PDA

View Full Version : RiverDance

SpiderMan
06-22-2005, 11:00 AM
Took my girlfriend to opening night of RiverDance last night. We had great seats (1st row center), and the performances were pretty amazing by both the musicians and actors alike, but I have to ask .....

What's it about? There seemed to be some implication of a plot, but I couldn't for the life of me figure it out. I saw it as mainly a collection of short performances. At one point there was narration about some sort of death, followed by a solo on the armpit flute. How does that fit in?

Has anyone seen this thing in another city? Did they give you some sort of program to explain the theme? Am I just culturally ignorant?

SpiderMan

wolfdancer
06-22-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What's it about? There seemed to be some implication of a plot, but I couldn't for the life of me figure it out. <hr /></blockquote>
to understand it, you would have to be trained in classical ballet like I was...in fact, as the world's first 200+ lb ballet dancer, I learned a new meaning of the Nutcracker ballet, trying a "jete" in spandex, while 40 lbs overweight.

[ QUOTE ]
Am I just culturally ignorant? <hr /></blockquote>
not you per se...it's just that the cultural revolution hasn't dropped below the Mason-Dixon line as of yet.
The riverdance is my anchestor's country's gift to the civilized world...we had already offered up Mulligan Stew, and Green Beer, and Eddie Murphy...it was time to add something artistic....perhaps the square shooters, and square dancers, from the great city of Dallas were not ready? p&gt;
c=1

MikeM
06-23-2005, 06:02 AM
Read all about it here:

http://www.riverdance.com/index.htm

SpiderMan
06-23-2005, 08:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
What's it about? There seemed to be some implication of a plot, but I couldn't for the life of me figure it out. <hr /></blockquote>
to understand it, you would have to be trained in classical ballet like I was...in fact, as the world's first 200+ lb ballet dancer, I learned a new meaning of the Nutcracker ballet, trying a "jete" in spandex, while 40 lbs overweight.

&lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
Am I just culturally ignorant? <hr /></blockquote>
not you per se...it's just that the cultural revolution hasn't dropped below the Mason-Dixon line as of yet.
The riverdance is my anchestor's country's gift to the civilized world...we had already offered up Mulligan Stew, and Green Beer, and Eddie Murphy...it was time to add something artistic....perhaps the square shooters, and square dancers, from the great city of Dallas were not ready? p&gt;
c=1 <hr /></blockquote>

Hey, I'm Irish too, and this was still Greek to me /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan