PDA

View Full Version : 9-ball tournament help

06-13-2002, 08:03 AM
Hi there, my name is Evie, and I just took over as a pool-hall manager. I have played for many years, but now I need to put on a 9-ball tournament, and I am completely lost. Any advice or websites that can help?

Troy
06-13-2002, 08:31 AM
You can download tournament charts at http://www.playpool.com/download.php, click on "Tournament Charts" and choose the right size and format (single or double elimination) that suits your needs.

Example -- If you have 28 players, choose the 32 player chart and spread the 4 byes evenly on the chart.

Troy

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: evie:</font><hr> Hi there, my name is Evie, and I just took over as a pool-hall manager. I have played for many years, but now I need to put on a 9-ball tournament, and I am completely lost. Any advice or websites that can help? <hr></blockquote>

Mr Ingrate
06-13-2002, 12:18 PM
Evie,

If you have a PC available for the tournament, you can also download The Pool Tournament Manager from Ed's site at http://www.playpool.com./tptm/. It runs under Windows '95/'98/NT. It is not guaranteed to run on newer versions of the Windows operating system although some have installed it successfuly under ME and XP.

I know the author and he does good work. &lt;BG&gt;

Holly
06-13-2002, 01:52 PM
Hi Evie,

The playpool.com tournament manager that Ed Mercier put together is wonderful. I also suggest that you contact Danny Green of PlanetPool (http://www.planetpool.com)
He has put together a great spreadsheet of the DC/MD/VA area weekly tourny's. Once you've decided on what day of the week the tourny will be held, entry fee, format and so forth...send him an email with all that info. and the address and contact number of the poolroom and he can add it to his list.

Hope to see you at Shirlington in June. Hope you got the reply email I sent you and all the best of luck in your new job!

By the way, which poolroom?

Take care,
Holly

SPetty
06-13-2002, 02:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Holly:</font><hr>The playpool.com tournament manager that Ed Mercier put together is wonderful.
<hr></blockquote>Hi Holly,

Just because I'm a stickler for details, I wanted to clarify that it was the inimitable David L. Syrja who authored the The Pool Tournament Manager software that you're referring to. Some people think of him as an Ingrate, but we know he's a good guy, even if he is in Canada!

jjinfla
06-13-2002, 04:56 PM
Haven't seen any of Dave's posts in some time. Did he make the move to Canada and forget to take his computer with him? Jake

Mr Ingrate
06-13-2002, 06:53 PM
Hi Jake,

I sign on this board as Mr Ingrate. Some time ago a brand new CCB poster took me to task for being an ingrate for my comments about the way Billiard's Digest was running their board and their refusal to tell me who had been awarded the Lucasi Cue. Of course I still haven't found out. George Fels said he would find out for me but never got back to me. So, I assumed they welched on their deal.

Lorri, who tagged me as an ingrate, wasn't privy to the suggestions and research I did on suggesting corrections, etc., for the board since those messages had scrolled off before she came on.

Even though I felt my criticisms were largely constructive, it amused me (my strange sense of humour) to sign up on the NEW IMPROVED CCB as Mr. Ingrate. If you click on the profile you will see my name and e-mail address.

I should have sent you a private e-mail before this and I will take care of that oversight right away.

As part of the move, I now sign on the other boards as Dave in Victoria so there is not confusion with all the other Daves.

Mr Ingrate
06-13-2002, 06:58 PM
Thank you for the kind words.

06-13-2002, 09:46 PM
Forgive me, please Mr. Ingrate, as I was so young and arrogant back then! As you can see, not much has changed save the youth! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Rich R.
06-14-2002, 05:59 AM
I'm sorry to say that I do not make a habit of checking the profiles of all posters. I had no idea that you were using a new name. I am very happy to know that you are still here.
Now I wonder if some of the other people that I miss are using new names or just being Anonymous.
Rich R.

06-14-2002, 06:41 AM
Starting out, I don't see why you need a software program or any other tournament manager system. The simplest thing to do is get the 8, 16 and 32 man double elimination charts from playpool.com, depending on how many people you expect to show, and then have the appropriate ones blown up and made into a big chart, I had this done at a photo shop near here, Kinko's can do it. Then, with a little tripod or stand, you've got a good start. The next step is to understand placement of byes. In the past there has been lots of good discussion of this at the rec.sport.billiard newsgroup, you can access the archives through Google. You use a chart depending on how may people show. If 12 people show, you use a 16 man chart. A bye goes in each quarter of the chart, since you have four byes. If someone shows up late, you can let them in by having them pull a pill for one of the 4 bye spots, at least that's how we do it. There is no such thing as a 12 man chart, or a 14 man chart, etc. Use either 8, 16, 32, 64, etc. Look for the explanation of bye selection.

In our tournament, we've run into a problem in that the same people tend to win, and we have some weaker players that tend to lose. Instead of having a random draw, lately we've been pitting the weaker players against each other on the chart, and then drawing for the remaining spots.

Thunderbolt

Chris Cass
06-14-2002, 07:22 AM
Ah Ha,

I knew it was a matter of time before I'd find you Dave. I'm surprized my field operative Barbara(call her Babs and she'll rip your face off)didn't inform me of this? Go figure, help isn't what it was 20 yrs. ago.

I seem to recall you moving to Canada to avoid the draft? I'm all over this one Dave. It's recently been spotted in Vegas at the Riv. Strange how it's strong enough to knock a beer can from your hand. Definitly have to look into this.

Regards,

C.C.~~Dick, Dick and Dick...the saga continues....

PS: good to hear your here, Dave...

Holly
06-14-2002, 10:27 AM
SPetty,

Thanks for the info. I type corrected : ) No disrespect to anyone for my faux pas.

Holly

Mr Ingrate
06-14-2002, 10:48 AM
Hi Lorri,

Nothing to forgive. Besides it gave me a new "handle" for the new board .... almost as effective as Anonymous.

Barbara
06-14-2002, 01:14 PM
Hey Big Guy!! Long time no see!!! I tried to respond to this post last night but my post wouldn't go through, so ignore CC's comment.

We missed you in Vegas. So how have you been?

Barbara

Barbara
06-14-2002, 01:15 PM
I was going to let you know last night but the CCB's server was acting up and after trying to post for 15 minutes I gave up and logged off!!

Barbara~~~&gt;aka Agent 99

06-14-2002, 01:24 PM
Hi Thunderbolt.
I've played in 4 handicap tournaments in a subburb of Chicago. Whoever wins gets raised 1 point. I think all the in the money finishers get raised 1/2 point. I started at a 5. I did poorly in my first 3 tournaments. The owner wanted to lower me to a 4 1/2. But I said I prefer to stay at 5. But I guess he raises all in the money finishers. And he lowers those that are playing poorly and winning very few games. He has books with all the tournament results for a couple years I think. Or maybe it's just all the in the money finishers. After each match you go up to the counter and he marks down who won and the score of each match. By score I mean games won like 6 to 3 etc.

Mr Ingrate
06-14-2002, 01:44 PM
Hi Barbera,

Doing great. The effects of chemo are all gone. Unfortunately, the weight didn't stay off. I've kept the beard off and my hair is now quite short. I look like a different person (to me anyway).

I had to miss Vegas this year as we were in the middle of selling the house and moving.

Victoria is paradise!

06-14-2002, 07:23 PM
I came in late, so I had no idea! Dave, I'm so glad you're still with us, in a lot of ways!!!! Chemo is a bitch! But you'd have traded my reason for yours, I'd be willing to bet. My best and biggest wishes for a long and healthy future, Dave. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
Lorri

06-15-2002, 07:53 AM
Eddie G,
How does the handicap work? Like when a 4 plays a 6, what's the handicap? One plays a race to 4, the other a race to 6? Or do they give them the 8? Thanks.

Thunderbolt

Mr Ingrate
06-15-2002, 12:13 PM
Thank you Lorri,

There were some 8 inches of large instestine removed, along with a tumor the size of a snooker ball, during the bowel resection operation. It was high enough up so they could re-attach it (no bag). The operation was a snap ... the chemo was something else.

I bored the board recounting my experiences and started a small contest. Unfortunately, you can't access the board archives to read any of the posts. I do have what I wrote on my personal web site: http://www.syrja.net and I think Barbara probably saved the whole thread with the hilarious responses to my drug induced rambling. Love that morphine.

I, of course, didn't save any responses because I was sure that I could get BD to make the archives work.

On the bright side, since my waste management capacity has been drastically reduced, I am no longer as full of shlt as before.

Barbara
06-15-2002, 01:33 PM
Why yes Dave, I did save that thread!! I just went back and re-read some of the posts and am still laughing. Lorri's welcome to read it when we see each other next weekend at Castle.

Barbara~~~also saved Fran Crimi's combat workshop thread...

06-15-2002, 05:36 PM
Thunderbolt. You play to your handicap. You have to win a number of games equal to your handicap. So a 4 would only need 4 wins and the 6 would need 6 wins. All 1/2 points are rounded down in the early, non money rounds. And the 1/2 points are rounded up in the later, in the money rounds. Sometimes 4 places have been paid and sometimes eight places have been paid. The winner of each tournament get raised 1 point. And all in the money finishers get raised 1/2 point. I'm not sure how he lowers people's handicap. But it seems like there are always a couple players asking to have their handicaps lowered. And I saw him take out big 3 ring binders with results from the last couple years. One of the players looked through them. Finally he said here. I haven't won since Jan. The owner checked. He said this shows me you won as a 10. So you are capable of winning as a 10. This player was a 9 now. He said I will lower you to an 8 1/2 but now lower then that. The player said thanks and turned away.

I remarked to the owner. It seems like I'm the only one who is trying to go up in his handicap. The other player overheard. He looked at me and said I've been playing for two years and only won 1 tournament. How long have you been playing. I said only 4 tournaments. But I'm trying to get better. Early Rich wanted to lower me. I prefer to have to get better or play better to win. I wasn't meaning anything bad against you. And he said will see what you want if you even last playing for a couple months. And we dropped it.

I probably should have challenged him to a match then for a few bucks. Just for kicks. But I just shut up.