PDA

View Full Version : Planning on opening pool hall - need advise

TheFish
06-13-2002, 01:23 AM
Ok, here it is. I am a sucky but avid pool player. And I realized that there is not a single pool hall in the country where I live (in Asia).

I want to open an upscale billiards/bar (maybe restaurant too) in an upscale downtown area of the city.

I am hoping some owners and managers and players can give me some tips, and if possible even some layout ideas so I can figure out how much space i need. I am hoping for 10 pool tables and 2 snooker tables minimum with a small bar. Is 6000 ft enough for this? Because of expensive rent, I cant buy ground floor, so I might have to get a second level, ironically I might be able to do a really cool design, and rent 3 floors for the pool table.

Any help is appreciated. My email is attached to my name if you want to email me in private.

If you want to consider investing, you can also email me.

Thanks

Doctor_D
06-13-2002, 04:55 AM
Good morning:

Conceptual ideas, as well as preliminary planning for the number of tables and square footage requirements are fine. However; in the absence of a solid Business Plan, Budget, Forecast, Revenue Model and Marketing Plan your dream could die as quickly as it became a reality. Considerations like cost of architectural designs, construction and decorating, equipment, staffing, insurance, advertising and all those items that we have not even discussed yet, will way heavily on you and the success of the room. Cash capital, to establish operations and support operations until the room has sufficient revenues to be self supporting, is a major issue for consideration. Your room, depending on how sophisticated and/or elegant you desire it to be, can require from a minimum of $500,000.00 to well over $1.5 million to set up. Develop your plan, as well as to plan your course of action, with competent professionals and your room will not only become a reality it will be profitable.

Dr. D.

06-13-2002, 06:24 AM
I have recently opened a pool hall in a small town in Northwest Florida with the population 8,000. One thing that I considered about this was that there is a very large Military base near by as well as a Community college, which meant that there would be a target group to serve, mainly, single, 20-35 year old, mostly male, and looking for recreation. The business has been doing great.

As far as how much you need to spend, expect to spend between $180,000-$400,000 for a medium sized place. Here are some expenses I had (rounded to thousand):

8 tables, 9ft Gandy : $13,000
restaurant equipment: $11,000
furniture (tables, stools, chairs, bar): $8,000
pool equipment: $2000
decorations, paint, lighting, carpet: $9,000
televisions (10 medium and 2 large): $2,500

These expensed do not even include building cost, utilities (about $900 per month), staff salaries, food, drink, beer cost, computer equipment, sports programming, and advertising.

Now I do not want to make it seem impossible to open a pool hall. My family and I are having a great time being in the business. The most important thing to realize is this: will people come? If yes, than go right at it. But you have to make a commitment to put out initial expenses to make the place look and feel comfortable. You can serve the worst food and beer, but if they like the atsmosphere, they will come back.

Also, if you are serious about making your place a "player's pool hall," do not hold back by buying cheap equipment. I have Gandy tables with Simoni cloth that are second to none with Cuetec cues. With better equipment, pool players will come back and not think of your place as just another bar with pool tables.

One last suggestion that I consider my "secret," but will tell everyone anyways is start a free late night tournament. On Sundays through Thursdays, I have a FREE 8-ball tournament that starts at 11pm. The winner receives a free $20 bar tab good for one week, and second place receives a free small pizza. Yes, I pay this out 4 times a week, but once you win, you cannot play again until the next Sunday. The reason I have this free late night tournament is that usually the serious pool players do not come after 11pm (most of the money action at my place is between 4pm-10pm) and the tables would be sitting there not used anyways. With this gimmick, our place will give them a reason to come back and drink and eat food late at night while they play free pool.

Good luck with your dream and e-mail me back if you have any questions.

Vagabond
06-13-2002, 12:15 PM
Howdy,
BCA published a book or ? a manual that gives good details about starting a pool hall.I do not know how much the book costs.I recommend that book inspite the conditions in a Asian country might differ( example: in many asian countries the Mayor`s office expects a big bribe to give the license to start,police expect some.... for your continued operation,Health department expects some grease etc.)By the way if it is in Asian country u have to be concerned about the additional costs of importing tables from here.Good Luck
Vagabond