the Netherlands are at 16M, and Puerto Rico is at 4M. I think by Champions they don't mean National Champions they just mean people that have won a national level event.
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr>ps. Where is Hohmann? Winner of the BCA and runner-up in the US Open, which in my opinion have to be considered two of pools MAJORS. <hr /></blockquote>He is definitely playing great so he must have had other commitments or he would likely be involved.

sneakypapi
06-25-2005, 10:22 AM
You have to remember this event is an independant invite only tournament, so technically speaking they can invite anybody they want to. Hohmann has played this event last year for sure, maybe they want to diverisfy the event to some players who we have not seen before in the US on TV Some of the players listed have played before of course, but they have crowd appeal and are popular to this event.

By the way is 9 ball girl going?

recoveryjones
06-25-2005, 10:39 AM
All of pools most dominant nations are represented here including The Phillipines, Taiwan,Germany, the Netherlands.Japan and the USA.

Personally I'd rather see two from the USA(that are as talented as Deuel and Owen)than say the Champion of Iceland...LOL,who may be a B+ player or something.

Perhaps they could have included someone from Canada(Martel,Salvas), Britian (Steve Davis,Steve Knight)or some other country that does have worthy talent.

Having said all of this, I'm looking forward to seeing Deuel and Owen play because they are both definitly worth watching. RJ

Harold Acosta
06-25-2005, 03:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote theinel:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr>In my opinion there should only be one champion from each country. When there are two players from the same country, one is declared champion and the other is mearly second best.<hr /></blockquote>I agree that Champions only has a certain justice to it but when you compare populations then two from the US seems quite reasonable. The US is at around 296M, Japan is at 127M, the Phillipines are at 88M, Germany is at 82M, Taiwan is at 23M, the Netherlands are at 16M, and Puerto Rico is at 4M. I think by Champions they don't mean National Champions they just mean people that have won a national level event.
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr>ps. Where is Hohmann? Winner of the BCA and runner-up in the US Open, which in my opinion have to be considered two of pools MAJORS. <hr /></blockquote>He is definitely playing great so he must have had other commitments or he would likely be involved. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> theinel:

The CPB Champion was selected from the Panamerican 9 Ball Championship. The CPB has 17 countries under their belt (we are listed within the member countries of the World Pool Billiards Association), with 2 additional countries pending affiliation.

This year Fifteen countries participated in the event. Netherland Antilles, Argentina, Aruba, Bonaire, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guadaloupe, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, Puerto Rico and Venezuela.

Other CPB member-countries include Brasil, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Honduras and Uruguay but they did not make it to this year's event.

It was a 64 player, double elimination tournament, races to 9. Each country brings their National Champion plus their best additional Players.

Therefore, this year's CPB representative, which happens to be from Puerto Rico, represents a lot more than the 4 million habitants of our Island, since the representation includes Mexico, all of Central America and all of South America.

The same could be said of the other World Champions included in this event. They are not only representing their country; they are representing the Region to which they play under the World Pool-Billiard Association.

For more info about the WPA Regions, please check at the following link:

http://www.wpa-pool.com/index.asp?content=member_list

The players of this year's event, are true Champions and representatives. We might not be seeing the entire scope of all this since we are just seeing their names and a very short bio.

I don't know all the parameters for selection but I'm happy to have the CPB Region represented, and the feeling is even better, knowing that someone from our tiny Island Nation has been included at this great tournament. You can be certain that all Latin American Countries will be very interested in how our representative matches against some of the best known World Players.

This is also another great opportunity for broadcasting to all the Latin Community of the World. There were more than 300 million Spanish-speaking habitants in the 1980's and there is probably much more right now in this World.

Therefore, looking at it from this point of view, this single event will definitely have great impact within all known Nations around the entire World. Just think about this for a moment.

Just my 2 cents about the International Challenge of Champions....

Harold Acosta - President
Federacion Puertorriquena de Billar
(Puerto Rico Billiard Federation) </font color>

Harold Acosta
06-25-2005, 03:14 PM
Sorry I took some time to respond; been very busy lately.

Alan is playing his best pool right now. I really hope he can demonstrate his great potential at this tournament.

It is probable that Alan, Jason and several others will make it again to the Open this year. We'll know for sure before the event.

theinel
06-25-2005, 10:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Harold Acosta:</font><hr>The CPB Champion was selected from the Panamerican 9 Ball Championship. The CPB has 17 countries under their belt (we are listed within the member countries of the World Pool Billiards Association), with 2 additional countries pending affiliation.

Therefore, this year's CPB representative, which happens to be from Puerto Rico, represents a lot more than the 4 million habitants of our Island, since the representation includes Mexico, all of Central America and all of South America.<hr /></blockquote>Thank you for sharing this. I meant no offense to the countries listed with smaller populations than the US I was just unaware of what the selection process was for the event and thought that it wasn't having won a national title. Best of luck supporting/promoting billiards in your area.