PDA

View Full Version : Predator shafts are hollow.

Chopstick
06-22-2005, 07:33 AM
It's drilled out 5 1/2 inches total with the first 2 1/2 inches being drilled with a larger bit. There is also some kind of pink stuff right under the ferrel. I guess that's how they get the weight reduction.

http://www.bobthebarfly.com/predator.jpg

It kind of shows this in their add. I never would have guessed it was hollow.

http://www.predatorcues.com/english/spliceandfrontend.jpg

Fred Agnir
06-22-2005, 07:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> It's drilled out 5 1/2 inches total with the first 2 1/2 inches being drilled with a larger bit.
I never would have guessed it was hollow. <hr /></blockquote>I assume that out of the 10,000+ posts about Predator over the years, you pretty much passed over them?

Fred

Chopstick
06-22-2005, 07:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> It's drilled out 5 1/2 inches total with the first 2 1/2 inches being drilled with a larger bit.
I never would have guessed it was hollow. <hr /></blockquote>I assume that out of the 10,000+ posts about Predator over the years, you pretty much passed over them?

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Obviously, I never saw anything like this mentioned.

SpiderMan
06-22-2005, 07:51 AM
This is the first time I've seen anyone post a picture of one they've cross-sectioned. I wonder what the "pink stuff" is?

SpiderMan

Fred Agnir
06-22-2005, 07:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> This is the first time I've seen anyone post a picture of one they've cross-sectioned. I wonder what the "pink stuff" is?

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Vibration dampening shmootz?
Tar?
Great Stuff Foam?
Anti-deflection magnet?

Fred &lt;~~~ did I spell that right?

Qtec
06-22-2005, 08:03 AM
Its a sort of foam. I believe I read somewhere that it has something to do with giving the Q a better sound. ie not hollow.

Qtec

pooltchr
06-22-2005, 08:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> I wonder what the "pink stuff" is?

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Maybe it's Predator version of KY Jelly...

Cueless Joey
06-22-2005, 08:14 AM
It's some sort of foam to dampen the sound.

Brian in VA
06-22-2005, 08:23 AM
It's the foam version of unobtainium, one of the rarest of rare earth elements. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif It also adds to the price.

Brian in VA

LARRY_BOY
06-22-2005, 08:40 AM
Speaking of price Predator just introduced a 10th aniversary P2......looks pretty slick on there web site.

Barbara
06-22-2005, 08:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Brian in VA:</font><hr> It's the foam version of unobtainium, one of the rarest of rare earth elements. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif It also adds to the price.

Brian in VA <hr /></blockquote>

LMAO!!!

Barbara

catscradle
06-22-2005, 09:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Brian in VA:</font><hr> It's the foam version of unobtainium, one of the rarest of rare earth elements. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif It also adds to the price.

Brian in VA <hr /></blockquote>

I knew a woman once who I think was exposed to the radiation from "unobtainium".

dr_dave
06-22-2005, 09:32 AM
Thanks for posting the picture. It's always fun to see the real thing (and not just the "marketing" illustrations). FYI to you and others, another thread (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=176714&amp;page =0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;vc=1) described the relationship between reduced mass and squirt. Less end mass results in less squirt.

Regards,
Dave

SPetty
06-22-2005, 10:15 AM
Did you cut it? How? Why?

Eric.
06-22-2005, 11:08 AM
My neighbor and I did the same thing with a BK a few years ago. I'll find the post when I get a chance.

We used a table saw with a round blade (like a circular saw) and you just use a block of wood to push the shaft into the saw. FWIW, that's exactly what a BK shaft looks like.

Eric &gt;why? why not?

rocky
06-22-2005, 11:28 AM
The pink foam is there to keep particles from falling down into the hollow portion of the shaft and causing a rattling.

Fred Agnir
06-22-2005, 11:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rocky:</font><hr> The pink foam is there to keep particles from falling down into the hollow portion of the shaft and causing a rattling. <hr /></blockquote>Ah! That makes sense. We used that trick in the tube ring fabrication industry. When you butt weld the ends, some weld slag is sure to fall inside. We shot some glue in there prior to welding to catch the debris.

Fred

SpiderMan
06-22-2005, 03:13 PM
I did the same thing once. When replacing a broken tenon, I found that I had drilled a little too deep, and the replacement tenon would be too short if pressed in fully. So, I packed the bottom of the hole full of styrofoam bits and a little epoxy, and used the tenon to compress it down further until I had the length I wanted. As far as I know, the stick is still working fine with no noises and no splitting.

SpiderMan

theinel
06-23-2005, 12:54 AM
Hi Chopstick. I can guess from the picture but since you have the actual shaft what is the diameter of the hollow portion? I knew the inner portion of these shafts was hollow but I had my Predator turned down to 11.5mm and I'm just wondering how far I might be from "breaking on through to the other side".

rocky
06-23-2005, 05:49 AM
You are very lucky that is has not already broken, not to mention that you have turned it down past warranty level. The fact that the shaft is hollow is the reason that we don't warranty shafts past 12.25 in the 314 and 11.25 in the Z shaft.

Chopstick
06-23-2005, 06:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote theinel:</font><hr> Hi Chopstick. I can guess from the picture but since you have the actual shaft what is the diameter of the hollow portion? I knew the inner portion of these shafts was hollow but I had my Predator turned down to 11.5mm and I'm just wondering how far I might be from "breaking on through to the other side". <hr /></blockquote>

I couldn't measure the hollow. My measuring tools are limited. What I did was measure the thickness of the wood. All I have is a couple of really old calipers so don't hold me to this.

This shaft measures 12.75mm. The thickness of the wood in the upper section near the ferrel is 2.5mm. Farther down in the thicker section it is 3.5mm. So, I guess your at about 1.25mm thichness in the shaft walls near the ferrel.

Chopstick
06-23-2005, 06:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Did you cut it? How? Why? <hr /></blockquote>

You did have to go and bring that up. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Well, when you have a house full of drunken strippers over to shoot pool, as I do on a semi regular basis, these kinds of things are bound to happen. Especially when you are chasin' 'em around the table, not paying attention to what you're doing, like the DOM that I am.

Yes, the shaft in question is mine and yes, I broke it. http://www.bobthebarfly.com/eek3.gif

I thought some of the folks here might like to see a picture of it. On second thought, given this crowd they would probably rather see pictures of the ho's I was chasin'.

ChopStick~~~&gt;drankin', ho chasin', golfin', fishin', pool. It's what I do. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

tjlmbklr
06-23-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
they would probably rather see pictures of the ho's I was chasin'<hr /></blockquote>

Yah, I am going to have to see these pictures for proof....!

Harold Acosta
06-23-2005, 07:02 PM
5,000 of those posts were mine....

theinel
06-25-2005, 12:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr>I couldn't measure the hollow. My measuring tools are limited. What I did was measure the thickness of the wood. All I have is a couple of really old calipers so don't hold me to this.

This shaft measures 12.75mm. The thickness of the wood in the upper section near the ferrel is 2.5mm. Farther down in the thicker section it is 3.5mm. So, I guess your at about 1.25mm thichness in the shaft walls near the ferrel. <hr /></blockquote>
Thanks Chopstick. I've been debating on whether to get a new shaft and whether or not to cut my current shaft in half when I get a new one. Either way you just saved me money.